COLD DARK ROOM

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
He was being dragged by his head and neck across my yard to be eaten. he was limp and bumping along the rocks in my yard as the coyote drag them along. My lab who recently passed away who’s picture is my profile pic was trying to stop the coyote and it got my attention. I thought Harry was dead. He went into shock and he had liver issues for a while. Where the fang marks penetrated he grows long hair and the rest of it is nearly bald and still has the same shave markings that he had a year ago. Nobody knows why the hair won’t grow because the skin is intact.

Attachments

• 1046BA8F-C391-4DF2-A867-4ACAB4FC37D6.jpeg
    1046BA8F-C391-4DF2-A867-4ACAB4FC37D6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 10A83F92-CC54-4CDB-96EE-494CD7DD98D3.jpeg
    10A83F92-CC54-4CDB-96EE-494CD7DD98D3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Why not? They’re not in your underwear and they probably don’t grow where you are anyway. You should look at all the pictures that are at the bottom of the website. There’s some gorgeous desert. One of them has a stunning Ocotillo which pisses me off because the Ocotillo is the other plant that I bought when my lemon tree died and it’s apparently dead as well. I love Ocotillo and always wanted one and I guess I’m gonna have to keep pining away for it.

Ocotillo grows in high desert, or at least higher than low desert! Sounds impossible, but I think the heat kills it. I really like them too, especially when they bloom!

Ocotillo flower.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
He was being dragged by his head and neck across my yard to be eaten. he was limp and bumping along the rocks in my yard as the coyote drag them along. My lab who recently passed away who’s picture is my profile pic was trying to stop the coyote and it got my attention. I thought Harry was dead. He went into shock and he had liver issues for a while. Where the fang marks penetrated he grows long hair and the rest of it is nearly bald and still has the same shave markings that he had a year ago. Nobody knows why the hair won’t grow because the skin is intact.

How in the world did you get Harry away from the coyote?

Amron

Lancashire. England
thank you so much for your support.
I thought it was Just me..
almost done with the meds and I have to use my new ramp I had to build yesterday for my tort to soak today. It has been a week and well....ONE of us smells..????
I would ask for help.. but you can see how that’s going... I understand Yvonne’s pain all too well...again thanks for your kind words. ❤
Hello. How sis the bath go? Are there pleasant smells around you and yours now?

Amron

Lancashire. England
Bless him. War scars. He is a survivor

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
How in the world did you get Harry away from the coyote?
I am not joking. I had to kick at the coyote in the nuts. He would not drop the dog and I was worried he was going to attack my lab who is 15 years old at the time and had only a few teeth left. I’m lucky he didn’t attack me but I wasn’t thinking about it at the time. It used to be back in the day those coyotes would run away when you yell and flap your arms at a minutes not happening anymore. They’re very bold. I had slippers on so I was pretty ineffective and if I really had to attack him I think I would’ve had a huge problem but he dropped the dog and ran for the citrus and I never looked back just hustled the dogs in. I found out Harry was alive when I scooped up his so-called body and he started viciously biting me which was the biggest injury I got from the whole fiasco. I am sure the coyote thought I was nuts.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello all

Life got a bit chaotic. Sorry for my absence. There’s probably far too much for me to catch up on. My Immediate concern is to find out how @EllieMay ’s daughter is. And also to catch up on @Yvonne G ’s progress.

When I left you, my mother in law had been admitted to hospital having had a pulmonary embolism. She was discharged last week at first in complete denial that she needed to do anything other than take pills.

By the weekend her tune had changed. She admitted that hospital without visitors and with staff in full PPE was an awful place and she never wants to go in again. She also admitted that she had been told that she must exercise daily ... and it seems Father in Law has finally succeeded in forcing her out of a chair and out of the house to take walks.

As soon as MiL was discharged, Daughter, who moved home the weekend before last because she is to be based in a different office, got sick. She started complaining of dizzy spells and then it quickest got a whole lot worse. The room was spinning constantly, she couldn’t move without vomiting. She couldn’t close her eyes without it getting worse. Even trying to chew food made it worse. The drugs she was given were useless because she vomited them straight back up.

She had a telephone appointment with the doctor and then blood tests and a face to face appointment with the doctor and was diagnosed with labyrinthitis. We have had a rough week. By Friday the room merely swayed constantly rather than span and yesterday the room stayed still as long as she was too. Today she is improved again, but still has a way to go. She won’t be returning to work this week.

With JoesDad working from home, I was at least able to still do my rescue shifts and my online yoga class.

The exciting news is that I am to be filmed for a television programme on Tuesday. A daytime property programme called Escape to the Country will be filming at the rescue; the show tries to find a property for a couple looking to move to a rural home and they always have a segment on something that might interest the couple in the area they want to move to. I’ve been asked me to show the couple what it’s like to be a volunteer at the rescue; we’ll be cleaning out hedgehogs apparently :)

Now I must call my Mum, but I’ll be back later :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We are good Cathie! Thank you for asking. I was just getting around to making a post. I got to bring Jess home today... we are very happy! It’s been hard for her though. There are many things that you can’t do with only one arm.. but you dont realize how hard is is for someone.. especially when they have no control over a limb at all. She finds herself having to use her good hand to position the other arm which leaves her with no hands..:-( I have ordered special slings and immobilizers for her but I feel so out of my element.. it’s really a learning experience.. I’m not good at not having control of my surroundings.. I also have set many alarms for lots of meds. I’m going to bring some help in a couple days a week once we get some kind or routine established.. anyway... I meant for this to be a positive post.. I’m just really glad she’s home.. I’m thankful for all of you.
So pleased to read that she’s home. I wish her a speedy recovery x

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello all

Life got a bit chaotic. Sorry for my absence. There’s probably far too much for me to catch up on. My Immediate concern is to find out how @EllieMay ’s daughter is. And also to catch up on @Yvonne G ’s progress.

When I left you, my mother in law had been admitted to hospital having had a pulmonary embolism. She was discharged last week at first in complete denial that she needed to do anything other than take pills.

By the weekend her tune had changed. She admitted that hospital without visitors and with staff in full PPE was an awful place and she never wants to go in again. She also admitted that she had been told that she must exercise daily ... and it seems Father in Law has finally succeeded in forcing her out of a chair and out of the house to take walks.

As soon as MiL was discharged, Daughter, who moved home the weekend before last because she is to be based in a different office, got sick. She started complaining of dizzy spells and then it quickest got a whole lot worse. The room was spinning constantly, she couldn’t move without vomiting. She couldn’t close her eyes without it getting worse. Even trying to chew food made it worse. The drugs she was given were useless because she vomited them straight back up.

She had a telephone appointment with the doctor and then blood tests and a face to face appointment with the doctor and was diagnosed with labyrinthitis. We have had a rough week. By Friday the room merely swayed constantly rather than span and yesterday the room stayed still as long as she was too. Today she is improved again, but still has a way to go. She won’t be returning to work this week.

With JoesDad working from home, I was at least able to still do my rescue shifts and my online yoga class.

The exciting news is that I am to be filmed for a television programme on Tuesday. A daytime property programme called Escape to the Country will be filming at the rescue; the show tries to find a property for a couple looking to move to a rural home and they always have a segment on something that might interest the couple in the area they want to move to. I’ve been asked me to show the couple what it’s like to be a volunteer at the rescue; we’ll be cleaning out hedgehogs apparently :)

Now I must call my Mum, but I’ll be back later :)

Wow! Quite the update from you, all kinds of interesting news, but all on the up-in-up i think. Interesting diagnosis on your daughter. When we lived in Tbilisi, Geogia, wifey came down with this same syndrome! And apparently lots if people there do as well, from a virus in the water they suspect. It’s very common, doctor at the Enbassy knew straightaway what it was. We call it Vertigo. https://www.webmd.com/brain/vertigo-symptoms-causes-treatment#1

Good luck on the acting!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here’s the latest pictures of my little Chihuahua mix taking a nap. She likes to wrap her face and nose with her feet when she’s sleeping and she likes to put her head on pillows.
It's so funny that Mookie is mixed with a chihuahua. She actually looks like the chihuahua that had a puppy with my chocolate Cocker. They somehow manage. Do you think they've learned how to use a ladder? That was a great puppy. The family that got him loved him to pieces and had him for years.??