COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Unfortunately, my bearded dragon breeder doesn't have her care sheet on her website proper. I believe this is the one she recommends for bearded dragon nutrition information: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

By the way... There is a sister forum to TFO on bearded dragons. I haven't been on it in quite a while, and it was fairly quiet the last time I checked. Honestly, if I had a specific bearded dragon question, I'd most likely post it in the lizard section here on the TFO. Our members deal with such a wide variety of species and come up with incredibly creative solutions. I'm admittedly biased, but I think we have a broader (and deeper, in many regards) knowledge base here than would be available elsewhere.

Just ask @Tom. “Knower of All”

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yeah, we're on an island and the dirt is super sandy, I think that's the one spot they get some nutrients. We get about 22" of rain a year, so maybe not as much as they might like, we get about five bunches of little bananas a year. I don't remember what variety they are...

on an island? Ok, spill the beans. Not goya, but what island in Northern California? Or....are you hiding on Alcatraz?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Ok. Back to some Tortoise Enclosure talk.

In year’s past, I had my LL Reptile thermostat on the outside of Sully’s night box. Various ways invoked to keep it waterproof. Some successful, one year not so much. This year, I decided to locate the thermostat inside the warm dry night box & bought a small cheap plastic “ammo” box from Harbor Freight. Ok. Summer kayaking. Grass cutting, gardening & NO RAIN slowed my progress & need to finish up. No rain, no pain.

Decided to complete the thermostat/ammo project today. A few holes, two bolts, two screws, and done. Some pix so you get the idea.

Prepping the Box with One Hole for Cords
8A639CA2-3F05-4511-B3AE-3B291E510887.jpeg EDFC779A-C3C1-4368-8B97-FF31906DA7E6.jpeg

Placing the Box (wooden ledge covers the Kane heat matt cord)
495FD70E-F94C-4DC8-8817-9AEFFDEDF601.jpeg

Thermostat in Place
AFCC7B7C-E035-4618-88CA-E95E7EA46B33.jpeg

All Done
982AF443-DCF3-4F49-8D5C-24D5D77CA588.jpeg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

In year’s past, I had my LL Reptile thermostat on the outside of Sully’s night box. Various ways invoked to keep it waterproof. Some successful, one year not so much. This year, I decided to locate the thermostat inside the warm dry night box & bought a small cheap plastic “ammo” box from Harbor Freight. Ok. Summer kayaking. Grass cutting, gardening & NO RAIN slowed my progress & need to finish up. No rain, no pain.

Decided to complete the thermostat/ammo project today. A few holes, two bolts, two screws, and done. Some pix so you get the idea.

View attachment 300182 View attachment 300183

View attachment 300184

Thermostat in Place
View attachment 300185

All Done
View attachment 300186
Great idea man. Nice

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
? I mean, free housing in the bay area... Can't beat Alcatraz? we're in Alameda. 60 degrees here while everything else heats up ?

Aaagh, Alameda. Here i had some unknown tropical island in mind. Nice temps. I lived in Monterey for a few years - loved it. We are in the middle of a 90 degree record breaking heat wave. Today, I think Day 19.

1F3F24E0-4C3E-466A-A4FA-CFFA8CFCDC85.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

View attachment 300182 View attachment 300183

View attachment 300184

Thermostat in Place
View attachment 300185

All Done
View attachment 300186

Just in case anyone else is interested, here is the Harbor Freight ammo box that I used.

➡️➡️ - https://www.harborfreight.com/030-caliber-ammo-box-63135.html

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
Aaagh, Alameda. Here i had some unknown tropical island in mind. Nice temps. I lived in Monterey for a few years - loved it. We are in the middle of a 90 degree record breaking heat wave. Today, I think Day 19.

View attachment 300189
Hah! Nah, just Oakland with beach and sandy soil ? my heat bill appreciates that the tortoise night boxes never have to work too hard to stay warm, but the Russian would probably appreciate what you've got going on there more than the fog we have today!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Unfortunately, my bearded dragon breeder doesn't have her care sheet on her website proper. I believe this is the one she recommends for bearded dragon nutrition information: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

By the way... There is a sister forum to TFO on bearded dragons. I haven't been on it in quite a while, and it was fairly quiet the last time I checked. Honestly, if I had a specific bearded dragon question, I'd most likely post it in the lizard section here on the TFO. Our members deal with such a wide variety of species and come up with incredibly creative solutions. I'm admittedly biased, but I think we have a broader (and deeper, in many regards) knowledge base here than would be available elsewhere.
Yes that is my opinion as well. I did look at the bearded dragon tfo but they did not have any care sheets that I could see. Which was why I asked. But it is not a bad idea to ask the members here. Tom I bet has a bearded dragon too. As he always has or has had just about everything.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I put peel and stick tiles on the bottom of there cages. Makes it way easier to clean( they poop like theres no tomorrow! And also the bugs cant hide in the substrate. They dont need high humidity.. regular room humidity is fine.. id soak mine 3 times a week( especially when they’re shedding. Very simple care.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yes that is my opinion as well. I did look at the bearded dragon tfo but they did not have any care sheets that I could see. Which was why I asked. But it is not a bad idea to ask the members here. Tom I bet has a bearded dragon too. As he always has or has had just about everything.
Tom has amazing care info.. i just put it in laymans terms