Coco Coir = Coco Peat ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Hi,

May I know if there is any different between coco coir and coco peat? I tried to search it online but can't find any definitive answers.

Want to use it to replace hay as the substrate.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hybrid said:
Hi,

May I know if there is any different between coco coir and coco peat? I tried to search it online but can't find any definitive answers.

Want to use it to replace hay as the substrate.

Hi. Just replying a bit late. Hope you found your answer, but if you haven't, here's what I found out about the different between coco coir and coco peat. It came to me by chance, when I bought my plants @ Ikea. Coco coir is a coarse/chunky coconut fibre and more common in pet supply stores, depending where you live. Coco peat is just fine, ground up coconut husk. It looks like peat moss, as it's very fine. I took some pictures for you...

This is coco peat that came with my Ikea plant. Btw, Ikea sells blocks of this stuff. ImageUploadedByTortForum1375540711.342329.jpg

This is coco coir that my friend gave me with the torts. ImageUploadedByTortForum1375540858.816349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375540992.278750.jpg

Having said that, that's what I understand about the 2 products. And there's a lot of variation in what different companies call each product. Coir can be a term for any coconut husk product--fine coir, coir chips, etc--but then other companies will make the distinction between them, depending on how coarse (coir) or fine (peat) it is.

Take care!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.