Coconut Substrate

AdamK

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
I used coconut fiber substrate for my baby Hermann’s Tortoise ? but it seems super fine and it looks like it may get in his eyes! I sprayed the substrate with water to increase the humidity and it seems sticky and makes the baby all dirty. It’s only on one side of the enclosure, the other half is more course coconut bark. Is the coconut fiber substrate really safe even though it seems too fine? If he burrows in the substrate, how is he going to breath? I may be just worrying too much... Thank you in advance for everybody’s advice.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
I used coconut fiber substrate for my baby Hermann’s Tortoise ? but it seems super fine and it looks like it may get in his eyes! I sprayed the substrate with water to increase the humidity and it seems sticky and makes the baby all dirty. It’s only on one side of the enclosure, the other half is more course coconut bark. Is the coconut fiber substrate really safe even though it seems too fine? If he burrows in the substrate, how is he going to breath? I may be just worrying too much... Thank you in advance for everybody’s advice.
It’s safe to use as a substrate, if you feel it’s causing any disturbance to your tortoise you should change it.
Orchid bark should work.