COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Good afternoon all.
Hope everyone is having a super Saturday!

Lola has had a freak accident today leaving him with a jagged beak.:(
He was in his bath and I was holding onto the side of it ready to lift him out. He was sniffing the back of my hand when he made a grab for it and got his beak stuck behind my gold ring.
He shot back into his shell and as he pulled back he broke off a small v shaped piece of his beak,
It didn't bleed at all and I managed to file a sharp piece down using a file attachment on an electric nail care kit I have, which he tolerated pretty well apart from peeing all down me.
He sulked for a while but he is eating OK, - what are the chances of that happening?

is there anything else I should do to make sure he and his beak are OK?
I wish I knew how you held his head while filing. I have a battery operated nail tool that works like a dremal but not as scary. I wish I knew how to hold their head safely for a beak trim. Saphire is starting to use a cuddle bone but never would before. So he needs a little bit of filing.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes. I looked it up. But I found out they actually need a really big aquarium so I'd probably have to do a betta. If what I've read is true.
Yes, a black moor is a type of goldfish, and does need a big tank.

I have my betta in a 5g tank. Don't go any smaller than that. The common idea that a betta can live in a vase is ludicrous. Yes, he will survive, but have a horrible life. Bettas are intelligent and interactive. Mine is in the kitchen so he gets lots of attention. They can even be taught simple tricks.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, a black moor is a type of goldfish, and does need a big tank.

I have my betta in a 5g tank. Don't go any smaller than that. The common idea that a betta can live in a vase is ludicrous. Yes, he will survive, but have a horrible life. Bettas are intelligent and interactive. Mine is in the kitchen so he gets lots of attention. They can even be taught simple tricks.
Yes. I could do a betta. Yours looks cute, happy, and beautiful. We live in a small house and I'm small. That really narrows down what I can do. I'd rather have a happy small then a big tortured, bored animal. I'll call mine Darth or Black Betty...if

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Our roof is terra cotta, so I would want something that goes with that, but light. The light pink sounds good!

If we keep talking about this I'm going to want to do it! But it has to wait...we just signed up today to have an alarm/video monitoring system installed on the house. They had a special offer.
Yep you have to go with what life offers you at a bargain. Later you may get another bargain when it's time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Aw you are so lucky you have the gulf stream! Here when it goes higher than 0C you see people start going outside and walk/run. Is it hot enough for you to put a tort outside under the sun?

Last month I would have had Joe outside no problem. I had adaptations for him (see here https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/ ) that meant he would cope with the more normal temperatures now.

Sadly Joe had to be put to sleep almost exactly 2 years ago due to a tumour :( We miss him dreadfully.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternoon all.
Hope everyone is having a super Saturday!

Lola has had a freak accident today leaving him with a jagged beak.:(
He was in his bath and I was holding onto the side of it ready to lift him out. He was sniffing the back of my hand when he made a grab for it and got his beak stuck behind my gold ring.
He shot back into his shell and as he pulled back he broke off a small v shaped piece of his beak,
It didn't bleed at all and I managed to file a sharp piece down using a file attachment on an electric nail care kit I have, which he tolerated pretty well apart from peeing all down me.
He sulked for a while but he is eating OK, - what are the chances of that happening?

is there anything else I should do to make sure he and his beak are OK?

Oh Lola! Why are you such a worry to poor Lyn? :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Today's walk was the hardest momo ever had. As you can see in the pics I had snow up my knees and im 6' so imagine for this 6lb dog...He still had a lot of fun!View attachment 268017View attachment 268018View attachment 268019

I can hear Carol shivering down in Cape Town! :D We don’t get snow like that ever in this part of the country.

When I was a teenager in the 1970s living further north in Yorkshire, we used to get a lot of snow every winter. Nothing like what Canadians call snow, but it would regularly be over a foot/30cm deep.

Climate change means it rarely happens up there these days.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hello friends in the CDR. It's been awhile since I've been here I hope everyone and their Torts are doing ok. I'm finally getting started on my pond today. I've decided to put it on my car port. It will get sun there and I think it will be easier to keep clean vs all the falling leaves in my backyard. Here's what I'm starting withView attachment 267925 View attachment 267926
Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I wish I knew how you held his head while filing. I have a battery operated nail tool that works like a dremal but not as scary. I wish I knew how to hold their head safely for a beak trim. Saphire is starting to use a cuddle bone but never would before. So he needs a little bit of filing.
I didn't have to hold his head I just held him under my left arm slightly tilted forward and his head came out so I was able to file in short bursts.
He actually tried to bite that too.
I may try to get him to a vet on Monday to check it properly but it's quite difficult carrying a tort with crutches, so I'll see if my nephew can come with me in a taxi.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am here.:) My pets need a lot of time. Working and other things too. Sorry that I have not much time for the CDR but I will never leave completely.:) Thank you for thinking of me.:oops:
Hi Sabine:)
We do miss you and your wit, wisdom and wonderful warbling (I couldn't find another word for 'singing' that starts with w) :rolleyes: