COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Do you have to live somewhere dark to see all the meteors??
I would LOVE to see them...
But must times it’s too bright here ?
Yes there are no city lights in my area.
Been trying to see a nighttime rocket launch. But the weather hasn't been cooperating.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
We play tennis at some courts that have an unbelievable dragonfly population during the summer! So few of the other pesky insects!
Speaking of tennis!
When I was single, the only time I used the word love.......was when I was playing tennis or just paid for the hotel room. ??????????

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
OMG!!! I am soooo proud of you and rose!!!
That’s wonderful!
I want to do that!!!
Thanks, we are proud of it.
A friend gave us 4 trees that were 5'. After 5 years that was the only one left.
After relocating and putting in some better dirt it took off.
I think our house was built on a toxic waste dump. The ground sucks here.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well, hello roomies! I've finally caught up and wanted to say howdy! It's been so busy outside the CDR. I must confess that sometimes I sneak in, grab an armadillo, and just listen in to the chatter. All the friendlies, and pics of littles, warms me right up!.

A couple things have caught my attention.

The average person produces 46 litres of saliva every month.
I am not average. I suffer from dry mouth to the point of taking medication for it. Unfortunately it makes me sweat (oh, women don't sweat...I perspire). I don't know which is worse. TMI, I know.

Yes, bad enough when it happened. Lots of blood. Nasty wide open gash and right on the right elbow area. So, a highly mobile area and hard to bandage. We have pix, but prob not in good forum to post bloody arm photos.

Considering how excellent Mark's photos are, and it is Halloween, I think they would be perfect viewing! Blood, shredded tissue, spoons, and duct tape...fits right in with the season. I wanna see!!! And we could do a followup starring wifey with an embroidery needle and dental floss sewing it up! It would be a forum hit for sure.

The ground sucks here.

Ray, when the ground sucks, that's quicksand. Never in my life have I heard of anyone growing bananas in quicksand. And I guarantee you would not do well in quicksand. Please rethink the location of your plantings. And I don't want to worry about Opo and his ? sinking either. Take care of it this weekend. Please.

Thank you, it would be cool to have a members reunion.

This I heartily agree with. However, we need to plan for 2 parties. Since we haven't had a members' union, we can't have a reunion.
So
we have to have a members' union, and we don't mean one that protests and pickets.
Sounds like lots of fun!

Yes there are no city lights in my area.
Been trying to see a nighttime rocket launch. But the weather hasn't been cooperating.

I'm quite sure that you have already seen night launches before, but in case you haven't, and for anyone who would like to, it is a spectacular sight! Pete and I were in Ft. Pierce, parked in our truck in a little park on the Indian River. Truck parking is not permitted there, but we had the cargo door open, and Pete grilled some burgers in the cargo area. We were about 60 miles from the launch.

Night fell, and we listened to the radio countdown...3...2...1...and we have liftoff. We saw nothing. Where was this beautiful thing we were to see? Suddenly, on the horizon, a tiny speck of orange light, which rapidly grew and rose into the air until the entire sky was lit like fire. Just spectacular! It travelled across the sky and went out of view, but didn't disappear until the first rocket stage fell away. We were in awe. Then the local cop came by...he asked us where we were planning to sleep, so we said "right here". He said "OK, be out in the morning". We slept to the lapping of the water on the beach. Man! They were the best days of my life.
This was our truck.
Ont truck.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all from a dark and very wet Kent. Storm Barbara is currently passing through.

On the news front...

Daughter tried driving for the first time since her dose of vertigo started. It went well :) This whole thing has really knocked her confidence badly. She gets tired very quickly too

Her employer got an Occupational Health nurse involved (telephone consultation) early on and she has been really helpful. She has said that Daughter can only work from home for the next 4 weeks, no driving for work purposes, and do a maximum of 4 hours a day for the first fortnight. This takes Daughter safely to the end of the outdoor survey season so she won’t have to do any major driving until the spring now :)

Daughter has had her small mammal traps out in the garden though and caught some Wood Mice. This one was seriously unimpressed!
DAE663E6-5349-4CE2-B42A-772945C980F0.jpeg

At the rescue our Mum hedgehog who gave birth while being treated now has 4 near full grown babies. They’ll be separated and released soon
B6B7002B-2246-4E43-9E73-DE7E557D3344.jpeg

Last night JoesDad and I went on a dusk tour of Wildwood which is a wildlife conservation charity. They have a sort of zoo with only British animals... including a few that are now no longer found in the wild here. We saw otters, pine martens, owls, foxes, wild boar. No photos as it was too dark, sorry.

This weekend, subject to government covid rule changes, we will head north to see my Mum in person for the first time since last December. We will stay in a hotel rather than increase risk by staying in her flat, but I can’t wait to hug her again even if it is while wearing a mask.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well, hello roomies! I've finally caught up and wanted to say howdy! It's been so busy outside the CDR. I must confess that sometimes I sneak in, grab an armadillo, and just listen in to the chatter. All the friendlies, and pics of littles, warms me right up!.

A couple things have caught my attention.

I am not average. I suffer from dry mouth to the point of taking medication for it. Unfortunately it makes me sweat (oh, women don't sweat...I perspire). I don't know which is worse. TMI, I know.

Considering how excellent Mark's photos are, and it is Halloween, I think they would be perfect viewing! Blood, shredded tissue, spoons, and duct tape...fits right in with the season. I wanna see!!! And we could do a followup starring wifey with an embroidery needle and dental floss sewing it up! It would be a forum hit for sure.

Ray, when the ground sucks, that's quicksand. Never in my life have I heard of anyone growing bananas in quicksand. And I guarantee you would not do well in quicksand. Please rethink the location of your plantings. And I don't want to worry about Opo and his ? sinking either. Take care of it this weekend. Please.

This I heartily agree with. However, we need to plan for 2 parties. Since we haven't had a members' union, we can't have a reunion.
So
we have to have a members' union, and we don't mean one that protests and pickets.
Sounds like lots of fun!

I'm quite sure that you have already seen night launches before, but in case you haven't, and for anyone who would like to, it is a spectacular sight! Pete and I were in Ft. Pierce, parked in our truck in a little park on the Indian River. Truck parking is not permitted there, but we had the cargo door open, and Pete grilled some burgers in the cargo area. We were about 60 miles from the launch.

Night fell, and we listened to the radio countdown...3...2...1...and we have liftoff. We saw nothing. Where was this beautiful thing we were to see? Suddenly, on the horizon, a tiny speck of orange light, which rapidly grew and rose into the air until the entire sky was lit like fire. Just spectacular! It travelled across the sky and went out of view, but didn't disappear until the first rocket stage fell away. We were in awe. Then the local cop came by...he asked us where we were planning to sleep, so we said "right here". He said "OK, be out in the morning". We slept to the lapping of the water on the beach. Man! They were the best days of my life.
This was our truck.
View attachment 309431
I agree with Halloween pics from Mark.?
Yes on the members union. ?
I have been on many a picket line. ?
We did relocate the tree but also learned we have to dig a hole about 3' in diameter 2' deep and replace the dirt with store bought dirt. Rose sprays down Opo's ? and we are still getting afternoon showers. So no smell. ?
Great looking truck! I am sure you saw a space shuttle take off. Those launches were great.
I have seen many launches but now they are not as great as the shuttle was.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good mornooning all from a dark and very wet Kent. Storm Barbara is currently passing through.

On the news front...

Daughter tried driving for the first time since her dose of vertigo started. It went well :) This whole thing has really knocked her confidence badly. She gets tired very quickly too

Her employer got an Occupational Health nurse involved (telephone consultation) early on and she has been really helpful. She has said that Daughter can only work from home for the next 4 weeks, no driving for work purposes, and do a maximum of 4 hours a day for the first fortnight. This takes Daughter safely to the end of the outdoor survey season so she won’t have to do any major driving until the spring now :)

Daughter has had her small mammal traps out in the garden though and caught some Wood Mice. This one was seriously unimpressed!
View attachment 309433

At the rescue our Mum hedgehog who gave birth while being treated now has 4 near full grown babies. They’ll be separated and released soon
View attachment 309434

Last night JoesDad and I went on a dusk tour of Wildwood which is a wildlife conservation charity. They have a sort of zoo with only British animals... including a few that are now no longer found in the wild here. We saw otters, pine martens, owls, foxes, wild boar. No photos as it was too dark, sorry.

This weekend, subject to government covid rule changes, we will head north to see my Mum in person for the first time since last December. We will stay in a hotel rather than increase risk by staying in her flat, but I can’t wait to hug her again even if it is while wearing a mask.
Sounds like you have been busy. Hope your daughter learns to cope with vertigo. Give Mum a hug for me to. ?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well, hello roomies! I've finally caught up and wanted to say howdy!
Horses sweat.
Men perspire,
While ladies merely glow.
Wetly.

Perhaps you could arrange a saliva share with Ray.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

On the news front...

View attachment 309433

View attachment 309434

Good morning, Linda!
I hope you do get to see your Mum again, that'll be such an emotional reunion, I'm sure.
Love all the little animals, even the sulky wood mouse. Super pics.
Good news re Daughter, too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree with Halloween pics from Mark.?
Yes on the members union. ?
I have been on many a picket line. ?
We did relocate the tree but also learned we have to dig a hole about 3' in diameter 2' deep and replace the dirt with store bought dirt. Rose sprays down Opo's ? and we are still getting afternoon showers. So no smell. ?
Great looking truck! I am sure you saw a space shuttle take off. Those launches were great.
I have seen many launches but now they are not as great as the shuttle was.
The firework I launched in 1986 was pretty impressive.
Called a Sizzler, if i recall.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi I have a tortoise names esio. He is a good tortoise. He is cute
Don't get the wrong impression of this site. You have found yourself in the CDR(cold, dark, room)
We have fun on this thread sometimes we talk tortoise. But there are alot of threads here with great info on care of tortoises.
Many of our members have been caring for tortoises for 20+ years.
What kind of tort do you have?