closed chambers

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
My redfoot tort is about 9.5 inches and just over 5 lbs, and is about 5 years old. For right now he lives in a 6 foot by 3 foot wooden box when indoors. It is covered in heavy clear plastic shower curtains. I use a heat bulb at each end of the enclosure and one uvb tube across the middle. I use long fibred sphagnum moss as substrate. Here's photo but keep in mind this is in my basement so I don't mind that it isn't beautiful! I personally don't think you have to go 8 x 8. In this 6 x 3 I'm able to regulate temps and humidity to provide a good environment for him. 8 x 4 enclosure would be better, but he's happy in this 6 x 3. I'll be working on an 8 x 4 probably in the fall.
I think 8x4" is fine for one adult as long as it gets outdoor time too when weather permits.
Most people just don't have the space for an 8x8ft in the house.
So IMO 8x4ft is fine for an adult with outdoor time when ever possible. I do think that we could all build something like Tom's outdoor insulated box in an outdoor enclosure. So when temps are lets say 50f+ your tort can wander between insulated box and the outdoor enclosure regulating its body temp.
Mine still want to go out when it's 55f for a wander. When they decide to bunk up and don't retreat to warmth I put them back.
If you have space for 8x8ft then thats better, but you need to think about heating a larger area up. Nothing stopping you having a heated box within an area within your basement, just have a good thick layer of substrate on the cold floor. So for example if your worried about the cost of heating a big area just stick your 3x6ft in a 8x8ft area that is closed off for safety.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I think 8x4" is fine for one adult as long as it gets outdoor time too when weather permits.
Most people just don't have the space for an 8x8ft in the house.
So IMO 8x4ft is fine for an adult with outdoor time when ever possible. I do think that we could all build something like Tom's outdoor insulated box in an outdoor enclosure. So when temps are lets say 50f+ your tort can wander between insulated box and the outdoor enclosure regulating its body temp.
Mine still want to go out when it's 55f for a wander. When they decide to bunk up and don't retreat to warmth I put them back.
If you have space for 8x8ft then thats better, but you need to think about heating a larger area up. Nothing stopping you having a heated box within an area within your basement, just have a good thick layer of substrate on the cold floor. So for example if your worried about the cost of heating a big area just stick your 3x6ft in a 8x8ft area that is closed off for safety.
You are thinking how I'm thinking actually. But not until I get my spare bedroom back! The spare room used to be the reptile room but then my daughter moved back home to do an unpaid internship. That's how they ended up in the basement. Hopefully when that's done she will find a job and apartment and I'll have the room back. And that's what I was thinking of....giving him the whole room and making his heated enclosure easily accessible somehow so he can come and go.

baldegale

that just made me worry because mine is only 5-6 inches and is 5 years old aswell. unless the breeder lied, which is very possible