Clyde may be trying to hibernate?

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
About 4 days ago my cats unplugged the timer so Clyde's lights didn't come on till about noon (for reference they normally come on at 7 a.m.). I still got Clyde up and did his normal soak at noon but since then he's been eating a lot less than normal. That same day I gave him some mazuri pellets at the prompting of a board member on an unrelated matter. He's had his normal variety of greens but seemed uninterested. Yesterday I offered Mazuri again and he ate that but seemed uninterested in his greens. He also hasn't been waking up like he used to. Each day I'm digging him out rather than him waiting for me at the front of his hide.

Should I continue to offer Mazuri since he will eat that (someone suggested twice a week so that's what I was doing) or should I just continue on greens and let him get back on his schedule?

Last edited:

Bee62

Germany
About 4 days ago my cats unplugged the timer so Clyde's lights didn't come on till about noon (for reference they normally come on at 7 a.m.). I still got Clyde up and did his normal soak at noon but since then he's been eating a lot less than normal. That same day I gave him some mazuri pellets at the prompting of a board member on an unrelated matter. He's had his normal variety of greens but seemed uninterested. Yesterday I offered Mazuri again and he ate that but seemed uninterested in his greens. He also hasn't been waking up like he used to. Each day I'm digging him out rather than him waiting for me at the front of his hide.

Should I continue to offer Mazuri since he will eat that (someone suggested twice a week so that's what I was doing) or should I just continue on greens and let him get back on his schedule?

Hi, I would mix some mazuri with his greens so he must eat both. Let him go back to the daily routine with mazuri and greens and earlier lights.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have been mixing then but he is actively eating just the Mazuri clumps like a turd rather than eating the leaf it is on. :rolleyes:

Bee62

Germany
I have been mixing then but he is actively eating just the Mazuri clumps like a turd rather than eating the leaf it is on. :rolleyes:
Hmm. that`s very funny. Some torts don`t want to eat any mazuri, only their greens.:) Have you tried to mix greens and mazuri with a blending machine ?

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have not gone that far yet. Should I use a blender or just keep mixing it on top. I'm wondering if he was missing some vitamin Mazuri has which is why he wants it so much

Bee62

Germany
I have not gone that far yet. Should I use a blender or just keep mixing it on top. I'm wondering if he was missing some vitamin Mazuri has which is why he wants it so much
I live in Germany where I can get no mazuri, so I am not experienced with this food. It is good that he eats it for sure but how much he can eat I don`t know. I am asking for help
@Tom Can you answer questions about mazuri ?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Mazuri is often referred to as tortoise crack. They love it, but can easily become addicted and not want anything else.
My opinion is to only offer it 2-3times a week. Even then I still chop greens up finely and mix it in together so that the tort can not just eat the mazuri.