Closed Chamber: Leopard Edition

JanelP

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I know this is an old post.
It's a neat DIY to keep the humidity in with a top. I'm curious how long you keep them in this enviornment. I see some of these are 18-24 months. what if outside is not ideal for but a few months a year (though I've seen some posts about them hibernating)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know this is an old post.
It's a neat DIY to keep the humidity in with a top. I'm curious how long you keep them in this enviornment. I see some of these are 18-24 months. what if outside is not ideal for but a few months a year (though I've seen some posts about them hibernating)
For at least 2 years they should be kept in closed chamber high humidity. They can have short times outside.

SheLLife

Kentucky
Oh my gosh! I wish I had seen this a long time ago! Maybe get one for outside! Thank you for sharing. Wish I had an entire room to dedicate to torties!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Hey all. Just wanted to do an update on my leopard enclosure. It is still working very well. The lifetime raised bed is a GREAT indoor enclosure option for younger tortoises or for overwintering yearlings through juveniles.
Here are some photos.
View attachment 113566
View attachment 113567
View attachment 113568
View attachment 113569
View attachment 113570
View attachment 113571
View attachment 113572
Clear heavy duty shower curtain secured between the stacked bards. Foam mat under enclosure.
View attachment 113574

Link to the lifetime raised bed kit that I used:
Lifetime Raised Garden Bed Kit, # 60053 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Other enclosure information:
4'x4'
Heavy duty shower curtain for liner.
Ecoearth coco coir substrate.
Live and fake plants.
Driftwood and rocks.
Multiple hides.
Water dish/spa (lol)
Lamps over basking rocks and water dish, each with 60w incandescents.
CHE's on hydrofarm thermostats in the corners with the hides.
24" hydrofarm High Output T5 fixture with a Reptisun 10.0 HO T5 bulb.
That's just beautiful! I think I'm going to go this route. I'm going to grow some grass in certain sections for a few weeks before I purchase my shelled family member though. I want everything to be perfect before he goes in.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
For at least 2 years they should be kept in closed chamber high humidity. They can have short times outside.
That's the answer I was fishing for! 2 years until the leo is no longer dependent on a closed chamber humidity to prevent pyramiding?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's the answer I was fishing for! 2 years until the leo is no longer dependent on a closed chamber humidity to prevent pyramiding?
But, they should still have a warm humid hide. And the longer you keep them in a closed chamber the better but pretty much not pass three. They are usually by that age, at least mine were, too big to not have a regular outdoor enclosure. I still try to keep humidity up and mine are 7 years. Humid hide or natural humidity which I have a fair amount of it and then use sprinklers to help up it.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I intend on having a warm enclosure indoors during winter months. I will even build a small shed when I move down south, too.

MidwestyB

Iowa
If I used this setup for a Hermanns, do you think I would need the fogger?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I used this setup for a Hermanns, do you think I would need the fogger?
You don't need a fogger even if you DON'T use this set up. The hermanns doesn't require the high humidity that this thread is talking about for leopard tortoises.

MidwestyB

Iowa
You don't need a fogger even if you DON'T use this set up. The hermanns doesn't require the high humidity that this thread is talking about for leopard tortoises.
I know they don’t need as high of humidity, just some as babies, so i’m guessing it would hold some maybe by spraying the substrate if needed… still trying to work out what enclosure route I want to go. Thanks!!