COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Mine are virtually spineless. But the flower buds have tons of little fine spines. I was scraping off the spines. Then found out from knowledgeable members here it was fine to feed to Opo as is. Been feeding them to Opo for about a year, spines and all with no problems.
I can send you some pads if you want to try again.
My other one is growing fine. I don't have enough room in the house to really keep a lot of them and that's where they would have to be in the winter so no but thanks for offering. For some reason that one really didn't root good. I found out that when when I got my revenge. It was weird because when I planted them they didn't hurt me so it was a complete surprise. Plus when I cut or do bad things to the ends of my fingers I don't always feel it right away. So I didn't know it was happening. I've managed to get rid of most of them with lotion and washing and scrubbing. I'll live.??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Did some research and it looks like I have mealybugs on my cactus. Now I need to figure out the best way to rid of them.
View attachment 316182

You get some dawn dish detergent....mix it up with water, wipe on the buggies.... that usually works. As does Safer Insecticidal Soap - spray on -

It’s a very safe product to use..

✅ Safer Brand Insecticidal Soap is made from naturally occurring plant oils and animal fats. Penetrates the protective outer shell of soft bodied insect pests and causes dehydration and death within hours. OMRI Listed for use in organic production. Insecticidal Soap can be used inside or out to kill aphids, mealybugs, spider mites, whiteflies and more. Does NOT kill beneficial insects, such as ladybugs and praying mantis and leaves behind NO chemical residues. MAY BE USED UP TO THE DAY OF HARVEST.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So sorry to hear your feeling low, Linda. It can be really depressing even for the most upbeat of us. So much bad news all the time about strains of covid or the loss of friends and being stuck at home -it woud be a miracle if it didn't get to us......... it certainly gets to me. Chatting here helps take my mind off things though and this is a great place to let off steam, so don't worry about being cheery - just say what you feel!
I'm sure your daughter will forgive you soon enough - she must find it tough too so she'll know how you feel.
Yep we're all stuck at home and the news doesn't really tell the stories about the survivors. It's way better having people to talk about it with. Or talk about something else entirely ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ya think there's gonna be a run on Amazon's plastic butterflies?
[/QUOTE
Probably! And once I get ahold of one I'll know how to make it. For sure. I think I'll order both. I'll time my sister's to arrive at around the same time as my brothers cause her birthday is around the beginning of November. I have plans.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Whenever I click on links I go to the page/thread but then have to log in again to post, even though I'm still logged in on the page I was on......so a double log in!
I thought there was something with wrong with a link I tried the other day, but just tried the link for Alecks tort name and same happened again. Anyone else having this trouble?
Not yet. Hope and pray I don't soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You get some dawn dish detergent....mix it up with water, wipe on the buggies.... that usually works. As does Safer Insecticidal Soap - spray on -

It’s a very safe product to use..

✅ Safer Brand Insecticidal Soap is made from naturally occurring plant oils and animal fats. Penetrates the protective outer shell of soft bodied insect pests and causes dehydration and death within hours. OMRI Listed for use in organic production. Insecticidal Soap can be used inside or out to kill aphids, mealybugs, spider mites, whiteflies and more. Does NOT kill beneficial insects, such as ladybugs and praying mantis and leaves behind NO chemical residues. MAY BE USED UP TO THE DAY OF HARVEST.
?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I’m feeling a bit better this afternoon. There’s widespread snow across the UK, but we missed out and got chilly sunshine instead.

We went out for a welly walk at the country park on the outskirts of town. (UK Wellies = wellington boots = US gumboots)

The area is upriver from the flood barrier, a long dam that protects our town from the worst of the flooding, and it gets very muddy indeed at this time of year.

Still it was good for all 3 of is to be out in the fresh air. This photo was taken over the main lake as we finished our walk.
View attachment 316164
That's really beautiful. I can just imagine the photos you didn't get. Nice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I just popped in for a last catch up before bed.
The weather forecast has changed and hopefully any snow will be over by 8 am with temps rising to 3C so a bit better than they were saying earlier.
Lola has stayed in his cosy hide today and not even moved for food, but he was OK when I checked on him.
He just looked at me with disdain as if to say 'What do you want? I didn't call for staff!'
If I didn't have to get up to see to him I think I would stay in bed all day too!
Talking of which I'll say Nos Da now
So take care and see you all tomorrow.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I just popped in for a last catch up before bed.
The weather forecast has changed and hopefully any snow will be over by 8 am with temps rising to 3C so a bit better than they were saying earlier.
Lola has stayed in his cosy hide today and not even moved for food, but he was OK when I checked on him.
He just looked at me with disdain as if to say 'What do you want? I didn't call for staff!'
If I didn't have to get up to see to him I think I would stay in bed all day too!
Talking of which I'll say Nos Da now
So take care and see you all tomorrow.
Goodnight Lyn!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My other one is growing fine. I don't have enough room in the house to really keep a lot of them and that's where they would have to be in the winter so no but thanks for offering. For some reason that one really didn't root good. I found out that when when I got my revenge. It was weird because when I planted them they didn't hurt me so it was a complete surprise. Plus when I cut or do bad things to the ends of my fingers I don't always feel it right away. So I didn't know it was happening. I've managed to get rid of most of them with lotion and washing and scrubbing. I'll live.??
Ok,that's what I was wondering if the cactus would survive your winters. I have a spine in my palm right now that I can't get.?