COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Interesting. So what exactly is this? Im not sure wifey is up for anything else.!
It’s the closest I could get to getting my son a triceratops;~} We have really enjoyed him and company loves to look at him... I think I’m going to have one of the big china cabinets made into a huge enclosure... I’ve been looking at some ideas and I saw an ad locally from someone who does those kinds of things..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s the closest I could get to getting my son a triceratops;~} We have really enjoyed him and company loves to look at him... I think I’m going to have one of the big china cabinets made into a huge enclosure... I’ve been looking at some ideas and I saw an ad locally from someone who does those kinds of things..

nice. Tks

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida

I love it! You got your son a triceratops. Brilliant! ?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
And I think I have found the one horse in all of Texas who is in fact allergic to hay.. more specifically Bahia grass. Usually a horse would be allergic to the dust or pollen in hay so I tried a pelleted version of alfalfa and Bahia mix.. I even soaked it before hand and it triggered the reaction.. I can get around this by using a “complete” feed... I have some Bahia growing in the pasture but it’s a small amount.. and when he free grazes, he has a small reaction.this would explain his gangly look when I received him. hmmm.. I’m thinking I can build up his immunity. I also think I’m pretty much set on keeping this animal. I have already added a good bit of weight to him and he seems pretty attached to me. This was before they brought him to me.. 565B63FE-F5B5-4A0A-B2E0-60436CE67377.jpeg
And this was yesterday.. see a difference? 3D7C7887-F11A-414B-A4AF-CAC341968CE3.jpeg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
And I think I have found the one horse in all of Texas who is in fact allergic to hay.. more specifically Bahia grass. Usually a horse would be allergic to the dust or pollen in hay so I tried a pelleted version of alfalfa and Bahia mix.. I even soaked it before hand and it triggered the reaction.. I can get around this by using a “complete” feed... I have some Bahia growing in the pasture but it’s a small amount.. and when he free grazes, he has a small reaction.this would explain his gangly look when I received him. hmmm.. I’m thinking I can build up his immunity. I also think I’m pretty much set on keeping this animal. I have already added a good bit of weight to him and he seems pretty attached to me. This was before they brought him to me.. View attachment 299836
And this was yesterday.. see a difference? View attachment 299837
He seems happier. In better condition, definitely.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And I think I have found the one horse in all of Texas who is in fact allergic to hay.. more specifically Bahia grass. Usually a horse would be allergic to the dust or pollen in hay so I tried a pelleted version of alfalfa and Bahia mix.. I even soaked it before hand and it triggered the reaction.. I can get around this by using a “complete” feed... I have some Bahia growing in the pasture but it’s a small amount.. and when he free grazes, he has a small reaction.this would explain his gangly look when I received him. hmmm.. I’m thinking I can build up his immunity. I also think I’m pretty much set on keeping this animal. I have already added a good bit of weight to him and he seems pretty attached to me. This was before they brought him to me.. View attachment 299836
Looking good!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well done. I do see a difference.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Okay all caught up again. Today was a lovely sunny day. But we are expecting rain as from midnight again. And the nation has just heard that they are banning alcohol again with immediate effect. So of course everybody is not happy again. We will also be under curfew again from 9pm to 4am, unless you are working. But they make no sense. The alcohol I can understand as they want to keep the hospital beds for those who get sick and not for alcohol related issues. But the curfew? And they say that the Taxi's are allowed to carry to full capacity for local trips, but for long trips only to 70% capacity. How is there any social distancing in a taxi with a full load of people in it? And what is the reason for the curfew? How does that stop the virus.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

So we are expecting rain from tonight until Tuesday and then from Tuesday until the next one we should have some sunny days.

I am still waiting on Ultimate exotics to fill in the form for the permit for me. I really hope that they do it tomorrow like they said that they would. As I am so impatient and I don't want to wait forever for my little guy to come.

How is everybodies weekend been? I hope you have a good week ahead.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just want to say that I'm actually kind of proud of a certain 13-year-old in Massachusetts for how far he has come in just a few days. He still has a ways to go (don't we all), but his questions are getting more specific, and I am seeing more signs of him doing his "homework," looking things up, and trying to make sense of the massive amount of information in this huge learning curve. I really hope this works out.

This is where that thread stands currently. I think the kid is afraid of being fussed at or ridiculed, so please try to be in a supportive frame of mind if you drop by.
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-enclosure-should-i-get.184075/page-12

I haven't mentioned this before, but he did send me a message a few days ago (when I asked about the origin of the hatchling) divulging where they bought the redfoot hatchling from, and it's from one of the vendors we would have tried to steer them clear of, if they'd found us first. So I'm guessing that's probably why he was reluctant to say (as the likely responses regarding that vendor would not have been favorable).
That's really beautiful. I'm glad it's not a joke.