Clueless on Humidity

mack_is_my_baby

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
My tortoise Mack, a Speke’s Hinge back Tortoise (who I just got a week ago), has a terrarium with a thermometer (which I’m actually replacing with a better one thanks to Tortoise Forum), a water bowl which I may also replace, a food bowl and a hide. It also has a heating pad and UV/heat lamp for a basking area.

His diet consists of kale, carrots, and occasionally squash or sweet potatoes. I give him calcium powder daily and another vitamin twice a week.

I don’t have anything for his humidity, and I don’t even know what to buy. I don’t know how much humidity he needs, or what to get to measure it. I really want him to be safe and healthy and I don’t want him for any other reason than for a friend whom I want to take good care of.

I’d love any advice on what to buy for him. I can buy something today I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.IMG_1511108278.138892.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Like Sulcatas, these look like African tortoises, originating and growing in high humid areas. If i were you id do a lot of research on how they live in the wild, when born, where born, local food, temps, etc.

Heres some quick info, which would lead me to think higher humidity levels would be appropriate.

Geographic Range
Speke's hinge-back tortoise is found in East Africa from Kenya south to Swaziland, next to Mozambique and Zululand. Its range extends westwards as far as the coast of Angola.

Habitat
K. spekii inhabits savannahs and dry bush with rocky areas. It tends to inhabit more wooded areas during the dry season, and to move out into the savannahs when the summer rains come.

Source is inaturalist.org