COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Just popped in to see what I've missed in your busy lives while I've had another marathon ironing session.
Considering it's just me, I can't believe how much ironing I have to do!
Anyway it's bedtime now so I'll probably see you tomorrow evening because I'm off out for Sunday lunch - can't wait!!!:)
Nos Da all take care.

Last edited:

Pastel Tortie

North Florida

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I didn't have to hold his head I just held him under my left arm slightly tilted forward and his head came out so I was able to file in short bursts.
He actually tried to bite that too.
I may try to get him to a vet on Monday to check it properly but it's quite difficult carrying a tort with crutches, so I'll see if my nephew can come with me in a taxi.
Good luck. It's probably just like a dried out fingernail that cracked. Just needs a trim. But I'm not an expert so. I think Saphire might put up with me holding him like you said. He only pulls his head back from me now like a normal reflex. I don't want me or anybody else holding his jawbones to do that if I can keep from it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can hear Carol shivering down in Cape Town! :D We don’t get snow like that ever in this part of the country.

When I was a teenager in the 1970s living further north in Yorkshire, we used to get a lot of snow every winter. Nothing like what Canadians call snow, but it would regularly be over a foot/30cm deep.

Climate change means it rarely happens up there these days.
She's probably enjoying and just chilling out. Last time I heard she likes a nice breeze.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Last month I would have had Joe outside no problem. I had adaptations for him (see here https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/ ) that meant he would cope with the more normal temperatures now.

Sadly Joe had to be put to sleep almost exactly 2 years ago due to a tumour :( We miss him dreadfully.

Very sorry...I read the entire thing you had him for a very long time...It’s also very interesting to me because I also have a tort in a cold climate (that can’t hibernate tho) and this gives me tips and hope it’s gonna be okay. Mine should get bigger so it should be able to keep it’s warm even longer in theory. I have to ask...will you get another tort?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good afternoon all.
Hope everyone is having a super Saturday!

Lola has had a freak accident today leaving him with a jagged beak.:(
He was in his bath and I was holding onto the side of it ready to lift him out. He was sniffing the back of my hand when he made a grab for it and got his beak stuck behind my gold ring.
He shot back into his shell and as he pulled back he broke off a small v shaped piece of his beak,
It didn't bleed at all and I managed to file a sharp piece down using a file attachment on an electric nail care kit I have, which he tolerated pretty well apart from peeing all down me.
He sulked for a while but he is eating OK, - what are the chances of that happening?

is there anything else I should do to make sure he and his beak are OK?

Holy smoke... that is a freak accident!!! Hope it’s all ok!

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Bless him!
He could do with some earmuffs to keep those extremities warm!:)

My wife tried to make him a hat but it doesn’t work with his giant ears. it doesn’t look like it but it was a pretty hot day in the afternoon about 3c and with that much snow it isolate the air making it warmer the dog was not cold at all with his 2 coats. He did however sometimes had a hard time following jumping from our footstep to footsep, snow is not the best for mexican dogs, or sully’s lol

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yes. I could do a betta. Yours looks cute, happy, and beautiful. We live in a small house and I'm small. That really narrows down what I can do. I'd rather have a happy small then a big tortured, bored animal. I'll call mine Darth or Black Betty...if

Almost all black moors with age become lighter, some become grey some become even orange! What’s fun with bettas is you can setup a cool planted tank with lots of plant and wood and put a couple of female and they will usually live in harmony, it also works with one male with them but if your condition are good he will often make buble nests and it’s only once there’s eggs in the nest that he will become aggressive to the females as with bettas the male is the best dad in the world and even picks up every single falling eggs, the females don’t care, some even try to eat the eggs.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Almost all black moors with age become lighter, some become grey some become even orange! What’s fun with bettas is you can setup a cool planted tank with lots of plant and wood and put a couple of female and they will usually live in harmony, it also works with one male with them but if your condition are good he will often make buble nests and it’s only once there’s eggs in the nest that he will become aggressive to the females as with bettas the male is the best dad in the world and even picks up every single falling eggs, the females don’t care, some even try to eat the eggs.
What you have said is true. But if this would be @Cathie G first betta, I would suggest she not attempt it so soon.

There's just so much that can go wrong...just like putting two tortoises together.

And she said she is short on space. I don't think I would attempt a sorority in anything smaller than a 20L.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Very sorry...I read the entire thing you had him for a very long time...It’s also very interesting to me because I also have a tort in a cold climate (that can’t hibernate tho) and this gives me tips and hope it’s gonna be okay. Mine should get bigger so it should be able to keep it’s warm even longer in theory. I have to ask...will you get another tort?
Thank you. This year has been easier than last. Awareness of the weather due to Joe for so long means the changing seasons still keep him in our minds. It’s not so painful now; we are coming to terms with what felt like losing a member of the family after so long.

Another? Never say never. The answer is no at the moment, but longer term... who knows? :)

If we do, it will be an older animal in need of rehoming rather than a baby.

One of the mods, Barb aka @wellington, keeps a Sulcata in Chicago, she might be a good reference for you :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just popped in to see what I've missed in your busy lives while I've had another marathon ironing session.
Considering it's just me, I can't believe how much ironing I have to do!
Anyway it's bedtime now so I'll probably see you tomorrow evening because I'm off out for Sunday lunch - can't wait!!!:)
Nos Da all take care.

I loathe ironing. Fortunately, I generally only have JoesDad’s work shirts to do. I have a pair of my smart trousers to iron as well this week. I do everything thing possible not to have to iron anything :D

Enjoy your Sunday lunch :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good mornooning all.

JoesDad is flying to New Delhi for work this evening. He’ll be back on Friday night. He has been there for work many times before, even working out there for 17 months continuously at one stage and commuting back and forth every fortnight.

I have never been to India; there’s no point going when he is working as he does long days in the office and it’s not somewhere I would feel comfortable exploring on my own. At the time of his long contract the children’s school public exams completely wrecked any chance of going out.

But we the children have grown up and have lives of their own so it will happen sometime in the future :)

We have started to hatch plans for a long and exciting trip overseas next year (not involving India) I am certain we haven’t had CDR postcards from this part of the world from anyone... I shall keep you on tenterhooks and will let it unfold once we have something more certain ;)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good afternoon all.
Hope everyone is having a super Saturday!

Lola has had a freak accident today leaving him with a jagged beak.:(
He was in his bath and I was holding onto the side of it ready to lift him out. He was sniffing the back of my hand when he made a grab for it and got his beak stuck behind my gold ring.
He shot back into his shell and as he pulled back he broke off a small v shaped piece of his beak,
It didn't bleed at all and I managed to file a sharp piece down using a file attachment on an electric nail care kit I have, which he tolerated pretty well apart from peeing all down me.
He sulked for a while but he is eating OK, - what are the chances of that happening?

is there anything else I should do to make sure he and his beak are OK?

Wow, thats a freak accident. Nice you could file it down.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Happy Sunday all.

And the second week of the great Florida adventure continues. We broke “kayak camp” early Saturday morning, with peeps departing their separate ways. Some driving, some flying straight back to the Maryland area. That said, I dropped off one of our team at the airport and continued straight to Ocala (Florida) Silver Springs area where I paddled on the famous Silver River.

Crystal clear spring waters, brilliant green lush vegetation, tons of turtles, birds, alligators and even monkeys! Ogh..forgot to mention the manatees too!

Once completed 10.2 mile route, I loaded up the kayak and drove over to Florida’s east coast (Atlantic side) to Ormond Beach. Wifey flys in this afternoon and we are here for the week.

And now, just a few pix to share.

6359D40D-7A45-4EC7-BEA2-6645E3550CF6.jpeg 2989FA80-5304-4C06-BE45-95D03C073AF8.jpeg
Tons of Turtles

5A83DAE8-3589-4B6E-BD3A-46CE3E823435.jpeg
A Few Alligators

17B686ED-6C73-43B6-AB11-62F04C838C3C.jpeg
Manatees Under My Kayak

F69AAC50-A27F-4FC7-BDC4-4A08639E21D6.jpeg 98EA6515-894C-4C9A-8331-BCE98D32DDF4.jpeg
These Are Anhingas

17B0E658-71A4-4497-B2DA-9E00A1077DDC.jpeg
And a Monkey or Three