Coconut Oil

glitch4200

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW suburbs of Chicago
Hi everyone, so after reading a couple threads about conditioners for the shell of our tortoises I might have a good debatable topic here. I decided to do a little research about cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. After carefully considering my sources. I have concluded the following: this oil is antibacterial, anti fungal, anti viral, anti inflammatory, unique fatty acids that penatrate to the micro level quickly giving efficient moisture , a natural sunscreen spf 10 (which blocks 90 percent uvb), it doesn't allow substrate to stick, it doesn't mess with thermoregulation as far as I can tell after multiple days of temp taking after first application, and lastly it makes one hell of a shine.
I am sure some of you see a particular issue of this being a natural sunscreen that blocks 90 percent of the thing our tortoises need the most of for proper bone development and overall health. But my question is does my little guy get more benefit from a weekly application of extra virgin coconut oil then not applying it?
My goal is longevity he is indoor captive and will be for the foreseeable future, mvb bulbs literally suck the moisture right out of our tortoises shells (got that info from a thread here) and being exposed to a mvb constantly day in and day out constantly sucking that moisture out isn't the best. Is there a way as tortoise keepers who can't bring outside at all times to help prevent some of that moisture loss? is it possible to give them some protection from the constant baking lights? I understand the importance of humidity and lighting needed for optimal health but is it also doing them a disservice by not giving them some sort of protection from the baking lights? Allowing their shells to stay moisturized on a table top setting without plucking the moisture from deep within? Of course moderation is absolute. Too much application and you block the good out. I am very curious to all your opinions.

So I decided to give it a try about a week ago, my Russian is in perfect health after getting a complete checkup with x-rays. So his shell has a small dent (possibly from shipping) but otherwise looks pretty smooth. After I bathed him, I applied a thin coat of extra virgin coconut oil, pretty instantaneously I saw a magnificent shine. I wanted to see how much would initially get absorbed which was quite a bit.. I let it sit for about a minute before I wiped it off with a super extra soft micro fiber cloth. He enjoyed every second of the massage too.. (went to school for massage therapy)even tortoises appreciate a good massage haha. 5 days later and it still has that healthy shine just not as vibrant as when first applied. This is very debatable as I know a lot of you have raised many many clutches of perfectly healthy tortoises without any topical oils, and are set in your opinions so please let's hear it ;) and if am wrong in any of my information please correct me. Pictures provided

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I've actually used coconut oil (same kind as yours) to condition my torts' shells. I don't do it often.. just every once in a while when I wanna give an overall check up after soaks. From what I've read, the UV blocking issue doesn't affect anything as long as you apply the oil to just the shell; UVB intake is through the skin and not the shell.

I've used these shell conditioning times to get my torts used to me, check 'em out, and make 'em "pretty". Again, it's not very often at all and I haven't seen any problems so far.

As for combating the shell from dessicating, I have plenty of moist areas that they hide in (plants, moss) after they bask.

Magilla504

I find that your coconut oil idea is interesting. You have really put a lot if thought into it. My thinking though is that these animals do not apply anything in the wild to shine up or "protect" their shell. While I do love for my torts to look healthy and great, is the shiny shell necessary? Would the look be better for me or the tortoise? I do wonder over a long period of time how it may affect he growth of the shell(good or bad). I will definately be interested to follow if you continue to experiment. It will be interesting to see what our experienced senior members have to say

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Absolutely but you refer to the "wild" where they allow nature to provide for all that is needed to survive but he is my awesome little buddy and always indoors so he is taken out of that natural element at which point is there something that we as owners can do to help ease the moisture that Is expelled from deepnwithin the shell and skin from these artificial lamps that so many of us are tied down to for whatever reason. We know that humidity and light are essential to optimal care but these lamps bake are little guys. So something as natural and beneficial as cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil could it be applied to basic husbandry for indoor kept tortoises like a Russian to help elevate some of the harm these unnatural setups provide and raise them with the iconic smooth shelled long lived tortoise? I don't know about you guys but I am horrible with animal deaths and I want my little guy to live as long as I do. But Illinois and my location doesn't provide the best outdoor habitat option so for me I am trying to think critically to improve his micro health to give him the best chance for long term happiness and survival. And one of the biggest issue I see after doing the resesrch on these light is how much moisture is taken from the mvb. The shell looking shiny is the last thing I am thinking of here. It's just a bonus. Could something organic like this help this issue?

Last edited:

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Absolutely but you refer to the "wild" where they allow nature to provide for all that is needed to survive but he is my awesome little buddy and always indoors so he is taken out of that natural element at which point is there something that we as owners can do to help ease the moisture that Is expelled from deepnwithin the shell and skin from these artificial lamps that so many of us are tied down to for whatever reason. We know that humidity and light are essential to optimal care but these lamps bake are little guys. So something as natural and beneficial as cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil could it be applied to basic husbandry for indoor kept tortoises like a Russian to help elevate some of the harm these unnatural setups provide and raise them with the iconic smooth shelled long lived tortoise? I don't know about you guys but I am horrible with animal deaths and I want my little guy to live as long as I do. But Illinois and my location doesn't provide the best outdoor habitat option so for me I am trying to think critically to improve his micro health to give him the best chance for long term happiness and survival. And one of the biggest issue I see after doing the resesrch on these light is how much moisture is taken from the mvb. The shell looking shiny is the last thing I am thinking of here. It's just a bonus. Could something organic like this help this issue?

Very well put. I look forward to getting updates on your results :)

puffy137

Very interesting. As my herd live outdoors in a dusty environment it would not be practical for them , but I might think of doing it for cosmetic purposes when they need their photos taken. As it is they only look their best after a shower:)

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
This is what I am talking about

Attachments

• 1413584558154.jpg
    1413584558154.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 1413584590077.jpg
    1413584590077.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 397

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Yes refined means it was heat treated since it claims being organic so most likely their shouldn't be any other chemicals added. But you lose some of the amino acids and potency of the anti- properties of the oil .I went to massage school and you never ever buy refined massage oils the process destroys so many of the natural benifits of the oil. And decreases potency exponentially. I Always buy cold pressed oils.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I specialized in rain drop therapy that comprises 7 essential cold pressed oils used in a specific order to promote a certain sequence at the micro level .