coconut oil.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There are tons of threads on this here in the Forum - even refs to some long term “studies”. Most agree that some cold compressed natural coconut oil applied occasionally doesn’t hurt or harm. Does it do any real good over time? Hard to say.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I just got the most natural cold pressed stuff I could find. I found it at my local sprouts farmers market. Not sure if you have those though...

nicoleann2214

NY
I just got the most natural cold pressed stuff I could find. I found it at my local sprouts farmers market. Not sure if you have those though...
Nope I don’t :/ I either wanna get some at the local super market if I could? Or order it.

nicoleann2214

NY
There are tons of threads on this here in the Forum - even refs to some long term “studies”. Most agree that some cold compressed natural coconut oil applied occasionally doesn’t hurt or harm. Does it do any real good over time? Hard to say.
Do you use it? Or know of a brand I could use.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I love the FB groups' hysteria on this subject...

1) it'll suffocate the Tortoise because they breathe through their shell

2) It'll burn them because it magnifies the heat

3) UV can't penetrate the oil and they'll die

4) Ants will be attracted to the oil and feast on your tortoise

5) Tortoises don't use oil in the wild, so it's bad

J

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I've been using coconut oil on my 2 yr old Burmese Star. I too wondered if I should, if it could cause harm, etc.

Then I read this, written by a member whose opinions I trust. I began using the oil, and apply it weekly. I put it on with my finger, let Sulafat walk around for 10-15 minutes, then give him a good rub with a towel, and back into his enclosure.