COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Good afternooning all. I have been for a routine health assessment this afternoon and passed with pretty much flying colours. Cholesterol “fantastic”, ECG normal, low risk of heart problems and diabetes :) .. I just need to lose around 7lb/3kg, which I knew anyway and I am steadily sorting that. When my knee gave out earlier this year my weight went up but now I am able to exercise properly I am sure the rest of what I put on will go too. (Although it’s not long until Christmas :p )

I have blood test results to wait for, but hopefully there’ll be nothing unexpected. :)

I came back to a 4 page letter (that’s big A4 pages not little ones) from my neurotic neighbour over the road. She has computer problems again. I seriously do not have time to look at this in the next fortnight. I am going north to visit Mum tomorrow, have full days of meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, the Rescue Friday, London Saturday,....

I chickened out of calling in, as I wouldn’t escape in under an hour, and wrote a note apologising and saying she needs to take it to a computer repair shop. She isn’t short of cash, just very “needy”. I have recommended a couple of places locally she can use, but she’s probably having a meltdown right now.

I have done odd things for her in the past with her computer, but there is a limit to how much time I can volunteer for this kind of thing. She’s going to have to get her bank card out. * sigh *

Four pages to ask for a favour!!! I remember that neighbour of yours. Sigh.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I don't weigh my box turtle as often these days as I did when she was a hatchling... but I used to weigh her both before and after soaks. I made notations about whether she ate and pooped while soaking. It makes a big difference when you're talking about a hatchling.
I didn't notice she didn't smile. I am going to razz her about that. I was smiling that's the best it gets :):):)
i tend not to really smile in photos, I look like a psychopath if I do.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't weigh my box turtle as often these days as I did when she was a hatchling... but I used to weigh her both before and after soaks. I made notations about whether she ate and pooped while soaking. It makes a big difference when you're talking about a hatchling.
Yes.and you have their baby book later.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I was in the quarantine room today, the college cares for animals that cannot be cared for anymore aswell or rescues. There was one poor Hermanns with Pneumonia, I’ve seen this before in a tort but this was not a pretty picture.

I have OCD so as soon as I got home I had a shower and didn’t go near my torts for the rest of the day lol, I don’t want to spread anything.

OCD can be used as an advantage when working with animals, for example their enclosures must be tidy and clean etc...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was in the quarantine room today, the college cares for animals that cannot be cared for anymore aswell or rescues. There was one poor Hermanns with Pneumonia, I’ve seen this before in a tort but this was not a pretty picture.

I have OCD so as soon as I got home I had a shower and didn’t go near my torts for the rest of the day lol, I don’t want to spread anything.

OCD can be used as an advantage when working with animals, for example their enclosures must be tidy and clean etc...
Does that mean that I'm OCD?? I do the same so there's no cross contamination. Sounds good to me.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I came home and made my rounds with the critters.. I’m missing two ducks [emoji22]..
No signs of fowl play, no bodies... just gone! Kids haven’t noticed yet and I’m praying they just magically show up.. somehow, I doubt it [emoji20]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I came home and made my rounds with the critters.. I’m missing two ducks [emoji22]..
No signs of fowl play, no bodies... just gone! Kids haven’t noticed yet and I’m praying they just magically show up.. somehow, I doubt it [emoji20]
Oh no. Darn it. I hope it wasn't a critter that got them, because once they learn where the meal is they'll keep coming back. Your ducks can't fly yet, right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whoo Hoo!!! I'm sending electricity back through to grid to the power company once again!. Hopefully it will stay that way from now on. The guy told me that 10 years ago when my system was installed 'they' weren't using the heavy gauge wires for connectors that they use now-a-days. He found several panels that needed to be re-wired. So I said, "...this means that I'll keep having this problem until all the wiring has been updated?" He hopes not, but maybe so.

So I've made smaller night areas inside each tortoise shed, replaced the pig blankets with radiant heat panels and this winter I shouldn't use as much electricity as I used last winter. And my solar system is producing once again. Hopefully things are all good for a while now!

The inverter was guaranteed for 10 years and the panels usually last about 20 years, so my old inverter went out 4 months after the 10 year mark. The new inverter should last as long as my existing panels. Good grief, I'll be 91 in 10 years. You buy something like that and expect it will last forever. It never occurred to me I would be having to spend more money on it.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Yes he definitely doesn't seem to mind the cold [emoji848] his daddy doesn't either lol. I am a freeze baby [emoji3526] if my son had the choice he would never wear clothes.. I'm sure that was all of us at some point or another, we just don't remember it lol
I guess your son is the only one who doesn’t mind the cold? [emoji23]

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oh wow! When I had my daughter she came out 9 pounds ... But she popped my sacroiliac joints out of place and I'm still fighting with that. Thank you so much. I definitely will be trying to rub the kinks out..

My two were 9lb 4oz and then 9lb 14oz. Let’s just say musculoskeletal problems have featured ever since including two surgeries on a prolapsed lumbar disk :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all. The worst part of the week is over. I have had two days of meetings at my governor schools where we were digging in depth into the data around the public exam results for each that came out last month.

Last night we went to the local theatre to see Welsh comedian Rhod Gilbert. It was properly funny; real belly laugh stuff. Just what I needed :)

Today I start with yoga, much more relaxing, and then have another governor meeting this afternoon.

Tomorrow, I finally get back to the rescue!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Oh no. Darn it. I hope it wasn't a critter that got them, because once they learn where the meal is they'll keep coming back. Your ducks can't fly yet, right?

No they can’t fly. I had the same thought about the critter.. I went out just before dark to try and get them in the roost but they wouldn’t come. They were out on the water. I woke up once in the night and took a flashlight to check on them and they stayed on the edge of the water. Something definitely spooked them where they learned that water was safer because that wasn’t something they have done before. I just can’t imagine what got two with out leaving a single feather! [emoji35]