Closed chamber lights/heat...baby prep work

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Hahaha

So far, now that I've switched to just a SolarGlo and a the CHE. Temps and humidy have stayed consistent.

Neighbor is building me a larges closed chamber, so the tank is extremely temporary, like two weeks. I think they will be fine in this for a week or two. I haven't added water ute because I have about 6" of substrate and the top sealed. Once they are moved out, I'm going to grow greens in this. Then move them outside into a garden for summer. Now that I have a 50 lb Sulcata I need to grow my own greens and get a big grassy enclosure established.

-------
Sandy
Oregon-Washington Tortoise Rescue

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Oliver the Sulcata (50 lbs)
Larry the Jordanian Greek
Curly the Eastern Hermanni
....baby Sulcata Franklin on the way!
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji
John the boyfriend stuck in Kansas...so I get more tortoises!

And while you were picking on Ken, he and I met up and he passed onto me a pig warmer for my new rescue Sulcata...plus a stall mat that will soon prove to be beyond useful. Ken is awesome, and hilarious. Same sense of humor as I. Love him. I can see a good friendship developing there.
Soon he and his wife and I will have coffee and completely geek out on tortoise talk...I can hardly wait! I have so much to learn, and I am an open book.

Tom, I can't wait to get my baby. Think Monday will work? Send to hospital if Monday. I'm there 12 hours a day Monday-Thursday.

-------
Sandy

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sandy, you could probably suspend the pig pad and put styrofoam on the top side to help direct the heat downward. This is why I'm not a fan of these pads. Bottom heat of which I'm not so much a fan of. If room heat can't be maintained then broad-base over head heat would be my second choice. When a tortoise is 6" or so, this may be achieved with an overhead light or CHE, but once they reach that 50 lb. mark, lights have a tendency to creat hot spots on the tortoise back which can't be good. For styrofoam, I'd suggest going to a large appliance store and see if they'd let you have some of the 2" thick styrofoam that is used as packing material around the products. And it should be a good price, like free. Just a thought.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Cowboy_Ken said:
Sandy, you could probably suspend the pig pad and put styrofoam on the top side to help direct the heat downward. This is why I'm not a fan of these pads. Bottom heat of which I'm not so much a fan of. If room heat can't be maintained then broad-base over head heat would be my second choice. When a tortoise is 6" or so, this may be achieved with an overhead light or CHE, but once they reach that 50 lb. mark, lights have a tendency to creat hot spots on the tortoise back which can't be good. For styrofoam, I'd suggest going to a large appliance store and see if they'd let you have some of the 2" thick styrofoam that is used as packing material around the products. And it should be a good price, like free. Just a thought.

I think your brain and my brain might be joined by some tortoise-linked neuron. I was going to look into that Tyvec foam board house siding to make a "dog house" for him with trap heat in, but I had not considered placing the pig mat on the top. Me likey. Ken smart.

-------
Sandy

Mo the Sulcata (4.8 lbs)
Lola the Basenji
Dexter the Basenji