COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings all, going to be hot hot and humid again. Yes, broken record. It’s Summer i guess. Wifey off early to get some greens & goods & things for us & Sully. I was watching her back out onto our street & I suddenly had to yell for to STOP! Yep, a cute little box turtle marching right down the street right behind her tire (tyre). Close call. Would have been tragic to squish a turtle right in our driveway! Pix to come.

Our LARGE Lord Baltimore Hardy Hibiscus are finally blooming! Normally they bloom on 4 July. The blooms last one full day, fade then new ones open the next. Nice large blossoms (for Sully).

CCCDBC7F-3420-46B1-8B2E-4461CCD6E072.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Greetings all, going to be hot hot and humid again. Yes, broken record. It’s Summer i guess. Wifey off early to get some greens & goods & things for us & Sully. I was watching her back out onto our street & I suddenly had to yell for to STOP! Yep, a cute little box turtle marching right down the street right behind her tire (tyre). Close call. Would have been tragic to squish a turtle right in our driveway! Pix to come.

Our LARGE Lord Baltimore Hardy Hibiscus are finally blooming! Normally they bloom on 4 July. The blooms last one full day, fade then new ones open the next. Nice large blossoms (for Sully).

View attachment 300247

As promised, some pix of the ”rescued” Box Turtle. Check out that coloration!

D38F2F46-7981-4113-A2B4-BAE84826C944.jpeg106A6308-D47C-4D6C-B8E8-37F5D79470A7.jpeg7064D187-A09C-4238-8A99-9994E0813F8C.jpeg98B5401C-9A98-449E-8378-532EDABF92DA.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I didn't get a direct hit either. I was inland, in an area that never gets a direct hit. Butttt we had the stormy winds, rain, down trees, no power, and etc. I also had to help the people that had taken a direct hit and the people relocating. It was worth it.
The first hurricane we experienced was in 2016 right after getting Opo. We put him in a cardboard box and headed for Georgia. I forgot to bring his UVB and heat. He hated his box so he slept with me. I would lay on my back ,set him on my chest and cover with the blanket at night. Soaked him in the bathroom sink. It was only in the 60° so to cold to bring him outside. I think back now with not knowing Opo's needs. It's a wonder the little guy made it without getting sick. Crawling around a hotel floor.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The first hurricane we experienced was in 2016 right after getting Opo. We put him in a cardboard box and headed for Georgia. I forgot to bring his UVB and heat. He hated his box so he slept with me. I would lay on my back ,set him on my chest and cover with the blanket at night. Soaked him in the bathroom sink. It was only in the 60° so to cold to bring him outside. I think back now with not knowing Opo's needs. It's a wonder the little guy made it without getting sick. Crawling around a hotel floor.
For a short time away (a few days), the UVB isn't necessary, and supplemental heating may be optional, depending on the age and species of tortoise/turtle and the ambient temperatures.

Now we know Opo would be stuck having to sleep in a bin, and he'd just have to deal with it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I wanted to say earlier......i really doubt @Chubbs the tegu is a “tea” kind of guy. Maybe if Jack Daniels produces tea then yes, but not Yorkshire teas....or Bigelow types. Just guessing.....

But, just in case... ➡➡ https://www.foodsharkmarfa.com/best-herbal-tea/
Yeah, i don't think he is a tea kind of guy either but I told him to make tea, not necessarily to drink it. The act of making it would give him something else to do and a little time to regroup. ;)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Saphire was a survivor even before he met me. Then he survived that. He's my little walking rock.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 300247
Ahh nice. Beautiful blooms and get to play with a turtle too. Maybe she'll learn her lesson. Don't play in the street...a human might pick you up. I had that happen here with a Midwest paint. It was interesting for a day or so.