Cockroaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I.. have a fear of almost all bugs. I just flat out do not like them. The other night I saw a spider dash across the carpet and scared me so bad I was up on a chair since I had no idea what the heck it was :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Geo you must be quite the contradiction loves to muck in nature but hates bugs?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
GeoTerraTestudo said:
wrmitchell22 said:
Tom said:
{Scarface, Al Pacino voice} "Say hello to Archimandrita tesselata!"

LOL, doesn't really roll off the tongue very easily though does it ;)

Let's not talk about cockroaches and tongues in the same thread, okay? :p

Tom said:
GTT, we finally stumbled onto an area of ignorance for you. I was starting to doubt that would ever happen. (I mean this in a fun, friendly way. :D)

Yep, I'm quite perplexed. Do you guys think they're cute or handsome or something? Because to me, they just look creepy. As for that picture of your daughter with a bug on her, let me just say, you would never catch me doing that. My wife and I recently went on vacation, and my wife actually volunteered to let the tour guide put a whiptail scorpion on her cheek. They're harmless to people, and my wife was fine with it, but again, despite the fact that I love to muck about in nature, you would never catch me doing that.

My mom put a boa constrictor on me when I was 5 at a reptile show, lol! I still always volunteer to hold anything that any zoo or museum has :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dmmj said:
Geo you must be quite the contradiction loves to muck in nature but hates bugs?

Yeah, it is kind of a contradiction, isn't it? Well, I don't have a phobia of them, and when I find a spider in the house I usually leave it alone, since I realize it is probably doing me a favor by eating insects. Mosquitoes, however, are a bother and potentially dangerous, as are venomous bugs like tarantulas and scorpions. Bees and butterflies are kind of neat, but I'm still not fascinated by them the way I am by vertebrates. So I don't hate bugs, but I don't really like them, either.

Still, I guess it is kind of funny that to my mind, it's fun to play with fish, frogs, reptiles, birds, and mammals, but not bugs. Oh well. I guess contradictions are part of the human experience.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Can't think any creature that I've a phobia of, but my wife's terror of spiders and lizards, my daughter's fear of centipedes and my son's fear of high winds keeps things plenty exciting.

My only real fear is the IRS... :rolleyes:

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
dalano73 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

I guess they can be look at as pest...:D:D:p
I don't think common spray will work on them though. Remember the I.R.S has plans to collect taxes after a nuclear war, just like cockroaches they will survive

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalano73 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

Can they be looked upon as anything else? :tort:

dmmj said:
I don't think common spray will work on them though. Remember the I.R.S has plans to collect taxes after a nuclear war, just like cockroaches they will survive

Flame-thrower? :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Terry Allan Hall said:
dalano73 said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

dmmj said:

Flame throwers won't work on the IRS pests. They use the money we give them to buy flame proof suits. :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

dmmj said:

Flame throwers won't work on the IRS pests. They use the money we give them to buy flame proof suits. :)
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Yeah, the IRS is a very dangerous pest all right. Very tricky to get rid of. I think they can smell fear.

Alternative (admittedly messy) idea:

texas-chainsaw-massacre_28.preview.jpg

Naturally, it's a Texan solution... :p

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like we have gone a little off topic LOL back to the thread I am also afraid of dying but not death, it is hard sometimes for people to differentiate between the two.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have several fears, what can I say, I am just an old scaredy cat. I am afraid of snakes, but have worked on that, so now I am okay with ball pythons and also snakes handed to me. Just something to do with reaching into a box/tank and catching one that still bothers me. Still don't like to come uon them without warning outside.

I have a thing with roaches, but since I want to start trying to feed them to my tortoises, I need to work on that. :p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I had a horrible fear of snakes from the time I was really little until about five years ago. My grandma would freak out every time she saw a snake on TV and basicly brain washed my sister, dad, uncle and I to hate them. I used to have nightmares about them and would panic,scream and cry if I saw someone with one. I could not even go to pet stores. It was awful. Ten years ago I moved to a place that is full of snakes. I had to get over my fear. They were in my yard. I still don't like to see captive snakes, it is creepy to me but I enjoy seeing them in their natural habitat. I don't want a pet snake, but I feel that I have over come an unreasonable phobia that had haunted me for nearly 40 years. Roaches creep me out, and I have to say I am not fond of clowns. Another fear I have is being really poor. I was as a kid and the idea of not being able to pay my electric bill or having to sign my kids up for free lunch scares me. I know they don't humiliate kids anymore like they did when I was a kid but still.....

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
I can't think of anything that I'm scared of, much less any animals. I keep and breed roaches also, as well as tarantulas, scorpions and snakes (including venomous). I used to be scared of heights, but then one day I said "this is stupid, just get over it." and I did. Since then, I have had no issues with it.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hahaha before dogs I had my husband to do it all for me, but he's not the hugest of roach fans either, he just acts big and scary hahaha meanwhile he's a softy! The pugs go insane for any bugs, and I'm sure its not the healthiest for them to eat them, but rather they get some good ole prtein than me screaming and hiding!

Tom said:
I have an irrational fear of being alone in water, even a pool. I just won't do it. Yet I'm advance scuba certified and even love night dives. I'll be the SECOND person off the boat, just not the first.

I used to be squeamish of cockroaches when I was a kid, but through gradual desensitization, I FORCED myself to get over my irrational fear of a harmless insect. The species at my childhood home was Blatta orientalis. I now have a captive colony of them and feed them to my beardies, tarantulas and other insectivores. :)

Stazz, Aren't dogs just the best thing ever? My little Jack Russel takes care of pest ground squirrels and rabbits for me the same way. I just point and say "get 'em", the same way as you. Come to think of it, my Malinois and Dutch Shepards do the same thing with "pesky" humans. :) I LOVE dogs.

GTT, we finally stumbled onto an area of ignorance for you. I was starting to doubt that would ever happen. (I mean this in a fun, friendly way. :D)

John, you've ruined my perceptions. I always thought the "little Johnny" jokes were thinly veiled jabs at ME.

So Yvonne (BCS), I suppose that means you sending me a local roach pic for an ID is out of the question then, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.