COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Yes, England’s spa towns like Bath & Harrogate became famous for the healing powers of their sulphur mineral waters. Budapest has lots of hot springs/spas now large public swimming areas. Germany as well, like Baden Baden.

Closer to home, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, has some famous spas as well.

White Sulphur Springs grew in the first half of the nineteenth century as the southern "Queen of the Watering Places". The springs resort first became the standard summer destination for wealthy Virginia Low Country residents seeking reprieve from heat, humidity, and disease of the "sickly season". As its popularity increased and it gained status as a socially exclusive site, the springs attracted elite guests from all areas of the South.
That's the trouble with drinking mineral water from Spas - it repeats on you?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, England’s spa towns like Bath & Harrogate became famous for the healing powers of their sulphur mineral waters. Budapest has lots of hot springs/spas now large public swimming areas. Germany as well, like Baden Baden.

Closer to home, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, has some famous spas as well.

White Sulphur Springs grew in the first half of the nineteenth century as the southern "Queen of the Watering Places". The springs resort first became the standard summer destination for wealthy Virginia Low Country residents seeking reprieve from heat, humidity, and disease of the "sickly season". As its popularity increased and it gained status as a socially exclusive site, the springs attracted elite guests from all areas of the South.
I visited a lake in southern Ohio for a family swimming adventure when we were very young. Well...being me...the smell told me yukkk×3. Nooo....

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi Heather, it's been a very quiet day catching up on chores and dragging Lola out of his hide for a soak and a snack. He's fine just not very sociable at the moment. Hope you are having a good Saturday with the family.
Quiet days are the best... I did some critter time this morning as well.. not so much family though. Hubby is gone to work. Oldest stayed the night at friends and by the time she came home I was headed to birthday party for a class mate of my youngest ... by the time we came home, she was gone to work.... and so it goes :) we danced around the living room ( dog too) to some old country music while I cooked light supper... then some tug o war with the dog... finished a book with a glass of wine.... off to bed shortly.... so, still a good Saturday ;-)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have a few pieces of the wood that I use for my snowmen, so worked on a new one yesterday during cold, windy, rainy morning n day.

Next process is to start the painting of the eyes... I abandoned the “fill” I originally used on the eyes & buttons - too many additional steps. So, paint eyes & buttons, then the body. The hat is painted separately & attached later before final clear paint & lacquer. Ogh yes, need to carve, paint and insert a carrot nose too.

Decided to add a decorative belt on this one as a “new” design feature. Prob make the belt & hat bands the same color.

9A386C8A-6B0F-4B76-B97F-A6355A198E18.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have a few pieces of the wood that I use for my snowmen, so worked on a new one yesterday during cold, windy, rainy morning n day.

Next process is to start the painting of the eyes... I abandoned the “fill” I originally used on the eyes & buttons - too many additional steps. So, paint eyes & buttons, then the body. The hat is painted separately & attached later before final clear paint & lacquer. Ogh yes, need to carve, paint and insert a carrot nose too.

Decided to add a decorative belt on this one as a “new” design feature. Prob make the belt & hat bands the same color.

View attachment 285402
They will be the most stylish snowmen in all the land ;-)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I went to Lowe’s today and bought the supplies needed to build a 4x4 night box... Pickles rate of growth is accelerating and I feel that he is too big for the indoor enclosure.. he is 10lbs now to Crushers 6. I got the floor and 3 walls completed. I will try to work on the side with door and the roof tomorrow. I enjoy the building but my back is killing me.. too much leaning over I suppose ?. Hope everyone had a great day. I miss reading everyone’s chatter...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I went to Lowe’s today and bought the supplies needed to build a 4x4 night box... Pickles rate of growth is accelerating and I feel that he is too big for the indoor enclosure.. he is 10lbs now to Crushers 6. I got the floor and 3 walls completed. I will try to work on the side with door and the roof tomorrow. I enjoy the building but my back is killing me.. too much leaning over I suppose ?. Hope everyone had a great day. I miss reading everyone’s chatter...
Sit back, eat a good dinner, and like us in the morning.:tort::<3:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
LOL, I am busy working on it. So far I have come up with this but waiting on my son to build a solar water pump for me to test it out on. I have used one of the tractor tyres that I got to make a tyre pond and will be testing it out on the pond to see how well it works. I have the activated carbon, the river sand and the gravel and the coke bottle. I have put it in the same order as below and created the same layer system twice in the bottle. The idea is to put the pipe from the water pump into the bottle and let the water run through that into the top pond tyre, from where it will fall into the bottom tyre pond and then be pumped back up into the bottle again. Thereby filtering the water all the time. Then if it works nicely then I will make a filter with a down pipe and run the well point water through that into the Water tank. Since Mark says that the chlorine should be safe I will also put some chlorine into the water tank to make sure that it is really nice and clean and then we should be good to go. But at this stage I am still waiting on my brother to deliver the water tank. Hopefully I will get it sooner rather than later.

View attachment 285234
I'll be hoping for a quick delivery to you. If I had rainbarrels right now they would be flooding our yard. I'll even try to send you some of our rain...?‍??‍♀️
LOL, I am busy working on it. So far I have come up with this but waiting on my son to build a solar water pump for me to test it out on. I have used one of the tractor tyres that I got to make a tyre pond and will be testing it out on the pond to see how well it works. I have the activated carbon, the river sand and the gravel and the coke bottle. I have put it in the same order as below and created the same layer system twice in the bottle. The idea is to put the pipe from the water pump into the bottle and let the water run through that into the top pond tyre, from where it will fall into the bottom tyre pond and then be pumped back up into the bottle again. Thereby filtering the water all the time. Then if it works nicely then I will make a filter with a down pipe and run the well point water through that into the Water tank. Since Mark says that the chlorine should be safe I will also put some chlorine into the water tank to make sure that it is really nice and clean and then we should be good to go. But at this stage I am still waiting on my brother to deliver the water tank. Hopefully I will get it sooner rather than later.

View attachment 285234

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 285402
I love them all. The trees also.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks for the info on your well water. Makes sense. Are you only watering your vegetation, garden & torts? I installed a very cheap but efficient “drip” irrigation system here a few years ago. Doesnt spray all over, drips water where you want it. It wouldnt matter the color/staining since it just goes to the plants not on your things.
Yes to the garden and veggies but no to the torts (As I was not sure what effect the metal in the water would have on a tort). I will also be installing a drip system at some point but for now I am going to carry on with the hard manual labour route of watering the garden myself. I do have empty plastic coke bottles planted all over the garden which I full up. These bottles have holes in the bottom and the water then seeps out directly by the roots under the ground. Saves evaporation and waters the roots directly.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hello everybody. Today I got a very nice Christmas Card and was very surprised ! I got it from Capetown ! It must have been a very slow but steady snail that brought it to me.:) BUT I AM SO HAPPY THAT AT LEAST I GOT IT !
Thank you very much Carol for your nice Christmas Card and the warm hearted words you wrote. And for the sweet that travelled such a long way around the world ! Thank you very much. @CarolM

View attachment 285303
You are welcome. I am so glad it finally arrived.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Here we have wells that stink of sulphur (rotton eggs) and they call them spas where people have visited since Roman times to take the waters for their health especially skin problems. I tried some in Bath Spa once and it was disgusting, but along with sulphate it's supposed to have about 40+ other different minerals in it.
Sounds like something us silly humans would do. Ooooohhh this stinks, Lets soak in it!!