COLD DARK ROOM

Pistachio's Pamperer

Location (City and/or State)
Tri-cities, Tennessee
Lord.. i dont ask u for much. Please dont let it be me! :oops:
Keep it up and I'll figure out a way to kidnap Maggie and bring her with me. I like road trips.

Pastel::: LOL Mass is one of those areas on my list of places to visit. I only have my little Russian monster and he's spoiled rotten with his own "room" basically.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Actually... I am currently in Indiana due to some life kicking me in the butt issues. And am
pondering where my next "residence" will be or if I will go back to NM. LOOONNGG STORY.
So who knows I might be singing the Mr Rogers song soon to some lucky forum member...
"Could you be mine,, would you be mine.. won't you be... my neighbor??"
LMAO
You can stay with pastel tortie in nice warm Fla. get urself 4 sulcatas if you want .. she wont mind

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Keep it up and I'll figure out a way to kidnap Maggie and bring her with me. I like road trips.

Pastel::: LOL Mass is one of those areas on my list of places to visit. I only have my little Russian monster and he's spoiled rotten with his own "room" basically.
If you let @maggie3fan drive, you'll get there quick, too! ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Such long lines for testing? For so many hours? In Florida?
Gosh, I don't think my attention span is anywhere near that long!

As for sitting in vehicles... I suppose Florida has a fairly long history regarding that...
...from the hurricane evacuations of years ago that crawled along at a snail's pace... Eight hours is way too long to get out of any Florida county, period.
...to the little old ladies evacuating from some nasty forest fires (in 1998), who showed up at shelter sites with their car doors locked and windows rolled up, refusing to get out unless their pets (also locked in said vehicles with their pet parents) were taken care of.

But geez... It's not like we're talking about fuel shortages right now... Although with the wait times you mentioned, with cars running the whole time so the air conditioning stays on (way too hot outside not to), maybe we should do testing at fuel stations! ?

Honestly. Why are people waiting in such long lines to just get tested? Maybe it was in Arizona where ppl were in line for hours and and hours to just get tested.

It might be better to drive ambulances & EMTs around the streets instead of having all of these folks queuing up. No?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm beginning to work on coming around to the idea that maybe this is just a weird situation compared to what we're used to. There's still pieces we're missing, sure, but I think we may need to step back and consider that there may be some potential for language or cultural barrier that factors in here.

Before coming to the U.S., he was on a French island with a wild caught redfoot (and the island is known to have a wild redfoot population) that he had to release before getting on the plane. I haven't asked why his family left the island, but I can think of some pretty persuasive tropical weather that could conceivably factor in there.

English may or may not be his first language. It might be French. His parents' first language may or may not be French. Does it matter? Well, maybe... It could. If he speaks or types English better than his parents, it might explain why he's the one here on the TFO. But whatever the situation... At least he's here! Do you know how many people we've said, If only they came to us, we could have helped before it was too late. At least he's here. And this is a very challenging one, and (like the rest of you guys) I hope we're not getting played. I just don't want this one falling through the cracks if we made a bad call.

Again, a lot of questions I haven't asked. Many of them would be considered rather personal, and their bearing on the present situation may or may not matter.
Yes. That's why I liked seeing a certain young person answer. If it really is a young person language could be a gigantic barrier. If it's just a joke it's a really bad one.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Dont worry. I know a 13 year old that can help you out with that
No, if I were dealing with a redfoot, especially a hatchling, I would carefully read all the care sheets... And bribe @ZEROPILOT or @Toddrickfl1 to stop by North Florida for assistance. Granted, it's a long road trip, so I'd better think of a good bribe.

No worries, guys, there are no tortoise hatchlings in my future for a while. :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Some of you may remember that I have a couple "part time" kids (significant other's kids, they're only with us part of the time). Both boys, one about to turn 14, and one about to turn 12. Their humor can be hit or miss, and their ability to communicate can go completely on the fritz. And when one of them has decided to be contentious, difficult, uncooperative... Oh boy.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Honestly. Why are people waiting in such long lines to just get tested? Maybe it was in Arizona where ppl were in line for hours and and hours to just get tested.

It might be better to drive ambulances & EMTs around the streets instead of having all of these folks queuing up. No?
I thought I heard that somewhere (maybe in Tallahassee?) that they were making the wait line for COVID testing virtual. People could sign up to get "in line" and then they'd get a text message or other contact to let them know it was time to come by and get tested.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Yeah, but what's the heat index? ;)
Says the smarty-pants from Florida where we have to add a few more degrees for what it feels like with all the humidity. Pretty sure you still win, with those high temps!
The heat index when I shove my head into Mark’s fabulous enclosure to mess around with my leopard tortoise convinces me that my 117 is still hell but at least it’s not a humid hell and that’s the statement we always make to people. “At least it’s a dry heat.” You don’t have to worry about sweat because it’s evaporating off before I can even get out of the gland.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
You know it’s bad when your desert tortoises are trying to get into your house all the time.
Now that's a temperature metric! ?
In Florida in the winter (when we actually have them), you can tell how cold it is by the number of iguanas falling out of the trees in South Florida.
And in Arizona, you can tell how hot it is by the number of desert tortoises trying to get indoors (air conditioning).