Coil Bulbs, and the other Coil Bulbs

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
So, are there two types of coil bulbs, or only one?
This one, of course-
images

-which has the little pointed tip that 'causes' most of the damage done to torts eyes (or so I think)
And this kind-
images

-which instead has three separate sides, and no pointed tip.
Do they do the same thing? Just thinking about this, and they look very different, but they could both be 'considered' coil bulbs?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I thought so too... but then I got confused, because technically, it's not coiled (aka, a circular structure or shape) it's long, and it doesn't have a point. So now my over thinking quality has gotten me confused!:confused::)

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
-which has the little pointed tip that 'causes' most of the damage done to torts eyes (or so I think)
That's not how this works at all. It's the emission of the lamp that could cause damage, not its shape. And the shape doesn't really influence the emission spectrum. While there might be more "coil" lamps with a bad emission spectrum, correlation does not equal causation.

As for your question, yes, people here call both types "coil" lamps, even though one doesn't actually look like a coil. That's why you should refer to those lamps by their proper name: compact fluorescent lamps, CFL for short. They do pretty much the same thing as the linear tube fluorescent lamps (except not flicker as much). The linear tubes can potentially damage tortoise eyes as well, we've been over this.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
That's not how this works at all. It's the emission of the lamp that could cause damage, not its shape. And the shape doesn't really influence the emission spectrum. While there might be more "coil" lamps with a bad emission spectrum, correlation does not equal causation.

As for your question, yes, people here call both types "coil" lamps, even though one doesn't actually look like a coil. That's why you should refer to those lamps by their proper name: compact fluorescent lamps, CFL for short. They do pretty much the same thing as the linear tube fluorescent lamps (except not flicker as much). The linear tubes can potentially damage tortoise eyes as well, we've been over this.
Oh, okay :)
I understand about coil bulbs, but I way overthoguht this about the shapes!
Tanks :D