Coil Bulbs With research study

Status
Not open for further replies.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have a 6.5 m and a few different types of light so I could Record the readings that I get. but I'm not all that experience so would anybody care?

Mavrik

I would love to see an in-depth and more recent study on these bulbs. Even on a number of different species of animal, not just tortoises. I've used both coils and bars for my critters (have leopard geckos and bearded dragons too). I've never really noticed any issue or difference in any of my critters -- it was just a monetary and personal decision that I've ended up using the Zoo-Med bulbs that are all-in-one basking and UVB bulbs.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
I would love to see an in-depth and more recent study on these bulbs. Even on a number of different species of animal, not just tortoises. I've used both coils and bars for my critters (have leopard geckos and bearded dragons too). I've never really noticed any issue or difference in any of my critters -- it was just a monetary and personal decision that I've ended up using the Zoo-Med bulbs that are all-in-one basking and UVB bulbs.

With all complaints and rumors about these bulbs being dangerous to pets why have the manufacturers not plastered a defense of their product all over the www ?

Trust me, the studies have been done and they are under lock and key or in a landfill somewhere.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'll give you an indepth study, I had 3 Sulcata yearlings, one was completely blinded, one had serious eye damage, and I got the third adopted out before we could see any permanent damage. That was MY personal experience. I don't need a f'ing study and this subject has been beat to death. Let it damn die, figure out how to feed them correctly and care for them correctly and use a Powersun 100 or 150 watt. There won't be a solution to the problem until the manufacturers admit there was a wrong. Now lets move on to another popular problem....pyramiding, or collecting wild box turtles. Anything but the same old crap. Oh wait....that IS the same old crap

M

Maggie Cummings

And still a very valid, useful topic.....;)

No it's not. It's been beat to death, then when I say I had a Sulcata yearling blinded by one, I get all kinds of PM's questioning as to whether it's my fault or not. Did I turn the light off at night? Did they have another source of heat? The questions go on and on.....so here is my confession.....I DID blind that sulcata baby on purpose, just because I wanted to. And that my friends is the end of the spiral bulb topic for me and I will try and put a stop to it everytime some new member has to bring it up again.
This is another one of those revived old threads.

So close it, it's 2 years old, almost 3.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Maggie,
I also do not recommend anyone use them at all.
There must be two dozen posts where I've warned a new member about the possibility of harm and most of them also decided that any risk is too much. Since other, purely safe options are available.
There is a risk and it's too large for me.
I thought you knew where I stood.
We're on the same side here.

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie,
I also do not recommend anyone use them at all.
There must be two dozen posts where I've warned a new member about the possibility of harm and most of them also decided that any risk is too much. Since other, purely safe options are available.
There is a risk and it's too large for me.
I thought you knew where I stood.
We're on the same side here.

Sorry, really, sincerely. I'm having a hard time in my life right now and taking it out on everyone......I apologize.

TheSulcata

This is from 2006-2007.

No matter what any study says, either pro or con, no one can erase what so many of have seen first hand. There is NO doubt in my mind that some of these bulbs cause problems some of the time. I'd love to see a study demonstrating specifically what causes the issue and why it is so random, but absent that, there is still definitely a problem. Even now in 2014.
Yeah, for mine they caused minor eye issues. I was luckily able to take them away in time

Status
Not open for further replies.