Coil Type UV Bulbs, Don't Use Them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
Interesting topic.

What is the new word on heat rocks? Would those under tank heat pad/mats be just as bad?

I think one of the problems is that some of these products are just fine, or even perfect for other applications with other animals, but in a broad store like petco or petsmart, it's a short 1-isle "reptile section" and how many people that work at those stores own a tortoise?

Ultimately, it's our own responsibility to do our research, and if there are hit and miss problems with one product, I'm going to choose the one that doesn't hold that stigma.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
PEEEETE said:
Interesting topic.

What is the new word on heat rocks? Would those under tank heat pad/mats be just as bad?

Well, kinda like you said, any product can be fine if used correctly, and likewise, any product can have issues if NOT used properly. Many people have issue with undertank heaters (UTHs), but I think a lot of it is human error more than a faulty product. They either do not used a rheostat/thermostat or they use it with on caging materials not intended for UTHs. And a lot of people (especially when using them with glass tanks) do not raise up the tank, which allows air flow and prevents heat build-up under the tank, and also doesn't rest/pinch on the cord of the UTH (even though most UTHs actually come with little rubber stoppers for this very purpose!).

The main advantage UTHs have over heat rocks is that the animal does not have direct contact with it, and you don't have this cord actually running into the enclosure as you do with a heat rock. Heat rocks can get cracked and damaged more easily. When pooped on, the ammonia and urates can seems into the electrical cord parts and cause issues. Its one more way for a snake or lizard to try and escape out of the cage. And IMHO, any hazardous issues aside, its an entirely obsolete product for any basking reptile. If you have a basking lamp, simply placing a REAL rock or stone under the lamp will achieve a more natural sun-worshiping spot without all the dangers of heat rocks.

I could also go into the mechanics of how it messes up the role of the parietal "third eye" that many basking lizards have on the top of their head.

Status
Not open for further replies.