COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Can we beg or bribe @jsheffield to mentor this one...?

Good idea. Piecemeal purchasing items & panic requests for info.....etc. A “Mentor Program” sounds like a good idea. Possibly more effective too. I’m sure getting “help” from too many folks is confusing at best.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
It was 75 degrees today with bright sun and 25% humidity...come to Oregon

I hear you! I lived in Monterey for 2 years, loved it. Your weather in Oregon & Washington state seems wet but at least mild. Our long-term forecast is all 90 plus.....next weekend temps over 100. Plus, we have a Tropical Storm working it’s way here tomorrow - more heat, rain & high temps!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think people are getting played! It almost looks like some of the questions are researched to be dumb.. if you would ask all the questions in a thread, why wouldn’t you look them up.. it’s like playing for a reaction! I guess I’m just a cynical soul???
I had the same thought.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I hear you! I lived in Monterey for 2 years, loved it. Your weather in Oregon & Washington state seems wet but at least mild. Our long-term forecast is all 90 plus.....next weekend temps over 100. Plus, we have a Tropical Storm working it’s way here tomorrow - more heat, rain & high temps!
We are going into a heatwave starting tomorrow with a high of 80 degrees.Oregon's weather is almost perfect almost all the time

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good idea. Piecemeal purchasing items & panic requests for info.....etc. A “Mentor Program” sounds like a good idea. Possibly more effective too. I’m sure getting “help” from too many folks is confusing at best.
Just recently the softer kinder me noticed that when a newb asks their first question or statement, "my Salcutta baby stopped eating". They are sorta jumped on with a freakin barrage of questions by 3 or 4 people saying all the same things. What are your temps, humidity, lights' Heck, it would make me semi hostile. I'm coming in late on this 'mentor' thing, but it just might be a good idea to set up some kind of a mentor program. For one that would be good to stopping repeat replies. Those smarter than I should talk about it. lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I think people are getting played! It almost looks like some of the questions are researched to be dumb.. if you would ask all the questions in a thread, why wouldn’t you look them up.. it’s like playing for a reaction! I guess I’m just a cynical soul???

Lots of people ask lots of questions that are just as easily researched. I think ppl like having others do their research! Or like being told What to do!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Lots of people ask lots of questions that are just as easily researched. I think ppl like having others do their research! Or like being told What to do!
Actually, I recently had that exact experience. I'm not an idiot, I CAN research a subject my own self. However, I posted my question and I was answered by one of those, 'smarter than I members' who I happen to like a lot. And because my dumba** question really was dumb, the comments to me were pretty sarcastic. I asked a dumb question because the answer was so obvious that I didn't see it, really. Frankly, I think the reasoning behind not doing your own research is because of...taaaa daaa...laziness

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Just recently the softer kinder me noticed that when a newb asks their first question or statement, "my Salcutta baby stopped eating". They are sorta jumped on with a freakin barrage of questions by 3 or 4 people saying all the same things. What are your temps, humidity, lights' Heck, it would make me semi hostile. I'm coming in late on this 'mentor' thing, but it just might be a good idea to set up some kind of a mentor program. For one that would be good to stopping repeat replies. Those smarter than I should talk about it. lol

The advantage with a “mentor program” is that a new person with Sulcata questions could be paired up with a Sulcata owner who maybe also lives in the same area, state, region. Of course “Master Gurus” (Like Yvonne, Tom, Will, MarkW, Zovick, etc) would always be able to provide their sage wisdom. But if a NEWB was receptive to a willing mentor it might help. Would eliminate the barrage of similar questions/answers, and the mentor can always reach out. Etc. Of course, as with anything the devil is in the details. We couldn't get the Photo Contest to run last year, so this might even be more challenging to administer. Anyhow, just some random thoughts.