Coco fiber substrate

peanut20

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
All-

I purchased this coco fiber from Amazon from EnRoot Products ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M98KOP3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)
It doesn't actually expand to 10quarts, more like 7-8, but it's a convenient design.

I was mixing it up with fir bark and noticed small clear glass/plastic chips mixed in the fiber. There's too many pick out completely, so I'm thinking of using it for my plants instead.

Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone considering this product for your enclosures.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
All-

I purchased this coco fiber from Amazon from EnRoot Products ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M98KOP3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)
It doesn't actually expand to 10quarts, more like 7-8, but it's a convenient design.

I was mixing it up with fir bark and noticed small clear glass/plastic chips mixed in the fiber. There's too many pick out completely, so I'm thinking of using it for my plants instead.

Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone considering this product for your enclosures.
Could you take a close up picture of the plastic? If it’s big enough to photograph

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not sure if you can see from these pictures. They appear to be plastic or glass chips.
Can you collect few of the pieces and put hem in a bottle cap with some water? I have a hunch...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh do you think it'll melt away? I just tossed the pieces, but let me collect some more-
No. I think they will swell up. Water crystals. This is one of the many additives they put into soils to help the plants stay watered longer. If I'm wrong, then it will just be some plastic debris that managed to get into the mix sometime in the packaging process.

peanut20

Pennsylvania
Late response, but I tried the test and didn't see it swell up. I guess it's plastic debris. Shame that it was mixed in both orders I made. There's too much of it to pick out.