Closet enclosure!

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
This will be updated as things are bought built and put together. I will do my best to add prices of everything, time spent on it etc. (This is for a Russian Tortoise)

"The Plan"

The Base-
tmp4C3D.tmp_tcm138-670292.jpg

( width- 29 1/2" / Depth- 22 7/8" / Length- 93 1/8" )
Product page in case anyone is interested
$66.50 free shipping to store

(This will be lined with some plastic to prevent damage.)

The Lid-
Fitted "lid" with welded wire mesh (to keep the hunter of the house out [cat]) placed and glued between two thin pieces of wood (L shape to create a lip and fit snugly)
[home depot]
5.00 - for two pieces of thin wood from home depot (cut into 8 to match the sizes of bottom)
5.50 - wood glue
38.97 - 4 ft. x 50 ft. 14-gauge Galvanized Steel Welded Wire

The Extras-
5.57 - 24 in. Resin Window Box in Clay (for edible plants to be planted inside enclosure)
2.89 - 40lb top soil
5.00 - Large Terra cotta pot (for hide)
2.99 - Glass casserole dish (for water)
4.99 - River rocks (for base of water dish to create the proper level of water and help with traction)
5.99 - coco husk (to mix with soil for substrate)
3.00 - for 2 slate stones (1 for food and another under the lamp)

This is the base of the enclosure more will be added as its bought/built

Please note: I have not added lighting in here as I am still not 100% sure about what I will do about it. and this is the indoor enclosure only outdoors will be a lot different and will add that when the time comes.

This is only my planning stage so any advice, additions etc. are always welcome.
next month everything will be bought and put together, pictures added etc.

Let me know what you guys think!

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Looks cool to me. I would however waterproof the wood. You can either use pond liner or paint the enclosure with epoxy resin. Keep ups posted on te results !

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
is the epoxy resin non-toxic? how long would I have to wait for that to dry before allowing the tortoise in it?

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
It is non toxic once it is dry. Just do not use white epoxy, tortoises seem upsessed nibbling everything that is white/grey. If I were you I would use either clear or black. The black epoxy should hold the heat better as well, warming up the sides of your enclosure.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you line the wood, as you mention, I don't think you need to waterproof too.
Use something tough like shower pan or pond liner; Russians have sharp nails. Fold the liner up the side and staple.
Perhaps add a lip around the top edge to secure the liner and percent climb outs, though it is a nice depth, (and overall size!)

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
I might stick with a pond liner, the epoxy kind of worries me, i would have to take it outside to do it and keep it out there until dry and who knows the stray cats might end up peeing on it or something. lol

I was thinking about possibly using glue under the liner to keep it down rather then staples? would this be a safe alternative?

glad it all seems good so far! will update early april

thanks guys!

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
so ikea just dropped off the closet and its HUGE!!! the whole length of my living room wall. going to set it up and take some pictures then go tomorrow to get the rest of the stuff for inside the enclosure and start with the updates. our tortoise is coming soon so its crunch time!

I didnt expect it to be this big so im happily suprised its going to make a lovely home for our little guy/gal

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
UPDATE!

so like i mentioned the closet arrived today and I just finished building it.
here are some pictures to give you all a idea of the size. the sale ended by the time we got it so we ended up paying 95.00 for it. (still not bad at all for the size!!)
e5h0de.jpg

4t90mh.jpg

w2ftpw.jpg

so there it is in all its finished huge glory! it takes up a lot of my living room lol lucky us its pretty much a empty room for the kid to mess around with, and we can now decorate and make a little living room around the enclosure (small sofa, tv stand etc.) but so far so good. tomorrow im heading to home depot to pick up the substrate, flood bulb, and stuff to build the lid. i will have 2 hide houses in there 1 will be a wooden box and the other will be a terra cotta pot (one on each end) and after s/he has settled in i will eventually add a planter box in there for some munchies.

ps. the 'stick' in the middle was suppose to be put on the end (bottom of the closet) but i figured having it there would help keep the wire on the lid nice and stable. i do have another one that i will add to the actual build of the lid and will rest on top of this one.

(it will be lined to protect the wood)

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
yeah the closet is from ikea it came empty so you buy the extra parts (doors, shelves, etc.) ended up working a lot better then buying a book shelf length-wise they are about the same (7.7foot) but width and depth is way way better. only 'issue' i see from it is that the back(bottom in this case) is very weak its really just a cardboard/wood so you have to be sure to line it well (with plastic) and not move it around after its been filled with substrate it also has to be placed on a floor other wise you will need a ladder (ill add a pic of my kid next to it to give you a height idea) to even get inside it a few towels under the base help to keep it nice and warm in there even on the floor (however im on the 2nd floor and live in the tropics so the temps arent too much of a issue)

i do need to rebuild the lid as i only had a day to do it and the wood glue just was NOT working out... 30min dry time with clamps... what a lie that was! so i ended up having to use screws and the wood started to split... for now though they keep the cat out and hold the lamp nice

at the moment all thats in there with him is two hide houses rocks, 2 food dishes (1 terra cotta and another slate stone) and his water.
4 40lb bags hardly did much its only about 2 inches deep of substrate (not happy about that) so im going to have to buy about 4 more top soil bags and 4 bags of coco coir or pathway bark. to get it to a nice depth where i can get some plants growing in it and koopa can dig around. and also buy another light. this one creates a good basking spot but doesnt light up the whole enclosure (good for now because the darker areas are like shade) and the temp all around is perfect but id like to get another so he has two basking spots. (ill have to switch to lower watts once i add in more substrate)

we are going to take him outside for some sun and a bath a little later and i will update this with what we have so far. as well as update http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-90062.html here with some new pictures of the cute little guy :)

p.s.
It looks amazing from the outside the color of the enclosure and all atm our living room is just empty and more of a play/storage room but once i get painting and get a sofa etc. its going to look amazing. little koopa in his ikea enclosure will be the highlight of the room :)

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
few pictures, the enclosure it pretty bare at the moment but hes only been here a day as soon as i figure out in the plants the land lady is going to give me are safe they will be planted in here.

IMG_2414.JPG
IMG_2413.JPG
IMG_2415.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
update will come next month when i get a dozen more bags of substrate and a ton of plants :)
any ideas of what would be good to plant in there? im thinking clover (grows fast and would create a nice 'grassy' area) but i would like to have some real plants in there to create places to hide what kinds of plants do you guys keep in your enclosures? (the ones that last the longest atleast haha)