COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Back from a long day of kayak exploring on the banks of the Atlantic Ocean where it lashes into southern Delaware & Maryland’s Eastern Shore just south of Rehoboth Beach. Five hours of driving, four hours of kayaking.
Worth the Effort

Calm Before the Storm

View attachment 302162View attachment 302163View attachment 302164View attachment 302165
I don't have a single picture to post but Sapphire was sitting in a storm today. I went out to save him. He was sitting there in the storm with a little toad. I was thinking... and here I came out with no umbrella to save you and the two of you are enjoying this.☹️

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I don't have a single picture to post but Sapphire was sitting in a storm today. I went out to save him. He was sitting there in the storm with a little toad. I was thinking... and here I came out with no umbrella to save you and the two of you are enjoying this.☹
Sapphire sounds quite the character.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That’s amazing.. I have always wanted to tour a real castle.. I’m not well traveled and only have 1 stamp in my passport.. there are times that I think I would love to travel but then I can’t imagine not having all of the beings that rely on me to come home every night ?
It's a fairly modern castle built by the French during their colonial period, one to the North, one to the South, to keep an eye on the Fassi (people of Fes) who were notorious trouble makers.
Here is a traditional Moroccan kasbah :
w Ait Benhaddou9.jpg
w Ait Benhaddou25.JPG
The curator is on the right.
I pop in to have tea with him when i'm near the place.
w Ait Benhaddou68.JPG

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It's a fairly modern castle built by the French during their colonial period, one to the North, one to the South, to keep an eye on the Fassi (people of Fes) who were notorious trouble makers.
Here is a traditional Moroccan kasbah :
View attachment 302171
View attachment 302172
The curator is on the right.
I pop in to have tea with him when i'm near the place.
View attachment 302173
So is the way of life still very primitive there? Electricity or modern conveniences?

I have poured myself a nice glass of red and realized there is no block of cheese.. daughter has been asked to stop on her way home from work and I’m blaming you kind sir?

I also see that you hold the tea in the proper manner (for all I know) and I’m curious about your original origins??

Yes, I’m chatty tonight... circumstances have me somewhat grounded and it drives me nuts.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sapphire sounds quite the character.
Oh yes he is... that's the third time I've caught that little toad hanging out with him. I'm going to take a picture if it's the last thing I do. The little toad was actually laying against Sapphire's shell. They were both just chilling together during the rainstorm. It was ridiculous.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Oh yes he is... that's the third time I've caught that little toad hanging out with him. I'm going to take a picture if it's the last thing I do. The little toad was actually laying against Sapphire's shell. They were both just chilling together during the rainstorm. It was ridiculous.
I shouldn’t laugh but it’s cute and funny at same time.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
So is the way of life still very primitive there? Electricity or modern conveniences?

I have poured myself a nice glass of red and realized there is no block of cheese.. daughter has been asked to stop on her way home from work and I’m blaming you kind sir?

I also see that you hold the tea in the proper manner (for all I know) and I’m curious about your original origins??

Yes, I’m chatty tonight... circumstances have me somewhat grounded and it drives me nuts.
Tis okay!
Most places here have electricity. In the South, where this particular Kasbah is located (there are thousands) many of the smaller towns, villages and farmsteads have solar panels. Morocco is very much at the forefront of renewable development and usage. Many rural places do still get their water from springs or wells, though. It's great fun going down the hill with your donkey with water barrels on its sides, to fill them up from the well. For the first week. Then it becomes a tad irksome.
These old kasbahs and the surrounding houses are built from wattle and daub - effectively mud and straw, so, every time it rains, which isn't too often, they dissolve a little more. The one I showed is Ait Benhaddou, here you can see the houses from a distance leading up the the kasbah.
w Ait Benhaddou2.JPG
Only a handful of families live here now, though many of the buildings are shops and cafes for the tourists.
The rest of the locals live in the modern concrete buildings on the other side of the river.
w Ait Benhaddou74.jpg
Many towns are like this. Here is Tinejdad where you can see the empty, abandoned wattle and daub buildings in the foreground, slowly dissolving in the rain, and behind them, the occupied,modern concrete new town.
Tinejdad4.jpg

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Tis okay!
Most places here have electricity. In the South, where this particular Kasbah is located (there are thousands) many of the smaller towns, villages and farmsteads have solar panels. Morocco is very much at the forefront of renewable development and usage. Many rural places do still get their water from springs or wells, though. It's great fun going down the hill with your donkey with water barrels on its sides, to fill them up from the well. For the first week. Then it becomes a tad irksome.
These old kasbahs and the surrounding houses are built from wattle and daub - effectively mud and straw, so, every time it rains, which isn't too often, they dissolve a little more. The one I showed is Ait Benhaddou, here you can see the houses from a distance leading up the the kasbah.
View attachment 302176
Only a handful of families live here now, though many of the buildings are shops and cafes for the tourists.
The rest of the locals live in the modern concrete buildings on the other side of the river.
View attachment 302177
Many towns are like this. Here is Tinejdad where you can see the empty, abandoned wattle and daub buildings in the foreground, slowly dissolving in the rain, and behind them, the occupied,modern concrete new town.
View attachment 302180
Oh wow them views are AMAZING 1596499675713.png

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am half English and half Welsh, had a good life, travelled a lot, lived in Saudi Arabia, Poland and Thailand, retired at thirty nine and came to live in Morocco with wifey. We rescued the Tidginator 9 years ago. Our little girl.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I am half English and half Welsh, had a good life, travelled a lot, lived in Saudi Arabia, Poland and Thailand, retired at thirty nine and came to live in Morocco with wifey. We rescued the Tidginator 9 years ago. Our little girl.
Welsh country where one second it’s sunny the next boom it’s pouring down with rain.
but can’t beat the views in Wales the valleys there are just beautiful

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welsh country where one second it’s sunny the next boom it’s pouring down with rain.
but can’t beat the views in Wales the valleys there are just beautiful
And all those lovely sheep.
Still, far too cold for me, thank you very much.
And wandering The Valleys, I was constantly being assaulted by ex-miners singing in close harmony.?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I used to spend time in Wales when I was younger. My grand father was a miner so we had frequent visits when I was younger to visit the mines they worked on.
at the time we lived about 30/45 mins from Birmingham
Now I’m up north way. But looking to move back down south.
but yes I agree To cold. Way to cold. Altho we did have good weather Friday. It hit 36c in some areas in UK All it’s done today is rain rain rain. Typical English weather it SUCKS.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Tis okay!
View attachment 302176
View attachment 302177
View attachment 302180
That sounds like a plan to me. Daub up the buildings for tourists and live in a bit more comfortable accomodations across the river...

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster