COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Jealous. It looks beautiful. Just got stung by a scorpion for the first time in 60years in AZ. Ironically it was a scorpion sting that got me on the tortoise forum as my little desert tortoise got stung. He’s doing fine but I am having a lot more sympathy for him as my finger is an absolute agony and it’s been 2 1/2 hours of icing already. I didn’t even have the pleasure of killing the stupid scorpion is it managed to get away from me not that it was his fault. Here’s a pic of my finger five minutes after I got stung when I washed my hands.

View attachment 299064View attachment 299065
Oh no. Shame.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thank you and I’ve got to say it is so much worse. I am now at 3 1/2 hours from the sting and had iced for the entire time off and on and my entire hand is throbbing with the finger so it’s painful I can’t touch it and pain shooting up my arm with a little bit of pain in my shoulder and tingling in my lips. Weirdly, this is actually a little better than a half an hour ago. I’ve been stung by both bees and wasps in this is way worse. Not only more painful but a bit more frightening.
Maybe it was a poisonous one? Maybe a stupid question but I don't know anything about scorpions. The first time I ever saw one was funny enough last year. One came into our house and until that point I was not even aware that we had them here in Cape town South Africa.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well my day didn’t go at all planned... I went out to check on the new horse and noticed that it had some abdominal swelling and was heaving while breathing so we took a flying trip to the vet... His heart sounded good but there was some inflammation in his lungs... I noticed the other day that he broke out in hives after rubbing on a cypress tree but they went away with a couple hours so I didn’t think much on that.. my paint horse had the same reaction and she learned to stay away from the cypress tree.. anyway, we are treating with some antibiotics and albuterol... I’m hopeful that it’s nothing more than the stress of the move and some seasonal allergies... I’ll be keeping a close eye on him... then the dealership that had my side x side called and said that they had put the new parts on..... but it didn’t fix the problem.. so we went to Walmart instead to get our groceries for tomorrow.. Texas incorporates the mandatory mask rule at noon today and it was already too hot to breathe! Walmart was a mad house so it was a trip from hell!!!
SO I’m grilling a steak and having a beer;-) Cheers
Oh no. sounds like it was a terrible day. I hope your week goes much better.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ogh great. Ribs marinating, a few burgers n dogs ready. Onions sliced & on the early grill. Then, the skys get dark gray, a few drops then a MAJOR thunderstorm with a ton of rain! .. we had just settled down, with drinks n hand to grill & watch the fire. Moved everything back inside. Sun is now back out!
Murphy's Law!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning All! I’m an hour in on a road trip to Houston. Taking my dad to the MD Anderson Cancer Center... He was diagnosed with Lung Cancer a few weeks back and we have been doing lots of testing. Have gotten lots of info yet still don’t know a lot about how bad it’s not!!
Hope everyone has a wonderful day! ’ll be checking in:)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good morning All! I’m an hour in on a road trip to Houston. Taking my dad to the MD Anderson Cancer Center... He was diagnosed with Lung Cancer a few weeks back and we have been doing lots of testing. Have gotten lots of info yet still don’t know a lot about how bad it’s not!!
Hope everyone has a wonderful. I’ll be checking in:)
Good Luck with your Dad, and I hope it goes well. Be safe.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Afternoon all,
It is 12:03 here in Cape Town and the fog is out. And maybe a little bit of sun shine as well. I woorked in the complex garden on Saturday, my body is definitely telling me that I did, but you cannot really see it when looking at the garden. Oh well time will tell.

by the sounds of it there were good weekends and not so good ones in the CDR. I hope the week goes better for all though.

It is back to sitting in an office while I wait around for some work. I hate sitting and twiddling my thumbs. I am pretty sure there are people who love doing nothing and getting paid for it, but I am not one of those people.

Oh well, what can i do other than to wait for the work to start happening. (Yeah yeah, I am always looking forward to the weekend, because I can chill out, but there is a difference of chilling at home and working in the garden and or doing some art projects compared to sitting and doing nothing).

Have a good week.
Until later.
C

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hope everyone has a wonderful day! ’ll be checking in:)

Fingers crossed for your dad’s diagnosis!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hazy muggy & going to get hot again today. With “Feels Like” temps over 100 degrees F again this afternoon. Impossible to do anything outside! Luckily the afternoon thunderstorms brought tons of rain, but added to the mugginess of It all. The mornings are just as uncomfortable - soggy wet feeling.

Our Sully is loving both the heat & humidity & the rain! Happy as a pig in mud when it’s raining! Banana, hibiscus, mandevillia all loving it as well.

We’re starting to rethink Florida as a move location......maybe Maine or New Hampshire or Vermont. Cool temperatures, Seasons, plenty of water. No oppressive heat!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hazy muggy & going to get hot again today. With “Feels Like” temps over 100 degrees F again this afternoon. Impossible to do anything outside! Luckily the afternoon thunderstorms brought tons of rain, but added to the mugginess of It all. The mornings are just as uncomfortable - soggy wet feeling.

Our Sully is loving both the heat & humidity & the rain! Happy as a pig in mud when it’s raining! Banana, hibiscus, mandevillia all loving it as well.

We’re starting to rethink Florida as a move location......maybe Maine or New Hampshire or Vermont. Cool temperatures, Seasons, plenty of water. No oppressive heat!
Sully might not be too happy with that move. LOL

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Holy cats! With all those pics on the water and the great scenic shots...you are considering moving? Don't move to Fla, it sucks. Texass should be considered, and others

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

I am from Ohio and can't get far away enough from snow/cold. Richmond is a far North as I will ever live. Our Summers are no picnic, but just slightly less apocolyptic as yours! :p ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Holy cats! With all those pics on the water and the great scenic shots...you are considering moving? Don't move to Fla, it sucks. Texass should be considered, and others

TAXES are absolutely terrible here! Local, State & Federal kill us here. Our HOA now wants to double their “fees” , but can’t explain what they are expending current amounts on....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
TAXES are absolutely terrible here! Local, State & Federal kill us here. Our HOA now wants to double their “fees” , but can’t explain what they are expending current amounts on....

We don't have any sales tax here. All last week I was paying $2.35 for premium gas. This week, $2.60 still cheap by any standards, and that's premium. It's against the law to pump your own gas. Oregon is green with lots of water, lakes, rivers etc. Well, and, em, you see, aaah, Where I live, in the Willamette Valley, it does sorta rain, sleet, rain, freezing rain, snow and did I say rain? For 7 months out of the year. We have 2 good sized rivers running right thru town. Oh, As an OTR truck driver I have delivered or picked up in every state in the Continental US. Without looking at taxes and that sorta stuff, I would pick to move to...in order...
Montana, so beautiful it hurts your eyes, Wisconsin, green with friendly people, Corpus Christie Texas, Huston, Idaho,
come out West. Spring and Summer are perfect, it rarely hits 90 degrees. Mostly 80 degrees with about 30% humidity.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am from Ohio and can't get far away enough from snow/cold. Richmond is a far North as I will ever live. Our Summers are no picnic, but just slightly less apocolyptic as yours! :p ?
(I forgot to thank you for the crochet hooks! Sorry. But thanks. I appreciated getting them.)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
How freakin old was that? It reads 2018, but gas is .21 a gallon? I'm so confused

The .21 was under Virginia...but thats the additional tax per gallon. Not the gallon rate. This article, frim 2018 shows Md tax per gallon as .35 cents.

To the south, Virginia has one of the lowest gas taxes at just 21 cents per gallon, compared to Maryland's 35 cents.