COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Ouch!!!! My mother had a problem with scorpions... peppermint oil will run them off ( and most anything else) right fast if you can stand the smell!
That's kinda strange because cats love the smell of the peppermint herbal tea...and many other animals too. Catnip is a similar herb. If my memory is still intact??? Who knows...snorting?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well my day didn’t go at all planned... I went out to check on the new horse and noticed that it had some abdominal swelling and was heaving while breathing so we took a flying trip to the vet... His heart sounded good but there was some inflammation in his lungs... I noticed the other day that he broke out in hives after rubbing on a cypress tree but they went away with a couple hours so I didn’t think much on that.. my paint horse had the same reaction and she learned to stay away from the cypress tree.. anyway, we are treating with some antibiotics and albuterol... I’m hopeful that it’s nothing more than the stress of the move and some seasonal allergies... I’ll be keeping a close eye on him... then the dealership that had my side x side called and said that they had put the new parts on..... but it didn’t fix the problem.. so we went to Walmart instead to get our groceries for tomorrow.. Texas incorporates the mandatory mask rule at noon today and it was already too hot to breathe! Walmart was a mad house so it was a trip from hell!!!
SO I’m grilling a steak and having a beer;-) Cheers
Vitamin b and a good steak should fix you right and proper.? it's chicken for me tonight with my vitamin b....

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I hope your day gets better. Last week one of my horses had a surgical colic and I’m still stunned by my credit card bill. He’s doing well though.
Thank you ! I’m so glad he came out well.. that’s always a toss up.. & I sure know the feeling! Nothing about them is ever cheap... I really like this horse and he deserves a good home but I’m suspecting that he got moved around because he’s probably got the heaves... I don’t keep mine in a stall or stable so I’m hoping it’s mild and manageable... I believe the fresh hay that I put in his stall feeder may have triggered this.. he voluntarily stayed in there all night the night before this happened... I have a couple weeks to decide to keep him but despite the issues, I think my mind is already made up ?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all and Happy Independence Day ! I’ll be staying home today and firing up the grill for my sister and her family... there is a big fireworks show over the lake tonight which will stress my old lab out to no end... I’ve prepared to ease his night I hope... I’ll keep a watchful eye out on the new horse also to see how he reacts.. Hope everyone enjoys their day!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good morning all and Happy Independence Day ! I’ll be staying home today and firing up the grill for my sister and her family... there is a big fireworks show over the lake tonight which will stress my old lab out to no end... I’ve prepared to ease his night I hope... I’ll keep a watchful eye out on the new horse also to see how he reacts.. Hope everyone enjoys their day!
Where's the horse pictures???

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good evenooning all.

Sorry for my absence. I have been kind of busy.

I made a few masks and sold them in aid of the rescue where I volunteer. That’s mushroomed and last week I made 40. I have raised over £350!

Daughter moved back to her flat the weekend before last. Yesterday her paramedic flat mate got sent home from work with a temperature. They both had to isolate and get a covid test. Luckily the results were both quick and negative. They found out about an hour ago.

Son moved back to his flat in North London last Saturday. His flat mate, who has been in lockdown with his parents on the Welsh borders, was supposed to be joining him. However, flat mate has been told that he will be furloughed until the end of September so I anticipate son returning here for company at some stage.

It got very hot (by UK standards) last week. Temperatures rocketed to around 90F and it was very humid. We finished the week with big thunderstorms. The weather is back to normal now... cool, breezy and random showers.

The rescue was quiet last Friday and we got loads done. Today it was manic. So many baby birds and all very young and needy. The smallest was this sparrow needing 15 minute feeds. Can you see the yellow lump on its neck? That’s food being swallowed. We look for that as reassurance that the hatchling hasn got a blocked airway.
View attachment 298747
I have school governor meetings online tomorrow and Wednesday and then more masks to make so my week continues busy!
That's great, I hope the little guy survives.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you ! I’m so glad he came out well.. that’s always a toss up.. & I sure know the feeling! Nothing about them is ever cheap... I really like this horse and he deserves a good home but I’m suspecting that he got moved around because he’s probably got the heaves... I don’t keep mine in a stall or stable so I’m hoping it’s mild and manageable... I believe the fresh hay that I put in his stall feeder may have triggered this.. he voluntarily stayed in there all night the night before this happened... I have a couple weeks to decide to keep him but despite the issues, I think my mind is already made up ?
Possibly he needs your insight into animals and will get better with time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy 4th everyone one. Going to grill burgers and Nathan's hot dogs. Maybe watch some fireworks on tv. I am sure Opo will have a sleepless night with the fireworks. He is afraid of thunder.
Happy 4th to you also. Around here they've been setting off fireworks for a week or more. I'll be glad when that part of it is over and done with. It's actually illegal in Ohio but that never stops them. We will get a 3 minute legal display around 10 if I can catch it. Nathan's hotdogs are my favorite. Good food and friends are the best part of independence day.?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ogh great. Ribs marinating, a few burgers n dogs ready. Onions sliced & on the early grill. Then, the skys get dark gray, a few drops then a MAJOR thunderstorm with a ton of rain! .. we had just settled down, with drinks n hand to grill & watch the fire. Moved everything back inside. Sun is now back out!

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ogh great. Ribs marinating, a few burgers n dogs ready. Onions sliced & on the early grill. Then, the skys get dark gray, a few drops then a MAJOR thunderstorm with a ton of rain! .. we had just settled down, with drinks n hand to grill & watch the fire. Moved everything back inside. Sun is now back out!
That's the same here. I love Ohio. I've never seen a July 4th without rain at some point in the day. Well...it just happened. We'll see if it's enough to cool it off for a wonderful evening.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My brother is up from Kentucky and didn't really mean to go fishing but caught a 4 Or 5 lb bass. The only thing is it was a fishing line that was caught in a tree and someone just cut the line. The hook was just hanging in the water and the poor fish fell for it. Any other time, fried fish, baked anything bass would be dinner. I grilled him. (My brother) you of course let him loose right!!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You should have seen the illegal fireworks display. I missed the legal one because of this site. And well...my rabbit is just laying around like a bump on a log. No ones having a problem with all of the booms and bangs. Even Saphire. Maybe it's because it's a full moon too. They've all went nuts.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Your storms made it here in the early morning! Torrential downpour... all is clear and cool now though!
Good morning Roomies!