Coconut Oil

glitch4200

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW suburbs of Chicago
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/15724344

Here is a link a double blind study to gauge the effectiveness in humans using extra virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer . Which they concluded that it indeed worked as one quite well. Since humans have keratin present in there skin , it should serve as at lest some evidence that application has benefit in the shell of a tortoise since there shell Is mostly keratin.

Last edited:

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
These benefits of oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and their respective properties, such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, antibacterial and soothing qualities. Saturated fatty acids: Most of them are medium chain triglycerides, which are supposed to assimilate well in the body’s systems. Lauric acid is the chief contributor, representing more than forty percent of the total, followed by capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid and palmitic.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
This could be a huge help to tortoises that do get shell rot and help fighting it . or just preventing fungus and bacterial possibilities while being captive indoors either way . I think this is really something to consider and I will post more supporting information soon

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
the first pictures are first day application and second thread is today 5 days after initial application, my goal is to rid of that little divet in his shell.
I think you have a beautiful tortoise, great looking shell. And I do like the idea of a very occasional application of the coconut oil. But one of your statements did bother me a little bit, you said that you wanted to try to get rid of the little Divet in the shell. this seems a little overboard to me, if you are trying so hard to keep your tortoise completely smooth you are setting yourself up for failure.they can get little dings and divots in their shells just from crawling under a rock or something else and their enclosure.it is natural, and does not hurt the tortoise at all. And it gives them a little character and does not show that you are taking poor care of your tortoise in anyway.we all have little scars that we have just gotten from living, and so do our pets.that's just my opinion.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Thank you i respect your opinion its much appreciated. i feel i may have come off the wrong way with that statement, i apologize. I am interested in seeing if what i read was actually even possible with this stuff, i ABSOLUTLY LOVE his imperfections and i am proud of every little bit of him. I dont want to change a thing execpt making sure he is at optimal health and happiness, I was reading some pretty cool stuff about coconut oil like cellular regeneration and i was wondering if occasional but consistent application can actually do that.. Hence when i saw his cute little divet, i wondered if it is probable, knowing that type of information in my opinion is really cool and it could possibly save a tortoises life on here which would be the best gift for me.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
I think you have a beautiful tortoise, great looking shell. And I do like the idea of a very occasional application of the coconut oil. But one of your statements did bother me a little bit, you said that you wanted to try to get rid of the little Divet in the shell. this seems a little overboard to me, if you are trying so hard to keep your tortoise completely smooth you are setting yourself up for failure.they can get little dings and divots in their shells just from crawling under a rock or something else and their enclosure.it is natural, and does not hurt the tortoise at all. And it gives them a little character and does not show that you are taking poor care of your tortoise in anyway.we all have little scars that we have just gotten from living, and so do our pets.that's just my opinion.

Thank you :) i highly respect everyone opinion on here. It's much appreciated. I feel i may have come off wrong with that comment and would like to clarify myself. First I LOVE MY LITTLE TORTOISES IMPERFECTIONS it makes him unique and fantastic. I dont want to change anything about his characteristics, but i was wondering if its possible to really make the shell benefit from occasional but consistent application. i was reading something really cool on cellular regeneration with extra virgin coconut oil. Hence, i thought well what if it did help imperfections or did regnerate cells nice and evenly. I am more concerned with the fact of it actually working , and knowing that something organic and pure like this can possibily save a tortoises life without any toxic side effect. That to me is the best gift i can have with this idea. If i can improve the life of other tortoises in this forum who are also indoor bound with a simple solution such as extra virgin coconut oil wouldn't you want to know that as well ? i sure doo.. =) but i defintely see why that would bother you, it bothers me. i am not a god , i am a caretaker trying innovate for my little guy.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you :) i highly respect everyone opinion on here. It's much appreciated. I feel i may have come off wrong with that comment and would like to clarify myself. First I LOVE MY LITTLE TORTOISES IMPERFECTIONS it makes him unique and fantastic. I dont want to change anything about his characteristics, but i was wondering if its possible to really make the shell benefit from occasional but consistent application. i was reading something really cool on cellular regeneration with extra virgin coconut oil. Hence, i thought well what if it did help imperfections or did regnerate cells nice and evenly. I am more concerned with the fact of it actually working , and knowing that something organic and pure like this can possibily save a tortoises life without any toxic side effect. That to me is the best gift i can have with this idea. If i can improve the life of other tortoises in this forum who are also indoor bound with a simple solution such as extra virgin coconut oil wouldn't you want to know that as well ? i sure doo.. =) but i defintely see why that would bother you, it bothers me. i am not a god , i am a caretaker trying innovate for my little guy.
Okay, I understand more what you were meaning. It's just that sometimes people get so obsessed about the smoothness and perfection of a tortoise shell and forget about the overall animal. Kind a like the rest of our society and is so much into perfect appearance. I will probably try some of it with my tortoise and see how it goes. She had a very rough life before she got to me and her shell shows it. but even if it doesn't work I will love her anyway :)

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Okay, I understand more what you were meaning. It's just that sometimes people get so obsessed about the smoothness and perfection of a tortoise shell and forget about the overall animal. Kind a like the rest of our society and is so much into perfect appearance. I will probably try some of it with my tortoise and see how it goes. She had a very rough life before she got to me and her shell shows it. but even if it doesn't work I will love her anyway :)

Oh undoubtedly , I will love him no matter what! He is my best friend. My little pal. Society disgusts me when it comes to their views on beauty and how it should be. Beauty isn't skin deep. Beauty encompasses the body , soul and spirit. Not just the body. Many many people forget that are imperfections are what make us perfect. My goal is to innovate. To find a way to better his life. To make him the happiest little guy I can possibly make him. After reading so much we really are in the period of time of learning the best ways to take care of our tortoises. This is the 21st century , I think we are overdue on some innovation. And what if it does work? What if coconut oil after consistent application gives the tortoises held inside that extra boost of vitality and health they needed to combat an unnatural environment . Wouldnt that be awesome to know? Wouldn't that be benificial to everyone on here who has an indoor captive tortoise? I apologize for my excitement and out there thoughts. I smoke entirely to much weed haha. But as technology gets better and are understanding of medicine gets better there should be ways to increase there lifespan to there optimal ages. And I put my money on essential therapeutic grade cold pressed oils such as extra virgin coconut oil. Am I wrong for this? Am I out of my scope of practice?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I don't know what your scope of practice is. But I think we all want to take better care of our tortoises. Ideas and practices have changed over the years. I've only had my tortoise for two years so I don't know much personally about that, just what I read on here. But I know as far as taking care of my dog for instantsthings have changed in the last 20 years. And although my first dog lived to be 17 years old I did things with her diet etc. that I would never think about doing out with my other dog.but as people gain more knowledge than practices change. I would say keep good notes of what you were doing, be open to other ideas also, and see how it works.there are many people on this forum who have had tortoises for decades, some of them may have some views on this also.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
And I hope to hear many other opinions , I am open to everything. I want people who have way more experiance than me to educate me on the stuff I am possibly getting wrong .

Alaskamike

South Florida
This is interesting. I've used organic cold pressed coconut oil as a skin softener / lotion for years , I also used it on my hair ( when I had hair lol)
I've thought of using it on tort shells, but hadn't tried it yet. The chemical info you shared is good. I would use coconut oil before the shell shine products
I think I may try this once a week.
Here in So Florida, during the rainy season it can be 80-95% humidity everyday. We do have to be mindful of fungus and shell rot. My sully's underground hide stays at 95-99% humidity. Even when it's 50% outside.
Thanks

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
This is interesting. I've used organic cold pressed coconut oil as a skin softener / lotion for years , I also used it on my hair ( when I had hair lol)
I've thought of using it on tort shells, but hadn't tried it yet. The chemical info you shared is good. I would use coconut oil before the shell shine products
I think I may try this once a week.
Here in So Florida, during the rainy season it can be 80-95% humidity everyday. We do have to be mindful of fungus and shell rot. My sully's underground hide stays at 95-99% humidity. Even when it's 50% outside.
Thanks

No, thank you. :) Please if you a spare second if you could record your observations , time, location and a picture associated with the application of the oil . That would contribute to the legitimacy of extra virgin coconut oil for tortoise owners. I want information to come from others then just me , it would be very interesting to compare observation and data and formulate some hypothesis to the legitimate use of this oil for our beloved tortoises. The more that people feel this could actually be something critically new to our tortoises health , the better the data and better the conclusion .. and with a solid foundation of data comes an increase of overall health across the board. I hope others will be willing to participate! I am doing my second consistent application today!

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Week 1: One teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil unrefined, cold pressed. Applied after bath, 1x a week.
Observed effects: about 2/3 of the teaspoon is absorbed after initial application right away. Very little was wiped off from the cloth. Upon closer examination with a magnifying glass I see very wet look to the keratin. Colors are magnified, the look of being hydrated (my opinion) , little ridges look to have absorbed well. One thing I do note is a small increase in thermo shell temperature in relation to surround temperature, but body temp seems to be even throughout each of the limbs at 90.3 F and top shell at 95.0 F whereas right and left side 94.0 F, back shell 92.0 F. He is very alert, no reaction from application, not hiding, normal stool. End week 1 data.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Week 2: 10.20.14 one teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil unrefined , cold pressed. Applied after bath 1x a week.
Observed effects: used entire teaspoon this time. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Wiped off excess which again was very little. I applied it to a couple dry areas on the inside hands and elbow area as well. Thermo regulation : Top of shell: 95.6 F back of shell 92.4 F sides of shell 93.2 F, front arms : 92.7 F back legs (was in shaded part) 88.5 F. He is still very alert, still no reaction from application. Looking through magnifying glass I see wet ridges, looks very moisturized. Normal stool, and calcium deposits , looks hydrated. Regular basking. End week 2 data

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Very much so luckly my little guy was in pretty good shape when I got him .. but if anyone has a tortoise they would be willing to try this .. honestly if it's damaged or was not properly cared for 2x times a week would be ideal would be a great indication of any type of healing properties to a weathered shell. My tortoise isn't the best test subject in this matter

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My tortoise probably would be but I cannot see well enough to give any subjective or objective data.