COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Beautiful! I don’t know cicadas, but I’d imagine it must be similar to our crickets.... or for those of us in the swampier areas, the frogs[emoji12]

They’re ugly looking things with the noise output of frogs or crickets. They get quite big. We’ve seen them around 1.5 inches
3408B023-3297-418E-B30F-296E7AFE319C-12436-000014693273A79B.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There is one made by farm innovations I think. It is very similar with the hard plastic cover. I believe it was designed for lambs?? I have the small one that I bought from one of our farm suppliers. It’s been well used by Toretto when he was indoors and now by Pickles..I run it on an inkbird thermostat.. GOOD LUCK!
Thanks Ellie I have found a company in the UK that sells the Stanfield heat mats so emailed them for prices etc.
They won't be cheap but I'm hoping that it will be able to do the same job as the central heating radiator and save me some money in bills!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
They’re ugly looking things with the noise output of frogs or crickets. They get quite big. We’ve seen them around 1.5 inches
View attachment 278420

Oh... Locusts ... it’s amazing what you don’t know:)) . I had never heard Cicada until you said that, but when I googled to get you a locust picture, it’s everywhere.. lol - and apparently the same thing:)
As kids, we would play with the “sheds”... I ran across one just a couple days ago on a fence post..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Oh... Locusts ... it’s amazing what you don’t know:)) . I had never heard Cicada until you said that, but when I googled to get you a locust picture, it’s everywhere.. lol - and apparently the same thing:)
As kids, we would play with the “sheds”... I ran across one just a couple days ago on a fence post..

I thought you knew what they were/are.

But here we call your “locusts” grasshoppers

ECA6F0EE-A0E2-4088-8966-D3C20393B327.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I thought you knew what they were/are.

But here we call your “locusts” grasshoppers

View attachment 278426

And now I see that your grasshopper locusts are the proper insect for the name:) Texas slang gets me every time... Google says that the term “locust” is commonly misused here for the cicadas... [emoji12]. I did see that Texas is experiencing the 17year thing too . I’ve been educated !

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
And now I see that your grasshopper locusts are the proper insect for the name:) Texas slang gets me every time... Google says that the term “locust” is commonly misused here for the cicadas... [emoji12]. I did see that Texas is experiencing the 17year thing too . I’ve been educated !
Cicadas are annoying, when we went to Rome a few years ago they were everywhere. The night we got back home I could still hear their sound in my head as I tried to get to sleep.

Here’s a video I found on the internet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish we could get Kane mats here.
I found one place but they only had old stock without the thermostats and way too big for what I wanted, but there aren't any other stockists left in the UK now.
I'll have to start searching again for something similar before the temps drop.
Look into radiant heat panels instead. They use less electricity and you can mount them on a side wall. Better than bottom heat. Here's what they look like:
night house b.jpg radiant-heat-panel-28w-rbi.jpg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Marge likes to poop in her bed time cave. It’s fun for her but not for me, so I put a barrier over the front of the cave and remove it at her bed time. Today she decided to climb to the top of her cave and push down the barrier. She must have been watching me push it aside from the top. “Clever girl” (Jurassic park quote):)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not just Florida. I know South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi and even some of West TN has the.
Ohio too but I've not seen fire ants. I once saw one of the larger black ants get ahold of one of the anoles in Florida. I tried my best to try and help the anole but couldn't.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Those names are misused in Ohio too. We get cicadas every year. I haven't seen the actual locusts for many years. I hope we're not due for that 17 year cycle. I haven't seen many grasshoppers for several years.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Marge likes to poop in her bed time cave. It’s fun for her but not for me, so I put a barrier over the front of the cave and remove it at her bed time. Today she decided to climb to the top of her cave and push down the barrier. She must have been watching me push it aside from the top. “Clever girl” (Jurassic park quote):)
Hehehe...hahaha...I actually wondered though if a tortoise could be litter trained to their spot.