COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Hello all

Life got a bit chaotic. Sorry for my absence. There’s probably far too much for me to catch up on. My Immediate concern is to find out how @EllieMay ’s daughter is. And also to catch up on @Yvonne G ’s progress.

When I left you, my mother in law had been admitted to hospital having had a pulmonary embolism. She was discharged last week at first in complete denial that she needed to do anything other than take pills.

By the weekend her tune had changed. She admitted that hospital without visitors and with staff in full PPE was an awful place and she never wants to go in again. She also admitted that she had been told that she must exercise daily ... and it seems Father in Law has finally succeeded in forcing her out of a chair and out of the house to take walks.

As soon as MiL was discharged, Daughter, who moved home the weekend before last because she is to be based in a different office, got sick. She started complaining of dizzy spells and then it quickest got a whole lot worse. The room was spinning constantly, she couldn’t move without vomiting. She couldn’t close her eyes without it getting worse. Even trying to chew food made it worse. The drugs she was given were useless because she vomited them straight back up.

She had a telephone appointment with the doctor and then blood tests and a face to face appointment with the doctor and was diagnosed with labyrinthitis. We have had a rough week. By Friday the room merely swayed constantly rather than span and yesterday the room stayed still as long as she was too. Today she is improved again, but still has a way to go. She won’t be returning to work this week.

With JoesDad working from home, I was at least able to still do my rescue shifts and my online yoga class.

The exciting news is that I am to be filmed for a television programme on Tuesday. A daytime property programme called Escape to the Country will be filming at the rescue; the show tries to find a property for a couple looking to move to a rural home and they always have a segment on something that might interest the couple in the area they want to move to. I’ve been asked me to show the couple what it’s like to be a volunteer at the rescue; we’ll be cleaning out hedgehogs apparently :)

Now I must call my Mum, but I’ll be back later :)
Wow. I would love to watch the video if I'm able. The rescue you volunteer at seems so good. I hope and pray your daughter is doing better. Do they think it's somehow related to having had covid? Maybe needs time to build her immune system back??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I think ull hurt me more than the cactus loll
I don't hurt the people I love
OMG you guys...It's my first day, and in my feeding I threw pellets into the pond. Ok, my sister has this giant white monster type thing from Argentina, so he swims up he looks sorta like a 150 lb Sudan Sulcata swimming, and I'm also throwing some pellets to him directly and I'm thinkin how cool is this, when he lunged and grabbed my index finger knuckle on my right hand, the hand that is mostly non functioning and in severe pain, and he yanked on that knuckle and almost pulled me into the pond. ,Oh freakin heart attack. Anyway, today the wound is infected and hurts. So then I go into the box turtles 4 pens. Friday remember? The first pen is the Florida, a couple of nice box turtles, and they come running, I'm putting the food down, when oh sh*t!!! Something is biting my toes, so I starting leaving, into the next pen, it's the Easterns, oh I have neglected to say how my sisters animals are not pets. They are wild animals, I have been bit, peed on and chased. Now I'm in the 3-toed box turtle pen. It's the largest of the pens. So I am starting to put food down, and I am watching wave after wave of 3 toed box turtles and they are headed straight for me, ekk! They're on my feet, oh hurt, they are biting my bare feet, trying to climb up my leg, what f'ing little (monsters! Attack turtles. So I have spent a good part of my time outside looking at her plant collection. For a plant person like me, I'm in 7th heaven (that don't include my sister). So I kinda bother her a lot with just questions and just simple conversation. But still, I say can I have this? Plants or animal, and she says yes. I tried hard to talk her out of a Texas Tortoise, but she wouldn't cave. So I'm 4 days here and my car is already to crowded, she basically really doesn't say no to me. but she stood firm, no desert tortoises no Texas tortoises, But I'm gonna have me lots of plants and maybe 2 box turtles. She doesn't know about the other one yet. To be continued on Road Trip part 1`

I have to pick up special lookinh animals. My turtles and tortoises re pents. I bother them all the time, they are bright analert

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I am not joking. I had to kick at the coyote in the nuts.

I understand the adrenaline rush, but still...you are one brave woman! It certainly is most fortunate that the coyote did not turn on you! We have them here. Most are scraggly and thin and if in your backyard, or just outside the fence, they run as soon as a door is opened.

But occasionally, one that is huge, strong, in full coat, and proud comes around. He stands and stares defiantly at you, even if you yell at him. I have wondered if he would attack a human.

Happily, it isn't often that I see any of them.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
OMG you guys...It's my first day, and in my feeding I threw pellets into the pond. Ok, my sister has this giant white monster type thing from Argentina, so he swims up he looks sorta like a 150 lb Sudan Sulcata swimming, and I'm also throwing some pellets to him directly and I'm thinkin how cool is this, when he lunged and grabbed my index finger knuckle on my right hand, the hand that is mostly non functioning and in severe pain, and he yanked on that knuckle and almost pulled me into the pond. ,Oh freakin heart attack. Anyway, today the wound is infected and hurts. So then I go into the box turtles 4 pens. Friday remember? The first pen is the Florida, a couple of nice box turtles, and they come running, I'm putting the food down, when oh sh*t!!! Something is biting my toes, so I starting leaving, into the next pen, it's the Easterns, oh I have neglected to say how my sisters animals are not pets. They are wild animals, I have been bit, peed on and chased. Now I'm in the 3-toed box turtle pen. It's the largest of the pens. So I am starting to put food down, and I am watching wave after wave of 3 toed box turtles and they are headed straight for me, ekk! They're on my feet, oh hurt, they are biting my bare feet, trying to climb up my leg, what f'ing little (monsters! Attack turtles. So I have spent a good part of my time outside looking at her plant collection. For a plant person like me, I'm in 7th heaven (that don't include my sister). So I kinda bother her a lot with just questions and just simple conversation. But still, I say can I have this? Plants or animal, and she says yes. I tried hard to talk her out of a Texas Tortoise, but she wouldn't cave. So I'm 4 days here and my car is already to crowded, she basically really doesn't say no to me. but she stood firm, no desert tortoises no Texas tortoises, But I'm gonna have me lots of plants and maybe 2 box turtles. She doesn't know about the other one yet. To be continued on Road Trip part 1`

I have to pick up special lookinh animals. My turtles and tortoises re pents. I bother them all the time, they are bright analert
Omg! Shes gonna be taking care of u by the time u get outa there ? sending hugs Mags! Hope ur finger feels better soon?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Wow. I would love to watch the video if I'm able. The rescue you volunteer at seems so good. I hope and pray your daughter is doing better. Do they think it's somehow related to having had covid? Maybe needs time to build her immune system back??
It’s quite possible there’s a link to her illness in March. Whether they will ever prove it is another matter. Long covid, the long term after effects of the initial infection, is something being talked about a lot in the UK now. Balance is certainky something that’s affected

If there’s a streaming version of he show, I promise I’ll post a link!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Oh Maggie... what a pair you and Yvonne are. You two must have been a right handful as youngsters :D

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Well... all I can say is thank God you are there to help Yvonne and thank God you must not taste very good to a starving turtle...❤️?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Here’s the latest pictures of my little Chihuahua mix taking a nap. She likes to wrap her face and nose with her feet when she’s sleeping and she likes to put her head on pillows.

I’ve found it!!!!!
Here is how your dog is part chiwawa ..!
(Taken off of Instagram)

Attachments

• 458026DD-836F-44ED-A87F-AFF82CFCFE3E.png
    458026DD-836F-44ED-A87F-AFF82CFCFE3E.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 11

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello all

Life got a bit chaotic. Sorry for my absence. There’s probably far too much for me to catch up on. My Immediate concern is to find out how @EllieMay ’s daughter is. And also to catch up on @Yvonne G ’s progress.

When I left you, my mother in law had been admitted to hospital having had a pulmonary embolism. She was discharged last week at first in complete denial that she needed to do anything other than take pills.

By the weekend her tune had changed. She admitted that hospital without visitors and with staff in full PPE was an awful place and she never wants to go in again. She also admitted that she had been told that she must exercise daily ... and it seems Father in Law has finally succeeded in forcing her out of a chair and out of the house to take walks.

As soon as MiL was discharged, Daughter, who moved home the weekend before last because she is to be based in a different office, got sick. She started complaining of dizzy spells and then it quickest got a whole lot worse. The room was spinning constantly, she couldn’t move without vomiting. She couldn’t close her eyes without it getting worse. Even trying to chew food made it worse. The drugs she was given were useless because she vomited them straight back up.

She had a telephone appointment with the doctor and then blood tests and a face to face appointment with the doctor and was diagnosed with labyrinthitis. We have had a rough week. By Friday the room merely swayed constantly rather than span and yesterday the room stayed still as long as she was too. Today she is improved again, but still has a way to go. She won’t be returning to work this week.

With JoesDad working from home, I was at least able to still do my rescue shifts and my online yoga class.

The exciting news is that I am to be filmed for a television programme on Tuesday. A daytime property programme called Escape to the Country will be filming at the rescue; the show tries to find a property for a couple looking to move to a rural home and they always have a segment on something that might interest the couple in the area they want to move to. I’ve been asked me to show the couple what it’s like to be a volunteer at the rescue; we’ll be cleaning out hedgehogs apparently :)

Poor daughter!! Vertigo is just miserable.. hope this is treated effectively and quickly...

that’s so exciting about the film! Please provide us details when we can watch!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It’s quite possible there’s a link to her illness in March. Whether they will ever prove it is another matter. Long covid, the long term after effects of the initial infection, is something being talked about a lot in the UK now. Balance is certainky something that’s affected

If there’s a streaming version of he show, I promise I’ll post a link!
Thanks I'll find it somehow. I got to see CarolM's Christmas highschool video. It was amazing. I kinda think a person that's had full blown covid needs time to rebuild their immune system. Good food, herbs, rest, etc. I'm probably wrong but that's what I think... and are suseptable to any virus that others can fight off most times.??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello. How sis the bath go? Are there pleasant smells around you and yours now?

aaahhhh.... yes thank you. The smells are of roses from the heavens!
I had to do it myself today. I did however where my back brace.. so ... somehow by the grace of god .. I did it! ?
By the way... did I mention I have a bigger than normal sulcata?
yea, it IS a girl but the vet says she is 100+
Lbs. but I know girls only get to be 80+ lbs.
the doctor is clearly wrong but here’s a picture so you can guess for me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I am not joking. I had to kick at the coyote in the nuts. He would not drop the dog and I was worried he was going to attack my lab who is 15 years old at the time and had only a few teeth left. I’m lucky he didn’t attack me but I wasn’t thinking about it at the time. It used to be back in the day those coyotes would run away when you yell and flap your arms at a minutes not happening anymore. They’re very bold. I had slippers on so I was pretty ineffective and if I really had to attack him I think I would’ve had a huge problem but he dropped the dog and ran for the citrus and I never looked back just hustled the dogs in. I found out Harry was alive when I scooped up his so-called body and he started viciously biting me which was the biggest injury I got from the whole fiasco. I am sure the coyote thought I was nuts.

The coyote thought you were nuts because maybe he... was a “she”???
Laughed at you kicking “HER” in the nutz..?
And your dog only bit you like crazy cuz HE thought you WERE gonna kick him in HIS nutz too!!!! ??????
And HE would have felt it!!!
I am sorry I was just trying to make you laugh...?
I am super GLAD you survived the whole thing!
In the movies the person always gets eaten!?
ESPECIALLY the girl who trips and falls wearing HER 3” heals...?

Amron

Lancashire. England
Hello all

Wow busy but worrying week, so glad your daughter is in the mend and your MIL is taking notice if the doctors etc. Double wow on the TV, I watch that programme I will look out for you let us know when it will be screened. Hope you have a restful week

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh Maggie... what a pair you and Yvonne are. You two must have been a right handful as youngsters :D
I nicked my dad's keys and had a couple duplicate car keys made. My dad was a commercial artist, in business for himself and he worked long hours. So he stayed at the office during the week, home on week ends. He restored classic Ford phaetons as a hobby. So he had his favorite, a black '36 Ford phaeton that he drove to work, leaving the sky blue pink '35 Ford phaeton home. (a phaeton is a 4door convertible with eisen glass side curtains instead of windows)

So I would cut school, take the car with my purloined key, and cruise the beach.

I was a rather dumpy kid, not attractive at all, but that played no part. I was special!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
aaahhhh.... yes thank you. The smells are of roses from the heavens!
I had to do it myself today. I did however where my back brace.. so ... somehow by the grace of god .. I did it! ?
By the way... did I mention I have a bigger than normal sulcata?
yea, it IS a girl but the vet says she is 100+
Lbs. but I know girls only get to be 80+ lbs.
the doctor is clearly wrong but here’s a picture so you can guess for me?
I need to see the gular and the tail.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The same to you. I tried to find you here the other day but that's okay I found you today.??
I have been dealing with my struggles. Pain wears me down mentally and physically. I had Opo dig me a burrow. Thought I would try that instead of the hole in the wall.?