Closed chamber safety with electrics?

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm about to build a bigger enclosure for my baby sully underneath the legs of my Russians tort table. I am going to draw out plans etc but have a query some people with closed chambers might be able to help with.
Will it be safe to have his basking lamp and strip UVB bulb ballast inside the humid closed chamber? I've also been looking at those fogger things for humidity would that be quite dangerous? The wiring inside the chamber is really my concern.
At the moment he is in a viv with a small lamp and its fine but I want to do him an awesome humid chamber to keep him looking smooth and happy.

Any tips?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i use a closed chamber with the electronics inside just make sure your enclosure is high enough for your lights and CHE's

UVB strips produce no heat that's why we like to use them

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
And no problems with condensation or moisture on the bulb fittings? I'm a worrier lol

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Anywhere there's moisture present, it's probably a good idea to have gfci protection.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
And no problems with condensation or moisture on the bulb fittings? l

You won't have this problem if the sources are inside the chamber. Key word...inside.

You will have this problem if your heat sources sit on top.
My closed chambers all had the domes sit on top. They were sealed around the edges and the holes by the sockets were covered to avoid heat/humidity loss though the "chimney effect". However, the condensation collected around the bulbs at the socket at night (when they were off) and the lights would periodically short out when they clicked on in the morning. A cheap 65 watt bulb was easy to replace though... and my CHEs never went out.

In hind sight, a fully closed chamber with heat sources and lights inside the chamber would have been better and safer.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
All my lights are inside but they are all plugged in out of it. Also the heat emitted by the lights keeps it drier around the fixtures.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I also have my fixtures inside closed chambers without problems. A fogger should not be necessary if you make the substrate deep enough a nd keep it damp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using florescent tubes, heat lamps and CHE's inside humid closed chambers for years. Never had one problem. The heat generated by these items keeps them dry.

You should not need a humidifier inside a closed chamber.