COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I got Mookie’s genetic studies back. I swear I just about fell out of my chair at work when I saw it. I was fine with the 40% American pitbull terrier. I was fine with the 30% super mud which is a mix of labrador retriever, Rottweiler, Doberman, poodle and a few other random breeds. I was even fine with the 15% golden retriever although as I was staring at her I was having a hard time piecing this interesting mix of dog in my head. What made me want to fall off the chair is she’s 15% Chihuahua. They had pictures of other clients that allowed the dogs name and picture to be shown and the closest match was 82%. Absolutely none of the dogs look anything like her. I was feeling a little disappointed about that and then I saw what could have been her twin brother that had actually been born in Phoenix that was an 80% match that was just a little larger than her 35 pounds and I actually think that it’s possible that they actually could’ve been related despite it only being 80%. It was fun to look at the Jean mix and I didn’t get a single breed right. Here’s the latest picture of my Chihuahua.

View attachment 307153
Wow, what a mighty big chihuahua you have.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
That was short and sweet. I came here to quickly say three things:
1.) A very very Happy 3rd day Birthday Adam.????????

2.) Here is your puppy Cathie. See down below.

3.) Was to see how Jessica was doing, but I am glad to see that she got to go home.

Okay maybe 4 tbings:
4.) How are you doing Yvonne. ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200913-110032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200913-110032_Chrome.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here they are dead or dying from the heat.
I'm wondering if the tree guard I bought would work in your area too. It says on the package it won't allow heat but possibly cold too building up. That just tells me it's somewhat insolating around the young plant. Up to 2" in diameter but I wonder. You can add water right to the root because it's kinda like PVC only it just pops around it or pops off if needed. Sorry to talk your ear off about it.??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

3.) Was to see how Jessica was doing, but I am glad to see that she got to go home.

Okay maybe 4 tbings:
That's an adorable puppy. I'm wondering if that's a baby shepherd of some sort. That's another breed I like. ❤️ S/he looks like it.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
So stop worrying about her...the threat that I will arrive Weds night or so, will aid in her recovery lol

if ya open the door and she is sitting in her Archie bunker chair and she is aiming a gun at you as you walk in.....don’t even speak.
Just smile softly....

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm wondering if the tree guard I bought would work in your area too. It says on the package it won't allow heat but possibly cold too building up. That just tells me it's somewhat insolating around the young plant. Up to 2" in diameter but I wonder. You can add water right to the root because it's kinda like PVC only it just pops around it or pops off if needed. Sorry to talk your ear off about it.??

Nagh, a tree guard like this won’t really do anything to prevent a young fragile tree from freezing. Trees are either “hardy” or not. Able to withstand sub-freezing temperatures or not. A simple tree guard wrap isnt designed to protect against freezing. Trees, plants etc that are semi-hardy can be fully buried in leaves to help protect against freezing temps.

That said, if you don’t plan on protecting semi-hardy plants, it’s always best to plant plants that are able to cope with your Hardiness Zone .

➡️➡️ https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No, she was just talking about Yvonne, who I came down to help.

Okay maybe 4 tbings:
He looks like a cattle dog to me.
Yvonne is still at the hospital where I dropped her this morning.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Nagh, a tree guard like this won’t really do anything to prevent a young fragile tree from freezing. Trees are either “hardy” or not. Able to withstand sub-freezing temperatures or not. A simple tree guard wrap isnt designed to protect against freezing. Trees, plants etc that are semi-hardy can be fully buried in leaves to help protect against freezing temps.

That said, if you don’t plan on protecting semi-hardy plants, it’s always best to plant plants that are able to cope with your Hardiness Zone .

➡️➡️ https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
You're probably right. I just love how good it does for a cheap solution for the filter on Arrow's tank. Now I'll have to find other uses for the package I bought. I hate wasting it. I usually only plant plants compatible with my zone so I guess I'll have to plant some plants and check it out my self. Maybe use it for bunny protection.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
No, she was just talking about Yvonne, who I came down to help.

He looks like a cattle dog to me.
Yvonne is still at the hospital where I dropped her this morning.
I hope everything is ok. I read she got a plate on her wrist and they always check on the knee cap often with an x-ray. Anyway Im hoping and praying for Yvonne.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
It would certainly be worth a try. I lost my $500 lemon tree. I kept hoping it would try to get some growth when it cooled off but it is absolutely dead.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix

Okay maybe 4 tbings:
Very cute puppy

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It would certainly be worth a try. I lost my $500 lemon tree. I kept hoping it would try to get some growth when it cooled off but it is absolutely dead.
And I got hot ? mad over a dead Lowe’s lemon tree! OMG it would have like nuclear for a $500 tree! Mind you I have a $15 needed love Dwarf Crimson Queen Japanese Maple tree that is now 20 years old. At a guess maybe $2000 grand, but that was part luck with the spot and an awesome neighbor!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maro2bear says no and I respect his opinion. But I'm still curious as to what it can do. I only paid $4. And actually only used around 3" not 5" of one 2' long PVC like cylinder. There was 3 cylinders in the package. It's a flexible plastic and easily cut with scissors. I have a lot of leftovers. I can cut some more pieces for Arrow and still play.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And I got hot ? mad over a dead Lowe’s lemon tree! OMG it would have like nuclear for a $500 tree! Mind you I have a $15 needed love Dwarf Crimson Queen Japanese Maple tree that is now 20 years old. At a guess maybe $2000 grand, but that was part luck with the spot and an awesome neighbor!
Don't get me started on Lowe's... and all ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Oh my word, and you did not even mention anything. How are you feeling now? I hope that you are doing well and healing nicely. I am so sorry that I took so long to figure it out, but unless things are very plain I struggle to get things, Like Heather's and Golden Greek tortoise 567's missions. I just cannot figure them out.

doing much better as I was on morphene since Friday. I will take my last pill this Friday and be done.. my belly button is killing me but I can deal with that as opposed to being high.. (not a good high either)... and Im bored. I can’t sit here and let my house get dirty. When all is back to normal .. I WILL NEVER HAVE SURGERY AGAIN FOR ANYTHING! Not one person has really helped me as I would like and they all make me feel guilty if I don’t help them. Just today someone asked me for my planters that I keep on hand in the basement (they are heavy). Since I wasn’t using them could they give them to their sister? Waiting the whole time for me to hobble down there and get them!! I can’t wait to be all better...but I am ok as I know it could have been much worse. So I thank my lucky stars ⭐️ . How are you doing ?
Everything with you and family ok?
did you finally guess anyone else’s missions?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I almost forgot to say... the wrens are back. I was afraid I frightened them off when I took pictures of their chicks this last spring. I saw a pair today though checking out the bird box they liked under our awning. Time to get it more ready for them. ?