Coco coir string stuck halfway out

LeahK

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley CA
Hello!

So, I got my 3.5 month old Hermann's on Monday, and monday and tuesday he pooped normally. Wednesday, I noticed he had poop stuck to his butt, so I soaked him and gave him about 2 hours worth of warm soaks, and cleaned the poop off with a q-tip. But, I noticed he had a string of what I assume is coco coir sticking out. I tugged on it gently, but it didn't come out, so I got some aloe to feed him.

Thursday he still didn't poop, and I gave him more long soaks. This morning, I soaked him again, and he still didn't poop. I tried gently tugging on the string, but it still didn't come out. So now I have a few questions about the best way to approach this. He is still eating and behaving normally.

Can it cause impaction?
How hard should I tug on the string? I was very gentle, but I am not sure how much resistance it should have.
When should I take him to the vet? If I bring him in, what can the vet do?

I assume it's coco coir string because it looks like it. It could also be some plant fiber, but it is definitely not hair or fiber from clothes etc. I am not sure how to deal with this and would like to get it out before it causes problems.

Thank you for the help :)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Never pull. It may be a piece of string or some other longer stuff (hair, forex). Pulling can damage the intestines.

Continue with soft foods...oputina cactus is very high fiber and water; cucumber; aloe.

As long as every other behavior is normal, continue nursing care. Soak up to four times daily...let him motor around a lot in the pan.

If he changes in any other way (activity level, appetite, appearance): to the vet. In the meantime, find one that is fully familiar with tortoise medicine (which is different from mammal medicine, different from other reptile medicine, and different from turtle medicine).

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Never pull. It may be a piece of string or some other longer stuff (hair, forex). Pulling can damage the intestines.

Continue with soft foods...oputina cactus is very high fiber and water; cucumber; aloe.

As long as every other behavior is normal, continue nursing care. Soak up to four times daily...let him motor around a lot in the pan.

If he changes in any other way (activity level, appetite, appearance): to the vet. In the meantime, find one that is fully familiar with tortoise medicine (which is different from mammal medicine, different from other reptile medicine, and different from turtle medicine).
Great, thank you for the information. I am glad now I was gentle, but I will stop trying to pull it out. I will go get more watery foods and only feed those to him until it passes.

In the past, I just used an "exotics" vet, but since it could be a big deal, I will find a real tortoise vet.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Hasn't been updated in a while, but you can look & call through this list:

TaylorTortoise

Abington

what is forex?

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Okay well I am glad I didn't tug anything, he's trying to expel it now and it's LONG

His shell is 2 inches and he has an inch and a half long log coming out of him! Still attached! I am going to try and help a little but GOD

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Unfortunately, I am in NorCal! So pretty far away, unless he has a vet up here!
Hello LeahK, I have Parrots in addition to Tort's, I started going to Bay Area Bird & Exotics, in SF on Teraval in the Sunset district. I spoke to her (Dr. Leila Marcucci) about tort care, and she said YES this is one of her specialties. BTW they DO NOT treat dog's or cats. Only birds & exotics. You might give them a call. If not for now, but for later problems. The Vivarium was not much help when I asked about who they use. There used to be a very experienced Tort Dr. @ Berkeley Dog & Cat, But he no longer practices....
I live in El Sobrante, So, I'm local. If there is any thing I can do to help, please let me know...

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Hello LeahK, I have Parrots in addition to Tort's, I started going to Bay Area Bird & Exotics, in SF on Teraval in the Sunset district. I spoke to her (Dr. Leila Marcucci) about tort care, and she said YES this is one of her specialties. BTW they DO NOT treat dog's or cats. Only birds & exotics. You might give them a call. If not for now, but for later problems. The Vivarium was not much help when I asked about who they use. There used to be a very experienced Tort Dr. @ Berkeley Dog & Cat, But he no longer practices....
I live in El Sobrante, So, I'm local. If there is any thing I can do to help, please let me know...
Thank you! This is really helpful, I’m going to save the information for the future. I appreciate it!
It’s a shame about the doctor at Berkeley dog and cat hospital, since it’s the closest to me :p