COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Good evenooning all.

Your fishing trip looked great Ray. Enjoy eating them!

Last night we had a hedgehog visit who couldn’t walk straight. We don’t think it was one of our regular.

So JoesDad and I raced out and grabbed it. The feed station proved to have an accidental design feature making capture easy! ?

I popped it in a large box with food and water and left it for the night in the conservatory. It clearly escaped, but returned to sleep in the box by the time we got up. So my first job this morning was to take it to the rescue. Given I had appointments from 10am, it was something of a rush, but I managed to get there and back in time!

I have a shift at 7am tomorrow, so I should be able to get an update. I’m not sure what time I’ll finish. They have nobody for the next two shifts :(
I like the accidental design feature. It looks like someone from above was having His say.?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What's interesting about sharks is they don't have a vent to let out their waste...if what I read is true. I have eaten young shark when I was younger but I won't again.

I did some research on this topic this evening. Some interesting tidbits on shark meat preparation....and why.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Heck yeah!!! That’s awesome! Good looking group of men And fish ?
It was a good time, even with the little rivalries between 2 of my sons. Sometimes they don't play well together.??
They were worried who was catching more fish or bigger fish. ?
Instead of being the good dad. I would add fuel to the fire with sarcastic comments to both of them. So I had fun in all aspects of the trip.??????

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I did some research on this topic this evening. Some interesting tidbits on shark meat preparation....and why.

Very interesting!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That looks like a few fish fries waiting to happen before they head home.? Whose going to clean em all ?
The second night for dinner. The captain fried up 2 groupers for dinner. When we got back to dockside. The captain and 1st mate and all my sons chipped in. They had a assembly line going. So it went from fish on the ground to fillets in vacuum sealed bags in about a 1 1/2 hrs.
All the fish I kept were only gutted. Rose prefers the whole fish. Some fish were also steaked up.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Interesting on the sharks! What kind.? Arent they good eating too?
According to the captain, the shark population has been getting worse for almost 10 years now. We never got a look at the sharks except for 2. Because they would break us off. I cant remember what the 2 we boated were. After a shark bit off half of one of our king mackerel. It hung around for awhile. Buy the fins and tail sticking out of the water. The captain knew it was a hammer head. Estimated to be about 14 feet. It stayed about 30 yards behind the boat, waiting for another easy snack. I have eaten mako,thresher and black tip shark. But from what I hear, some taste horrible.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Well my leg came late afternoon today when I got home. Now you can see why I wanted it for the trip. But in reality I wouldn't have been able to walk with it. With the seas being so rough.
View attachment 324218
That's a kick-a** looking leg, dude. Very handsome. So glad you got the time on the water with your sons. We're expecting great fish recipes from Rose.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I
It was a good time, even with the little rivalries between 2 of my sons. Sometimes they don't play well together.??
They were worried who was catching more fish or bigger fish. ?
Instead of being the good dad. I would add fuel to the fire with sarcastic comments to both of them. So I had fun in all aspects of the trip.??????
that WAS being a good dad Ray! i wouldn’t take anything in the world For my fishing trips with my dad... and he liked to “have his fun” also.. Your boys will never forget that:)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evenooning all.

Your fishing trip looked great Ray. Enjoy eating them!

Last night we had a hedgehog visit who couldn’t walk straight. We don’t think it was one of our regular.

So JoesDad and I raced out and grabbed it. The feed station proved to have an accidental design feature making capture easy! ?

I popped it in a large box with food and water and left it for the night in the conservatory. It clearly escaped, but returned to sleep in the box by the time we got up. So my first job this morning was to take it to the rescue. Given I had appointments from 10am, it was something of a rush, but I managed to get there and back in time!

I have a shift at 7am tomorrow, so I should be able to get an update. I’m not sure what time I’ll finish. They have nobody for the next two shifts :(
Poor thing.
Maybe he's been fighting too - at least he's in good hands now.
My hedgehog is back!
The camera picked him/her up last night. I can tell it's the same one because of a horseshoe shaped lighter patch on his backside.
He was scratching a fair bit which is probably fleas - is there anything I can do to help him with that?
Maybe a deeper tray of water for him to bathe in?
I'll start the feeding again too.
I was only checking to see if a mouse I've seen was still out there, so was really excited to see the Harry back and looking well. He was last seen in October.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Here we are still in April with another 80 degree day. I was able to muster up three others & get out kayaking.

On the gardening front, we already have a large banana pod flowering & s(owing its baby bananas.

View attachment 324183
Our temps are only averaging about 10C/50F give or take a couple of degrees for the next week.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

I know in some cultures shark fin soup is popular but the awful thing is they catch the sharks and cut off the fins then leave the shark alive dying a horrible death because it can't swim. There is footage of it somewhere and it's heartbreaking. ?
Would be kinder to kill it and use the rest of the meat too.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well my leg came late afternoon today when I got home. Now you can see why I wanted it for the trip. But in reality I wouldn't have been able to walk with it. With the seas being so rough.
View attachment 324218
Welcome back Ray and I hope the new leg is comfortable for you to use.
So glad you had a great time with your sons.
No need to save me any fish - I don't eat it, so all the more for you!!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
View attachment 324218

Ray...maybe get it repainted based on your trip. Some cool looking Hammerhead Sharks would go well!