COLD DARK ROOM

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok. Back to some Tortoise Enclosure talk.

In year’s past, I had my LL Reptile thermostat on the outside of Sully’s night box. Various ways invoked to keep it waterproof. Some successful, one year not so much. This year, I decided to locate the thermostat inside the warm dry night box & bought a small cheap plastic “ammo” box from Harbor Freight. Ok. Summer kayaking. Grass cutting, gardening & NO RAIN slowed my progress & need to finish up. No rain, no pain.

Decided to complete the thermostat/ammo project today. A few holes, two bolts, two screws, and done. Some pix so you get the idea.

Prepping the Box with One Hole for Cords
View attachment 300182 View attachment 300183

Placing the Box (wooden ledge covers the Kane heat matt cord)
View attachment 300184

Thermostat in Place
View attachment 300185

All Done
View attachment 300186
MAN! Why didn't I think of that??? I've been using Sterilite shoe box type things for years and they are so flimsy. Torts break them, knock the lids off, and otherwise cause problems all the time. What a perfect solution. Thanks for the idea. All my ammo cans are metal, but I know where to find plastic ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Aaagh, Alameda. Here i had some unknown tropical island in mind. Nice temps. I lived in Monterey for a few years - loved it. We are in the middle of a 90 degree record breaking heat wave. Today, I think Day 19.

90??? Thats a cold summer day here. We are having a cool spell. Temps only reaching the mid 90s daily. It was 108 last week.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
MAN! Why didn't I think of that??? I've been using Sterilite shoe box type things for years and they are so flimsy. Torts break them, knock the lids off, and otherwise cause problems all the time. What a perfect solution. Thanks for the idea. All my ammo cans are metal, but I know where to find plastic ones.

Yes. Pretty much a perfect solution. I drilled four small drainage holes on the bottom just in case any water (or condensation) happens to get inside.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I grew up near the coast. I remember those days... We all thought we were going to melt on the rare occasion when a summer day topped 80 degrees.
I need some info from you please, but I will go on over to the lizard section so as to not inundate this chat room with bearded dragon questions etc,

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I grew up near the coast. I remember those days... We all thought we were going to melt on the rare occasion when a summer day topped 80 degrees.

I lived in Monterey for a few years, no A/C there either. I do remember/those HOT 80 degree days.... HERE the humidity kills us. Good for our Sully & banana trees. Not me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I

Is it a good thing that they brumate?
Our climates are similar, just reversed. No need to officially brumate them, but the normal seasonal temperature changes that happen, along with the varying photo period, is enough to cycle them and get them to breed. With blue tongue skinks, I just shut the lights off in winter, and my cooler house temps are enough to cycle them. With beardies, you don't even need to do that. Cooler nights but still having a basking light during the day suits them fine.

When I was in SA, few homes had AC, so I bet your normal room temp variation from winter to summer will do it too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Toms the man! Very knowledgable.. but does he know about the jellyfish/leprechaun x breeding? I dont think hed b happy about that
Those leprechauns are a feisty surly bunch. I wouldn't try to breed anything with them. They are likely to hurt someone!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I had bearded dragons for years! U dont need to brumate them for any reason. They will breed either way. And they will eat everytime like they have never eaten before lol ive never had a beardie turn down a meal
I have one that doesn't turn down a meal and the other that picks and chooses what he eats. I guess he's watching his figure. His appetite is better if I try giving him more substantial meals every other day instead of every day. Unless there are hornworms on the menu.... ?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I have one that doesn't turn down a meal and the other that picks and chooses what he eats. I guess he's watching his figure. His appetite is better if I try giving him more substantial meals every other day instead of every day. Unless there are hornworms on the menu.... ?
Well yeah.. as they get older they will take more greens also( which is good! Coz they will get obese) but they are awesome.. just very good eaters and more expensive to feed as many would think.