COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good evening all, Saturday is almost over here.
I've had a busy day washing and ironing then re hanging a few pairs of curtains - thought I may as well make the most of the good drying weather. Of course it's when you take them down you realise that the windows really need cleaning, so did that too. Spring must have arrived with all this sorting and cleaning I'm doing but I'm off to bed now, so enjoy the rest of your and I'll see you tomorrow.
Nos Da.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I wanted to get dual or triple windows, but I want glass not plastic. Do they also come in g lass?
Our double glazing here has to have glass in it. The panes are nit plastic. The frames are usually plastic these days as wood is expensive.

I am surprised that @Maro2Bear said they were filled with methane. That’s flammable. Surely they’d use an inert gas?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all. Hopefully @Ray--Opo is now in the company of his sons and off enjoying a wonderful fishing weekend.

JoesDad and I spent yesterday out in glorious and warm, sunshine at the Knepp Estate which is about an hour from here.

The estate belongs to a stately home and used to be intensively farmed. However the landowner decided to make a radical change and has been rewilding the land for more than a decade. The fences have gone. The native trees and plants are encouraged. Old breed pigs and cows and native deer roam and their action has changed the ecology and habitats. All 3 animals are culled and the meat sold. But their biggest income is from people who visit and do tours or camp there.

The rewilding has meant that many endangered species of plant, bird, animal and bug have moved in and are thriving. We heard several nightingales; they’re small boring brown birds that are impossible to see but have amazing song.

We did a walking tour with an incredibly knowledgeable guide. Covid rules meant there were only 4 of us plus the guide which was brilliant.

The star species is White Stork which is only found breeding at three sites in the UK
B39E3B23-713A-4C9D-A466-1EECBF9F21D7.jpeg

Red deer (last year’s calves so no antlers)
18213A3B-E038-4B6D-96FD-447A7B23B01A.jpeg

Our guide was the kind of person who immediately recognised every bird call. He could also mimic many birds to call them in. This Nuthatch took the bait.
4AA6E652-A703-4549-A07A-51BC03ABFA25.jpeg

Some views
FE05D011-E62D-466B-9483-723C3EE0524C.jpeg4AD97174-A442-4015-86AE-29F16BD27C7D.jpeg

Young English Longhorn cattle
8A12BEB6-E9AF-461D-9821-D677F484F269.jpeg265C9787-B600-4CC7-9348-4B2EF5825BC4.jpeg

And a little video of small fish called Dace trying to scale a dam

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good mornooning all. Hopefully @Ray--Opo is now in the company of his sons and off enjoying a wonderful fishing weekend.

JoesDad and I spent yesterday out in glorious and warm, sunshine at the Knepp Estate which is about an hour from here.

The estate belongs to a stately home and used to be intensively farmed. However the landowner decided to make a radical change and has been rewilding the land for more than a decade. The fences have gone. The native trees and plants are encouraged. Old breed pigs and cows and native deer roam and their action has changed the ecology and habitats. All 3 animals are culled and the meat sold. But their biggest income is from people who visit and do tours or camp there.

The rewilding has meant that many endangered species of plant, bird, animal and bug have moved in and are thriving. We heard several nightingales; they’re small boring brown birds that are impossible to see but have amazing song.

We did a walking tour with an incredibly knowledgeable guide. Covid rules meant there were only 4 of us plus the guide which was brilliant.

The star species is White Stork which is only found breeding at three sites in the UK
View attachment 323827

View attachment 323828

Our guide was the kind of person who immediately recognised every bird call. He could also mimic many birds to call them in. This Nuthatch took the bait.
View attachment 323829

Some views
View attachment 323830View attachment 323831

View attachment 323832View attachment 323833

What a wonderful landowner - wish there was more of them about.
Crane and bitterns are nesting in/near the Newport RSPB wetlands area for the first time in hundreds of years but if the Welsh Government changes after next month's elections then they could be at threat from the plans for a second motorway again which will destroy the wetlands. The current government stopped the plans but there's still support for it from other parties.:(:mad:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning and Happy Sunday to you all.
I'm on a roll with the curtain washing so hopefully I'll manage to get a few more pairs done today.
There's quite a strong NE wind so it's a bit chilly but should dry them nicely.

Have a good day and TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Our double glazing here has to have glass in it. The panes are nit plastic. The frames are usually plastic these days as wood is expensive.

I am surprised that @Maro2Bear said they were filled with methane. That’s flammable. Surely they’d use an inert gas?

Hahahahah,, I did a bit of a rhyming thing there....all the PANEs filled with METHANE... and a whacko smiley. You’re right, they are filled with some super gas. Ogh well, that joke went out the window.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hahahahah,, I did a bit of a rhyming thing there....all the PANEs filled with METHANE... and a whacko smiley. You’re right, they are filled with some super gas. Ogh well, that joke went out the window.
I thought you were making burglar traps for if someone breaks the window---boom burglar gone!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well... time to lay around eat drink and recoup for Monday ??
That's what we did. They arrived early afternoon, so we just watched YouTube videos on TV of how and where we will be fishing.
Rose made a big pan of ravioli and garlic knots. She is priceless!❤

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It was early morning when I read it... I hadn’t finished my first cuppa ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

View attachment 323827

View attachment 323828

View attachment 323829

Some views
View attachment 323830View attachment 323831

View attachment 323832View attachment 323833

What a great way to give back to mother nature.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Good morning all!!! I can feel Rays excitement all the way down here in Texas! Now I’m excited too!!! ! Don’t know what Jayden and I are going to do today. We have many options. Hubby and friends are in Colfax at the Louisiana Mudfest which is hosting Trucks Gone Wild. I love watching the monster trucks but I’m not sure I want to make the day trip. Son doesn’t want to go and none of my girlfriends are there..??? My oldest sister has invited me to come her way and let Jayden play with my great nephew who is his age.. ??? Then there is life here on the farm.. I’m totally ok with staying home!! Lol
Yes the excitement has set in.????

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok everyone, Rose has me all packed and ready to go.?
Waiting for my son's, they should be here about 8:30 am. We will drive to the Miami area to pick up some bait fish that are the most preferred. I want to give us the best chance of catching fish.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok everyone, Rose has me all packed and ready to go.?
Waiting for my son's, they should be here about 8:30 am. We will drive to the Miami area to pick up some bait fish that are the most preferred. I want to give us the best chance of catching fish.
Bon voyage Ray. Have fun and fish!