COLD DARK ROOM

Amron

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire. England
Hello all

Life got a bit chaotic. Sorry for my absence. There’s probably far too much for me to catch up on. My Immediate concern is to find out how @EllieMay ’s daughter is. And also to catch up on @Yvonne G ’s progress.

When I left you, my mother in law had been admitted to hospital having had a pulmonary embolism. She was discharged last week at first in complete denial that she needed to do anything other than take pills.

By the weekend her tune had changed. She admitted that hospital without visitors and with staff in full PPE was an awful place and she never wants to go in again. She also admitted that she had been told that she must exercise daily ... and it seems Father in Law has finally succeeded in forcing her out of a chair and out of the house to take walks.

As soon as MiL was discharged, Daughter, who moved home the weekend before last because she is to be based in a different office, got sick. She started complaining of dizzy spells and then it quickest got a whole lot worse. The room was spinning constantly, she couldn’t move without vomiting. She couldn’t close her eyes without it getting worse. Even trying to chew food made it worse. The drugs she was given were useless because she vomited them straight back up.

She had a telephone appointment with the doctor and then blood tests and a face to face appointment with the doctor and was diagnosed with labyrinthitis. We have had a rough week. By Friday the room merely swayed constantly rather than span and yesterday the room stayed still as long as she was too. Today she is improved again, but still has a way to go. She won’t be returning to work this week.

With JoesDad working from home, I was at least able to still do my rescue shifts and my online yoga class.

The exciting news is that I am to be filmed for a television programme on Tuesday. A daytime property programme called Escape to the Country will be filming at the rescue; the show tries to find a property for a couple looking to move to a rural home and they always have a segment on something that might interest the couple in the area they want to move to. I’ve been asked me to show the couple what it’s like to be a volunteer at the rescue; we’ll be cleaning out hedgehogs apparently :)

Now I must call my Mum, but I’ll be back later :)
Hoping the filming goes well for you today. Good luck

Amron

Lancashire. England
Thank you for your kind words. I will try to answer your questions in order.. AS I AM LYING IN BED RIGHT NOW!! Can you believe it!!??
It is only because my husband went grocery shopping.. he IS good at that..(maybe the cashier is pretty?)
Good that means he’ll be out longer..?
Ok..here goes..
Her name is Sally . It was salvador but later we found out she was a GIRL.?
She is going on 23years old..
She started having a weird butt problem (like having trouble laying an egg) and that’s where the tubbies started, just kept them going ever since.??
I use a thing like they would use to pick up dolphins ?. It wraps around and then you pick that up and swing it over and let her softly slide into the tub..I know...I know...
I MUST BE CRAZY..
but like you ...I found her in a 10gallon tank in the basement of a pet store all in the dark. She was just a 4month old baby.
She was only seated on mulch in the middle of the tank. I thought she was a rock!? No lamps no hiding place no nothing.
I just couldn’t leave her there..
The guy also lied and said she would only grow as big as your for arm..
When I went back to question him... they were out of business..
Her and I get along like peas and carrots.
But again like you.. I might have started looking at fish if I had known what I know now.. but I would not give her up even for chocolate now!!
I got myself into this and I can’t let her down.. so... I guess day by day is all I can handle till things change again.
I am sorry the story is so long but I’m not a very good writer to shorten it or any of the other long stories I post on here. ???? sorry everybody!!!! ?
Amazing lady. Love to hear all about her. I may need advice as I go along so you might be sorry. She is one lucky tort. I have now got to get very prepared for winter here so have to build her a new indoor enclosures and insulate it very well. Wish me luck

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all

It’s been a looooong day .

Up at 6, breakfast and straight to the rescue. A sprint clean and feed of everything in the unit where filming was to take place with the vet and staff in and out, getting in the way, doing medication and examinations that needed to get out of the way early.

Mid way, the film crew arrive to assess the room and, while they filmed the centre manager talking to the couple, I managed to finish up and sweep the floor.

Yes I got pigeon poop on me; luckily it was on my sweatshirt which I shed for filming!

Then the moment arrived. Due to space constraints, they had to film the couple asking me questions with me on camera and thenrepeat the same questions but with the camera on the couple.

Everyone was excited about hedgehogs, especially the camerawoman.

Escape to the Country Series 21 High Weald Episode due to be broadcast in early 2021 in the UK.

That’s quite enough tv stardom for me. I went to get my hair cut this afternoon (that was booked the wrong way round ??) and am chilling out with successive mugs of tea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good afternooning all

It’s been a looooong day .

Up at 6, breakfast and straight to the rescue. A sprint clean and feed of everything in the unit where filming was to take place with the vet and staff in and out, getting in the way, doing medication and examinations that needed to get out of the way early.

Mid way, the film crew arrive to assess the room and, while they filmed the centre manager talking to the couple, I managed to finish up and sweep the floor.

Yes I got pigeon poop on me; luckily it was on my sweatshirt which I shed for filming!

Then the moment arrived. Due to space constraints, they had to film the couple asking me questions with me on camera and thenrepeat the same questions but with the camera on the couple.

Everyone was excited about hedgehogs, especially the camerawoman.

Escape to the Country Series 21 High Weald Episode due to be broadcast in early 2021 in the UK.

That’s quite enough tv stardom for me. I went to get my hair cut this afternoon (that was booked the wrong way round ??) and am chilling out with successive mugs of tea.
May I have your autograph?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Did someone mention figs recently? This article just popped up in my gardening news feed.

➡➡ https://www.forksoverknives.com/how-tos/figs-varieties-uses-drying-recipes/

Two snippets from our garden..

View attachment 307581View attachment 307582

and the very inside of one of the Mexican Sunflowers - still blooming strong.

View attachment 307583

I still can’t find if feeding sulcata fig leaves is ok or not so much. I see the tortoise table says no, Tom says no. So I go with the no.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I still can’t find if feeding sulcata fig leaves is ok or not so much. I see the tortoise table says no, Tom says no. So I go with the no.

Fresh figs have a caustic white sap if you break them off the branches. Many ppl are very allergic to this sap. It’s milky, sticky and nasty tasting. The leaves are also rough & dry. I have a ton in and around our Sully, she never touches them. Id just not feed. Feed grape leaves instead.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Did someone mention figs recently? This article just popped up in my gardening news feed.

➡️➡️ https://www.forksoverknives.com/how-tos/figs-varieties-uses-drying-recipes/

Two snippets from our garden..

View attachment 307581View attachment 307582

and the very inside of one of the Mexican Sunflowers - still blooming strong.

View attachment 307583
I did. I found a really really good chili fig spread at Kroger's. Made by Divina. Wow I'm so hooked! With some good cheese on a good cracker. Even my brother liked it and he usually won't eat sweets.?