Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom
I read through it!
So it’s my understanding since I don’t have a UV light...once it’s in the 80s again I can take coco out for some sun for a lithe bit “with shade access” correct?
You don't have to wait for 80's. Mid s60s is usually fine if its dry, sunny and not windy. Check the ground temp and carapace temp regularly with an infrared temp gun and watch what the tortoise does. If its too cool, it will just go hunker down in a hidden corner somewhere, so no point in having it outside. When temps are in the 80s, the tortoises tend to want to hide because its too hot to sit in the sun mid day. "Access" to sun is what you want to offer. They don't need to go sit in the full sun completely exposed the whole time. There should always be shade and cover. I use less shade and cover on cooler days, more on hotter days. They can over heat and die very quickly in full sun. They MUST be able to get out of the sun at all times.

And I always soak youngin's on the way back in after sunning sessions.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He’s loving his greens!
I have cut down a bit!
The first two days I have him a bit more than usual! Now I’m only giving him pieces of leaves! Of only two kinds! He’s only leaving a little bit now!
Dont want to over feed him!
Do you guys feed baby’s everyday?
When do
You guys only give them food 5 days a week? Is that even a thing for older torts?

I was told to think of his shell as an upturned bowl and feed that much to start with.
If he eats it all offer more.
Let the tortoise be your guide and feed everyday!!!
In my experience they will stop eating when they've had enough or eaten everything, but may go back looking for more later.

Last edited:

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Are these for his new enclosure or just his hide?
Hides!
I put back his blue one without anything pieces of ripped shirt! I don’t think he likes it very much!
He was scratching a lot today when I turn off his light! He was roaming around his enclosure...too! I
May just need to buy him minerALL cause I noticed him wanting to eat his substrate again!! Tonight he’s not sleeping in his green thing or the big blue one! He’s outside them both! I wonder if it may be best to get him something more closed up for him now! I believe the temperature on that side is around 70!
Do any of you use a heating pad for their enclosure??

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hides!
I put back his blue one without anything pieces of ripped shirt! I don’t think he likes it very much!
He was scratching a lot today when I turn off his light! He was roaming around his enclosure...too! I
May just need to buy him minerALL cause I noticed him wanting to eat his substrate again!! Tonight he’s not sleeping in his green thing or the big blue one! He’s outside them both! I wonder if it may be best to get him something more closed up for him now! I believe the temperature on that side is around 70!
Do any of you use a heating pad for their enclosure??
Can you post some new photos of the changes you've made?
Heat pads aren't recommended especially if used on the bottom of enclosures and can be dangerous.
If he's eating the substrate are you feeding your tort enough?

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Can you post some new photos of the changes you've made?
Heat pads aren't recommended especially if used on the bottom of enclosures and can be dangerous.
If he's eating the substrate are you feeding your tort enough?
Yes, he leaves food every time I feed him!
I didn’t want to give him more vitamins since I already gave him like twice this week! What is recommended here? Ima get him minerALL, but sure if this is good for him since it’s for insect eating animals lol

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I wetted his substrate this morning!

This is the blue thing I was talking about!!

Coco is outside!

Don’t find him not having his water bowl or food! I’m adding his clay saucers in for that now and his little green thing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Calling all vets on this Forum!

Can you tell me if I should be worried about his shell dryness? Or is there something I can put on my DT? Also his noise?? Is this normal? ?? I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

nicoleann2214

NY

Can you tell me if I should be worried about his shell dryness? Or is there something I can put on my DT? Also his noise?? Is this normal? ?? I would really appreciate it!
A closed chamber works best for most tortoises this helps hold in humidity and helps the tortoise all around. You should soak everyday for 30 min to increase hydration.

nicoleann2214

NY

What noise are you talking about? @Tom

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
A closed chamber works best for most tortoises this helps hold in humidity and helps the tortoise all around. You should soak everyday for 30 min to increase hydration.
I been soaking him..not sure if it’s 30 minutes but I do replace the water when he’s soaking once or twice every 5 minutes!!

I asked @Tom if I should get him a closed chamber that was recommended me by someone but he said what he has is better because he’s little!!

nicoleann2214

NY
That’s what I thought too!!

I didn’t notice it till recently this week!
When I had my tortoise when I first got her, her nostrils looked like this.(photo) And then once I increased the humidity they looked better, but she also had a RI.

Attachments

• 538D170D-3B7D-473A-BD6F-DD089BFA807D.jpeg
    538D170D-3B7D-473A-BD6F-DD089BFA807D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
When I had my tortoise when I first got her, her nostrils looked like this.(photo) And then once I increased the humidity they looked better, but she also had a RI.
The humidity in cocos enclosure is definitely higher than 30-40!

Where he’s at now it’s more like 60!

So I don’t know! He’s sleeping right now!

He’s under the light!

On the side!

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
The temperature where he is now is also between 76-80!

It was actually higher when he had his other stone inside his enclosure but I took it out!!

Should I increase temperature?