COLD DARK ROOM

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I’m going to ask you wise folks of the CDR something that’s had me thinking.

So I was having a conversation with one of my cousins today, he was telling me about something that happened to him this week and this story involved a shopping assistant who was black. My cousin continually referred to him as “The black shopping assistant”. And it had me thinking, he wouldn’t say “The white shopping assistant” If he was white. never in a million years. I personally would of just referred to him as “The shopping assistant” as his appearance isn’t relevant at all!

Let me know what you think.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

So I was having a conversation with one of my cousins today, he was telling me about something that happened to him this week and this story involved a shopping assistant who was black. My cousin continually referred to him as “The black shopping assistant”. And it had me thinking, he wouldn’t say “The white shopping assistant” If he was white. never in a million years. I personally would of just referred to him as “The shopping assistant” as his appearance isn’t relevant at all!

I know what you mean but I have a really close longtime friend. If I needed to describe what she looks like I would say she's got brown skin and I might call her black...my skin is beige and she might call me white . But it's not really an issue with us like that. We are just describing each other.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Who Knew? In my search for a few bales of (in short supply) orchard grass, I found a Hay App that lists out buyers & sellers of hay for the US.

Was able to find a farm thats not too far away, that has some...good prices I think.

• Costs per bale - some for 6.50 & 7.50 and the second cut is $10 and some bales are mixed with alfalfa for 12.50. All organic -no sprays, pesticides or preservatives.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Our day is a warmer 50 to 60 but cloudy and dark, rainy and bone chilling. I made hot chilli. It's supposed to go downhill tonight and start warming up again later this week...
What's crazy about Ohio weather? No weatherman can predict it. It was 50 at 5am today. It was supposed to drop to 28 last night. The cold front decided to wait until this morning around 6. Whatever...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Maybe there were multiple “shopping assistants” and in order to better describe “the incident” to you, and who said what, he felt it necessary to distinguish by appearance. Easier than saying. Shopping Assistant No 1 said this, while Shopping Assistant No 2 said that......

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

The very fact that he uses the word black says a lot about your cousin, I’m afraid, Ben, It’s not considered politically correct due to its association with apartheid and segregation. In this case the skin tone is, as you say, completely irrelevant. I’d have pulled him up on it.

When my daughter was aged about 3 she came home raving about a new boy called Jacob in her nursery who was her new friend. I asked her at the nursery which one was Jacob. She responded “The one with the curly hair”. He was the only non white-European child in the room, but what she focussed on was his curls! I still feel proud of that colour-blind moment.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning everyone. I hope all is well in your corner of the planet. I am spending my time avoiding the news on radio and tv. I am sick of our General Election, the lies, name-calling, hate and general sh!t-stirring.

What on earth is wrong with just trying to do your best for the country, other people and the environment? * sigh *

I shall be out bright and early to cast my vote tomorrow. Not that it will make any difference in my constituency as it’s a Conservative Party “safe seat”. Anything with a blue rosette pinned to it would get elected here. Apart from about 3 years in the early 1900s this town has always had a Conservative MP. It would be nice to live somewhere where I felt that my vote actually made a difference!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another fairly warm morning. I think it's in the low 50sF. So unheard of for this time of year here. More leave raking is on my horizon. . . that is, if it's not too wet for them. I like to pile them up over the box turtle yard to inhibit the growth of tall grasses, plus it's protection for the turtles from the frozen nights.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I cleaned out our nest boxes in September and haven’t bothered checking the camera... until last night.

It was a wild and wet night and this little ball of feathers was snoozing away
5810B644-BC50-4F7A-9BEF-CFD43B0F4749.jpeg
I honestly couldn’t identify it, but it stirred and turned into a bluet-it (the species that nested there in the spring)
97C6D27A-EBB2-45FC-8D73-E604696E3930.jpeg
So puffed up! It was cold out there!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Morning Roommates :cool:
It's a crisp 50F here after rain. It has been a little crazy at worko_O:eek:.
Thank you everyone for the wonderful cards, and wonderful drawing! We have very talented roommates indeed!
Everyone's cards brighten my day! I really enjoy seeing everyone's posts and pictures for it makes me feel included :<3::)
We are doing good. Wally is growing like a weed, as well as Rosie.IMG_4408.jpg IMG_4403.jpg IMG_4395.jpg

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I cleaned out our nest boxes in September and haven’t bothered checking the camera... until last night.

It was a wild and wet night and this little ball of feathers was snoozing away
View attachment 283677
I honestly couldn’t identify it, but it stirred and turned into a bluet-it (the species that nested there in the spring)
View attachment 283678
So puffed up! It was cold out there!
Oh my Goodness!!
absolutely adorable!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Good mornooning everyone. I hope all is well in your corner of the planet. I am spending my time avoiding the news on radio and tv. I am sick of our General Election, the lies, name-calling, hate and general sh!t-stirring.

What on earth is wrong with just trying to do your best for the country, other people and the environment? * sigh *

I shall be out bright and early to cast my vote tomorrow. Not that it will make any difference in my constituency as it’s a Conservative Party “safe seat”. Anything with a blue rosette pinned to it would get elected here. Apart from about 3 years in the early 1900s this town has always had a Conservative MP. It would be nice to live somewhere where I felt that my vote actually made a difference!
I agree with you! It is a sad state of affairs.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
The very fact that he uses the word black says a lot about your cousin, I’m afraid, Ben, It’s not considered politically correct due to its association with apartheid and segregation. In this case the skin tone is, as you say, completely irrelevant. I’d have pulled him up on it.

When my daughter was aged about 3 she came home raving about a new boy called Jacob in her nursery who was her new friend. I asked her at the nursery which one was Jacob. She responded “The one with the curly hair”. He was the only non white-European child in the room, but what she focussed on was his curls! I still feel proud of that colour-blind moment.

I don’t see colour at all, it just doesn’t matter. Unless it’s describing someone’s appearance to the police for example, it’s just not relevant, we are all people!

If he says it again I will call him up on it. This occasion was a family gathering so it would of been a little awkward if it got heated. :eek: