COLD DARK ROOM

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
We always do non-traditional food. Today is baked Atlantic Salmon. Just finished a few toast crusts with smoked salmon, goat cheese & sprinkled with a bit of black pepper & sea salt.

Christmas dinner - who knows., !

So many lockdowns.....sad.
When my kids were growing up and I was a sorta normal Mom (that's a lie) I did the turkey one year and Taco Bell the next, but being as Oregon is closed again my son and his wife and my granddaughter who is now my grandson, or 'them', and their girlfriend who used to be a male but is now she her are coming at 2 for a taco bar. We will implement social distancing, masks when not eating or drinking, cooking and serving we will wear gloves then throw them away before we sit down to eat. Virtual hugging only, 1 person at a time in the tort shed, no touching the box turtles as they have some sort of disease where they have big closed eyes, not eating, not moving much and now 4 turtles in the same tort table are sick. Oh gosh writing it out in sentences give me a small glimpse of what I'm saying, reading it all at once is horrifying...my whole family is a soap opera lolololol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When my kids were growing up and I was a sorta normal Mom (that's a lie) I did the turkey one year and Taco Bell the next, but being as Oregon is closed again my son and his wife and my granddaughter who is now my grandson, or 'them', and their girlfriend who used to be a male but is now she her are coming at 2 for a taco bar. We will implement social distancing, masks when not eating or drinking, cooking and serving we will wear gloves then throw them away before we sit down to eat. Virtual hugging only, 1 person at a time in the tort shed, no touching the box turtles as they have some sort of disease where they have big closed eyes, not eating, not moving much and now 4 turtles in the same tort table are sick. Oh gosh writing it out in sentences give me a small glimpse of what I'm saying, reading it all at once is horrifying...my whole family is a soap opera lolololol

Emily?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow!!!! that is beautiful. Your brother is very talented.
That's what his teacher said also. He's going to use one of his latest projects as a classroom project. What's really kinda neat is our father was a machinist. But my brother Johnny didn't really know that because our father died very young and yet Johnny has that desire and promise.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
is it Thanks Giving for you guys? Well Happy Thanks Giving to those who celebrate it. We are waiting for Christmas day on this side. That is if we have any money for then. :eek: I am pretty sure that there are a lot of people in the same boat over there.
There is a lot of people here really hurting even with the stimulus payments. Some people received it but some didn't even though it's still due them. It's a mess. The churches, charities, and all are trying hard to help them. With food and necessities and also Christmas for the children. It is Thanksgiving and I have so much to be thankful for. I'm not having a hard time coming up with a Thanksgiving prayer. How do I even get to the end of it is my only question.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Now... my Tom cat was very grateful and brought my a couple gifts last night.. he’d been hunting. I know no one wants to celebrate the loss of 1 more gopher ( except me ?) but I did get to rescue an adorable flying squirrel. He promptly brings me his catch bedside and then proceeds to meowl very loudly until I acknowledge him. The second time around, when he meowled, his catch ran!!! So I jumped up View attachment 311807and quickly flipped the lights... and the chase ensued. I had to grab the cat first, and then while holding the cat, grab a wash rag to catch the critter. I’m sure I made an interesting picture jumping and grabbing all over from the bedroom into the living room, but I finally caught the little booger who thankfully was no worse for his adventure. He was released in to the big oak and will hopefully be more cautious where he feeds at night..
I'm picturing that and lol. That looks like one grateful little critter. You probably have a new best buddy ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Man....it’s late November and it’s almost 70F/21C out right now. Overnight rain but now full sunshine. Actually muggy.

Reminder - it’s time for the great National Dog Show out of Philadelphia.
It was kinda nice here. Even though it was in the 50's it felt good since I cooked a lot of the day. I hope I don't miss the dog show. I haven't seen any details about when it will be on TV yet. I always enjoy watching it if I can catch it. I don't think Thanksgiving has to be celebrated with turkey. It's a day to be with the ones you love, with food that everyone likes as a second course.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The truth is most families are. I just sit back and watch. Live and let live. A Taco bar doesn't sound bad for Christmas.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all. Happy turkey day here in the us.. Today I am thankful for all my family and friends ( this includes my four legged family ) and all of life’s blessings. I’ve learned to take nothing for granted and don’t live life with regrets. It’s much better to make the best of what you have than to bemoan what you don’t..

In my house, we are only having the turkey that’s in the dressing... outside that, there is a large smoked spiral ham, a sweet potato casserole, a green been casserole and deviled eggs.. I don’t know what dessert is because my friend Becky is bringing that. I anticipate my Brother to put in an appearance and Hubby should make it home for a plate . I hope my dad makes it but he had his 3rd round of chemo so it’s doubtful. I can take him a plate later though..
You also can be thankful that you caught that critter hahaha. I think the darling either just got tired or let you. You aughta see me if one of my zebra finches get loose. I make durn sure that door is closed before I open their cage for care. Especially since I won't do ladders anymore.❤️ Happy day.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow, Keep me a plate, I am on my way.

And awe awe, I just read your post about bemoaning what you don't have and being thankful for what you do have just after I did exactly that.

I take it back. I do, I promise to take it back.

mmmmmm Okay let me bemoan what I have now................ I am thankful for my family and that both my Husband and myself still have our jobs. I am thankful that both my sons are good children and I have to do very little with regards to their studies.

And I am thankful that I have a garden to retreat to when I need some peace and tranquility.

Have an AWESOME THANKS GIVING EVERYONE WHO CELEBRATES. ?
? The same to you because you are a friend I'm thankful for.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I bought a Butterball brand turkey breast last week and cooked it in the crock pot Tuesday. I had turkey sandwiches Wed and turkey soup today.
Turkey noodle soup might be the thing around here tomorrow. But I wanted to cook it days ago... I wound up with 6 legs because I picked up one wrong package. It was still good. Joe, my son and his girlfriend and her daughter are passed out on turkey. I even have a lot of duck leftovers. I haven't eaten yet because I'll wind up sleeping and I don't want to yet. Happy Thanksgiving.?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You also can be thankful that you caught that critter hahaha. I think the darling either just got tired or let you. You aughta see me if one of my zebra finches get loose. I make durn sure that door is closed before I open their cage for care. Especially since I won't do ladders anymore.❤️ Happy day.
You better not do ladders! Don’t make me come over there!!! Lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all. It’s 6am and I’ve been awake for an hour for no particular reason. I gave up and got up.

We had a Syrian meal delivered last night. A local charity for refugees organised it. A refugee lady they helped cooked and volunteers delivered the orders. It was very filling and very good.

The food was somewhere between Turkish/Greek & Middle Eastern. Flat bread and dips including hummus and what’s known as tzatziki in Greece and lovely aubergine (eggplant) one. The main was rice with vegetables and meat; the spices were quite sweet and definitely included cardamom and cinnamon. And dessert was sesame “biscuits” (like thin cookies)

Today I need to argue with our internet service provider about our rubbish broadband. Wish me luck! ?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town