Cocos habitat and life updates

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Coco is all set!

Decided to get this one instead!! I found it for 6 bucks at a exotic animal place near my house! ??

They have a Sulca waling around the store ??

“2 actually”

I didn’t see them myself but when people walk in they were loving it!

I think she was hiding on me on purpose! ??

I ever get another one I’ll consider getting a sulca! ???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You don't have to wait for 80's. Mid s60s is usually fine if its dry, sunny and not windy. Check the ground temp and carapace temp regularly with an infrared temp gun and watch what the tortoise does. If its too cool, it will just go hunker down in a hidden corner somewhere, so no point in having it outside. When temps are in the 80s, the tortoises tend to want to hide because its too hot to sit in the sun mid day. "Access" to sun is what you want to offer. They don't need to go sit in the full sun completely exposed the whole time. There should always be shade and cover. I use less shade and cover on cooler days, more on hotter days. They can over heat and die very quickly in full sun. They MUST be able to get out of the sun at all times.

And I always soak youngin's on the way back in after sunning sessions.
Ok, so it’s windy right now till like March in Vegas!

I’ll consider getting the infrared gun as soon as I have funds available..

Also should I get him a night light? To keep warm? I am doing my best to keep my room at good temp for him at night!

That’s why I am asking? So
I can also budget a second light holder or buy a double light bulb fixture!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I was told to think of his shell as an upturned bowl and feed that much to start with.
If he eats it all offer more.
Let the tortoise be your guide and feed everyday!!!
In my experience they will stop eating when they've had enough or eaten everything, but may go back looking for more later.
Ok so I should probably feed him less then! I rather him finish it so I can give him more if needed!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Good morning “from Vegas”
The timer I got at Home Depot isn’t working!
I watched a video to set it up but I don’t think it’s working like it supposed to!
The light fixture isn’t a click switch...it’s a little knob that you turn to turn on light!
Has anybody experienced this before??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Ha seems like coco is liking his new hide..he’s on top of it lol

I’ll consider getting him something to climbs down on the other side...

In other news however...I tried helping him go down his hide and the little man bit me ?? not on purpose...he was attacking my hand like if I was food for some reason!!

“I’m so use to getting bit by reptiles” it doesn’t scare me I just thought it was funny!

Anyways medication have been ordered..just waiting on approval!!

Attachments

• 82729794-4030-40E9-8853-82604C436D4D.jpeg
    82729794-4030-40E9-8853-82604C436D4D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
This thing is here!! ??

Now I can check his overall temperatures!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I am very pleased to announce coco is showing a lot of improvement juts by soaking him in water longer!
his appetite has increased and he’s loving his dandelion greens more than anything!
I sprinkled some calcium with D3 and gave him pieces of hibiscus flower again since I caught him eating it yesterday!
His swelling of eyes is actually going down some..I’ll be keeping an eye on him...still not sure if the drops I got are sufficient or not but...hey...progress is progress! ☺️☺️
Don’t mind the little dryness! I haven’t wet his enclosure yet!! Waiting on him to finish his feast! ☺️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I am very pleased to announce coco is showing a lot of improvement juts by soaking him in water longer!
his appetite has increased and he’s loving his dandelion greens more than anything!
I sprinkled some calcium with D3 and gave him pieces of hibiscus flower again since I caught him eating it yesterday!
His swelling of eyes is actually going down some..I’ll be keeping an eye on him...still not sure if the drops I got are sufficient or not but...hey...progress is progress! ☺☺
Don’t mind the little dryness! I haven’t wet his enclosure yet!! Waiting on him to finish his feast! ☺ He has also been pooping every morning now once his new water is in...so definitely whatever this is, it’s working!! ☺️☺️

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Interesting...that’s the first haha

I guess because the whole idea is for him to dig himself in!!

Hey @Tom do you recommend me having two different ones or just one? He has this green one that he’s been going in and out from but it’s not darkened so...should I use Duct tape or is there a better method you recommend?
Just get a strong appropriate size cardboard box, cut a small door in it and sink it into the substrate a bit. He will love it and it can be easily replaced and it's cheap and it's dark and it's safe. Just not pretty.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Just get a strong appropriate size cardboard box, cut a small door in it and sink it into the substrate a bit. He will love it and it can be easily replaced and it's cheap and it's dark and it's safe. Just not pretty.
I be out for a look out for one ??
There’s probably places I can find it for free!! ?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Tho he does like the one he has, but two won’t hurt at all! He’ll need a bigger enclosure at this rate but we’ll see!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Also I have the temperature gun! ??
question? his color side is between 74-76 degrees F
on his warmer side it’s around 88-93! He stays mostly in the warmer side under light!
His hide is at 84 F!
his eyes went down when I put the drops in and now they are where they first started again ? so I’m trying to put the finger in it...can it be the light??
is this not warm enough or is it about right?
it doesn’t go up to 100 that much..so that’s why I’m asking!!
Getting the 12 back is in the works from Home Depot..I should be hopefully getting it this wee

Happytort27

CA
Also, Should be considered of little a couple little flys flying around? ??
You mean like gnats or fruit flies? They’re probably just eating some left over food in the enclosure. One or two won’t harm him. If it really bothers you or Coco, I’m sure some people on the forum can help you out. I’ve heard of placing sticky pads on the side of the enclosure walls to trap the flies, but I’m not really sure.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You mean like gnats or fruit flies? They’re probably just eating some left over food in the enclosure. One or two won’t harm him. If it really bothers you or Coco, I’m sure some people on the forum can help you out. I’ve heard of placing sticky pads on the side of the enclosure walls to trap the flies, but I’m not really sure.
Thank you ?

let’s see what others say!!
@Tom

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Ok can someone please explain something to me?
Brunation VS Hibernation

What’s the difference?
someone on the desert tortoise group suggested to brunate coco unless he’s not stable enough then don’t!!
Aren’t mammals the ones who supposed to hibernate not reptiles??

Any clarification is welcomed!!!??