COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Happy Sunday everyone.
This weekend marks something of a milestone for Lola and I.
It was 5 years ago on the 19th when I brought Lola home with the intention of passing him on to my sister, but owing to a change in circumstances, she couldn't take him after all.
I was going to try to re home him elsewhere as I had never had any desire to have a tortoise in my life, and contacted Bristol Zoo, Longleat Safari Park and various UK tort organisations, but he quickly wormed his way into my affections so he is still here ruling the roost!
It wasn't and sometimes still isn't easy, but thankfully I found TFO and became a member on the 22nd which started me on my journey of learning about anything and everything tort related.
Thank heavens for the TFO and it's many experienced members!!!

Happy tortiversary Lyn and Lola [emoji4] What a partnership [emoji4][emoji217]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Happy Sunday everyone.
It was 5 years ago on the 19th when I brought Lola home with the intention of passing him on to my sister, but owing to a change in circumstances, she couldn't take him after all.
I was going to try to re home him elsewhere as I had never had any desire to have a tortoise in my life, and contacted Bristol Zoo, Longleat Safari Park and various UK tort organisations, but he quickly wormed his way into my affections so he is still here ruling the roost!
It wasn't and sometimes still isn't easy, but thankfully I found TFO and became a member on the 22nd which started me on my journey of learning about anything and everything tort related.
So tomorrow is your 5 year Forum anniversary. You should be getting a five year banner soon. Congratulations!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I've fed, watered and cleaned up after the tortoises, watered the plants and picked up after Misty. Now I'm going to cut my hair and wash it. I think I'll get some pictures. I've been letting it grow because I THOUGHT I wanted a long pony tail from the nape of my neck. But every time I look in the mirror I think, "my goodness, this hair style makes you look old!" So back to short hair it is. Yes, I'm old, but I don't necessarily have to look THAT old!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, I’m not sure what that is in Fahrenheit
My little chart says 86°f at 30°c. I even have the formulas written down somewhere to convert all that. It probably is a better way but it would be hard for me. I grew up with our measurements and it's second nature to me now. I figured it had to be close to 90° f or you lived too close to the North pole.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well, I've fed, watered and cleaned up after the tortoises, watered the plants and picked up after Misty. Now I'm going to cut my hair and wash it. I think I'll get some pictures. I've been letting it grow because I THOUGHT I wanted a long pony tail from the nape of my neck. But every time I look in the mirror I think, "my goodness, this hair style makes you look old!" So back to short hair it is. Yes, I'm old, but I don't necessarily have to look THAT old!!!
I always end up chopping off my hair too. I intend to take the time to go to a "beauty" shop but get sick of how it feels so chop chop. I enjoyed the pictures of you on that thread. I figure, if you don't like how I look then don't look. Like you I'm kinda old.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes! Ben lives on the coast and the sea (The English Channel) moderates the extremes. l live about 35 miles inland from Ben and it makes quite a difference
That's so nice that it's such a small world thanks to the internet. I actually have talked with a young person (employee) at our local pet supply plus that is a TFO member. He has a beloved Russian. I haven't talked about it lately with him because he was new on the job. Another employee was getting on him because he was spending so much time with me.??? Instead of doing his job??? The next time I need critter supplies it will be different. I saw him again the other day but he was the cashier and...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I saw Toy story 4, if you listen closely in one of the scenes you can hear the song “Midnight, the stars and you” which features in “the Shining” which is one of my favourite films. So creepy:eek:

I watched Toy Story 4 a few weeks ago.

My kids grew up with the series. They got very emotional at the end of the third film when Andy gave his toys away because he was going to college. It was a bit close to home as they were that age too! :D

Son says TS4 made him a bit cross at the end. I have yet to find out why. Daughter hasn’t seen it yet.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I watched Toy Story 4 a few weeks ago.

My kids grew up with the series. They got very emotional at the end of the third film when Andy gave his toys away because he was going to college. It was a bit close to home as they were that age too! :D

Son says TS4 made him a bit cross at the end. I have yet to find out why. Daughter hasn’t seen it yet.
Yes I think I know why he was annoyed about the ending, I wont say any spoilers:D

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I had a frog in my kitchen yesterday morning, I thought I had dropped some of Lola's food and went to pick it up.
I had quite a shock when it was cold and slimy!!:eek:
I managed to put it back out in the garden though and hopefully it will stay out there.
I like having frogs around but don't like handling them.

Lol.. they are shocking when your not expecting it:)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Happy Sunday everyone.

Awwww! Happy milestone. Somethings are just meant to be :))

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I wish I was brave enough to do my own hair - I hate being fussed over by a hairdresser but I think I would end up looking like a mad woman if I tried to cut it myself.

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

You cut your own hair??? That’s a talent that I’m outrageously jealous over!!! So I want to see the finished pic please:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish I was brave enough to do my own hair - I hate being fussed over by a hairdresser but I think I would end up looking like a mad woman if I tried to cut it myself.
I just grab a handful and whack it off with the scissors. Well, it may be a bit more scientific than that. I part off a small section, measure appx how far I want the end product to be from my scalp and cut with the scissors. I make it all the same length all over my whole head. And, yes. . . I probably do look like a mad woman, but that's pretty much my normal look anyway!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You cut your own hair??? That’s a talent that I’m outrageously jealous over!!! So I want to see the finished pic please:)
So, here's a couple of "befores":

selfie before 7-21-19 a.jpg selfie before 7-21-19 b.jpg

And here's a couple of "afters":

selfie after 7-21-19 a.jpg
selfie after 7-21-19 b.jpg

Most of that hair in the waste basket is brown. Looks like all I have left now is white/grey. I'm totally happy with the result. I don't know why on earth I ever tried to allow it to grow.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, I know, like a broken record, but we are literally baking hot here in the East Coast, with “feels like” temperatures in the 110’sF!

54DFAC46-D8A5-41E5-8F62-1BDFA96EB46B.jpeg

A few of us hit the water again early to get our paddling in before the oppressive mid-day heat.

Looking East out over the Chesapeake Bay toward Maryland’s Eastern Shore
99895A55-3E2D-4E49-9D77-1D1A6E19CBFA.jpeg CE9BE720-A97A-43C4-A2C1-9CF9B17353E4.jpeg

Lunch and Swim Spot
93AB751C-D3AD-42E7-843E-F708280D9486.jpeg