COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Sounded like a busy day. Did Joe make the mobile?
Yes Joe made the mobile. When he hung it several years ago, I wondered what in the heck is he up to now...but I did my usual thing. Just sit and watch the shenanigans. It's been hilariously funny over the years.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Factoid Time

Dandelion Reproduction
The dandelion has more than one method of reproducing themselves. This gives them multiple ways to spread and makes them more difficult to eradicate. The most common method of dandelion reproduction is through its wind-aided dispersal of seeds which germinate almost year-round. Pollination of the dandelion occurs when insects carry its pollen from one flower to another, but dandelions can also pollinated themselves. Thus, it only takes one single dandelion to reproduce itself and spread all over a lawn. Each dandelion that goes to seed produces between 135-300 seeds.

Dandelion growth is often difficult to control and the plant can be difficult to completely eliminate, since the entire root system of the plant needs to be removed or they can quickly grow right back. The dandelion can regrow an entire new plant from its taproot by sending off new shoots underground. The dandelion does not even need a whole taproot to accomplish this, needing only a mere 2 millimeters of the root to germinate a whole new dandelion.

Dandelion florets are ligulate and possess both male (pollen-producing) and female (seed-producing) parts. The fruits are mostly produced by asexual reproduction (apomixis), without fertilization. Dandelion plants typically have 24 or 40 pairs of chromosomes, but some have 16 or 32 chromosomes

Dandelions are capable of reproducing themselves even when there is not enough sunlight to allow the flower buds to open. In this case, the male parts of the dandelion pollinate the female parts they are pressed up against. The fertile seeds then push their way out of the top of the bud.
Arrgghh. The ones that i had have all gone now. But hopefully it is because it has been summer. They pop up in the vlei when winter comes and with it the rain.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Just back from our first big shopping trip. Heard on the radio they might be talking lockdown ‘til end of JUNE! Thats an awful long time.
Wow, that is a very long time. I don't think they can do that here. As people will not be able to survive. As it is a lot of people have lost their jobs and income and are already struggling.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Just back from our first big shopping trip. Heard on the radio they might be talking lockdown ‘til end of JUNE! Thats an awful long time.
Yeah had to go to grocery store yesterday.. they only let 50 ppl in at a time and there was a line outside waiting to get in... i should have started sneezing lol

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks Heather, I will be walking on my leg in the next few days.
Rose has to help me put a liner on my stump before the leg. It is like a thick neoprene liner. There is a little effort to put on.
Rose just had 5 injections in her lower back. 2 in L4, 2 in L5 and 1 in S1. She should be ready today or tomorrow. I am not able to do it because it takes 2 arms. I tried with my prosthetic arm but can't get it on all the way.
Good luck.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ohmygosh the humidity with the heat is HORRIBLE here today! Did I say that my new tortoise yard wouldn’t take much?? I’M an idiot!! It is surrounded by dense thick foliage that allows for no sunlight.. only moss covers the ground... so I have been cutting trees for hours!! The sweat is OUTRAGOUS!!
Oh dear. At least you are getting your exercises in.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks Heather, I will show this post to Rose. Post like yours are helpful.
My body shutdown yesterday. I got up at 4am because of pain. Ate breakfast around 9AM and just couldn't come around. Went to bed and slept until 9 am today. Almost straight thru. This happens about every 2 or 3 weeks. Feeling better today.
Oh no. Glad you are feeling better.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well i have finally caught up. I have been busy with work and when not doing that I have been working on some cement projects. Now they are not finished yet and I will post pics again once they are done.
It is late and my eyes are closing on me. So I am going to sign off for now and will chat again later.

20200410_144239.jpg20200410_144220.jpg20200410_144213.jpg20200410_144228.jpg

jeneliza

burton michigan
I am so board here in Michigan, most of the weather here is still to cold and wet with a few nice warm sunny days, I been looking at all this stuff online I started, a scrap garden, or aka trash garden, it's really cool, you take parts of leftover veggies and put in water or soil depending on what the veggies are, and they produce for veggies, I hope it works, I like to regrow mushrooms, and pineapple, etc anyone else try this yet

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hay...joe just finished a dog painting for me. (And you). He's at the least getting inspired. He's got to be almost going thru cabin fever by now since he's been in lockdown by me. This is being a win win win! Dog lovers will love his paintings once he starts getting doggy cuteness again

0410201652a~2.jpg.0410201652a~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well the numbers have gone up. And the government has increased the lock down to the end of April.
Yes. Here too. There was 65 in my county reported yesterday. Today there's 73. We'll see. I think it's probably been here for awhile. Our state asked us to stay home or"social distance" back in early March. I do that anyway mostly. I've kept Joe home because he really can't comprehend how to stay safe. We'll see.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Oh dear. At least you are getting your exercises in.
I mostly finished today.. but I don’t want to post pictures because it looks like a desert at the moment... I transplanted a few things and planted a mix of fescue, annual rye, dandelions, pansies and zinnias... all seeds of course.. it’s the smallest yard of the three but not by much... I believe it will sustain one sully.... I hope.. I have plenty of acreage but I didn’t want to move Toretto or build a new box... I put a soak pool in. I believe that Pickles will get this yard since it borders Toretto and is a duplex box... I am afraid that Crusher might be a female and I don’t want her anywhere near the males if that is the case... That yard is on the other side of the house with the single night box...