LeeR9619

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello, I adopted a baby Sulcata 3 days ago. The Sulcata currently weighs 44g. I built an open enclosure for my baby, and the humility and temperature in the enclosure is ideal for a Sulcata. One end of the enclosure is 80 degrees F, and the humidity is at 75%. The other end of the enclosure under the UV/Heat bulb is 98 degrees F with a humidity level of 90%. I use the repti Fogger to keep the open enclosure humidity high. I heard closed enclosure should be used for baby Sulcatas to keep the enclosure humid and heated, but with my set up, the heat and humidity is suited according to all the research I’ve done. With all the info in mind, is my open enclosure fine for a baby Sulcata?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome.

Most everyone here eventually works their way to starting & raising their Sulcatas in a fully enclosed enclosure where you can maintain optimal temperatures & humidity. It’s just impossible to maintain minimum 80 F ambient temperatures coupled with the required humidity levels.

➡️➡️ Here’s the care guide that‘s been tried & tested - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Good Luck

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
The only way you are maintaining 90% humidity is if the whole room is 90% humidity, the probe you are using is incorrect or staying constantly saturated/is inside a hide that is able to maintain higher humidity, or you are running the fogger pretty much all day. Post pics of your setup including the temperature and humidity devices you are using so we can understand what you built, thanks!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
100% closed chamber. It works so much better and you wouldn't need that fogger at all if you set it up right. Plus it keeps bills lower. Win win

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I adopted a baby Sulcata 3 days ago. The Sulcata currently weighs 44g. I built an open enclosure for my baby, and the humility and temperature in the enclosure is ideal for a Sulcata. One end of the enclosure is 80 degrees F, and the humidity is at 75%. The other end of the enclosure under the UV/Heat bulb is 98 degrees F with a humidity level of 90%. I use the repti Fogger to keep the open enclosure humidity high. I heard closed enclosure should be used for baby Sulcatas to keep the enclosure humid and heated, but with my set up, the heat and humidity is suited according to all the research I’ve done. With all the info in mind, is my open enclosure fine for a baby Sulcata?
My first thought was exactly what @PA2019 said.

Additionally, I don't like running foggers. I don't like them breathing air infused with water vapor all day. This is not the same thing as humid air.

Even further, running a humidifier is the equivalent of bailing out a sinking boat with a cup. Plug the leak and you won't be sinking any more. Its a lot less work too.

In the next few weeks and months, you will see why the open tops don't work well. Slower than normal growth and pyramiding is what will happen.

In case you have not found it yet, check this out:

One last thing: Hello and welcome! :)