BTM

Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
Hello,
I'm researching/preparing to get my first Hermann's Tortoise. I'm looking for advice on an indoor enclosure. After doing much research, I'd like to go with the closed chamber/high humidity at least for the first year or so. I really want something that is aesthetically pleasing, as it will be in my living room and I don't want some major DIY contraption although I realize I will have to piece it together a bit. I have been looking at the largest Exo-terra and ZooMed (the glass ones, not the wooden box) as I like the glass with the front doors but I need to figure out a way to close off the top and have the lights inside. Does anyone have any suggestions? Pics would be soooo helpful and appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wise choice! A closed chamber doesn't mean you have to have high humidity. It just means that whatever humidity and heat you generate isn't floating up and into the room leaving your tortoise too cool and dry. It is a much better and much more efficient way to house any tortoise.

I would suggest contacting @Markw84 for your enclosure. He has the most perfect enclosures I've ever seen, and they are designed and built meticulously by him specifically to meet the specialized needs of tortoises. They are also ridiculously cheap for what you get, to the point that I tease him that he's taking a loss on each enclosure he sells. He does it because he loves it.

Here is some care info in case you haven't found this thread yet:

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

Mark's enclosure is a beauty. You see it below. Also, @Kapidolo Farms , where you can buy all the dried tort food you can think of.

BTM

New York, NY
Wise choice! A closed chamber doesn't mean you have to have high humidity. It just means that whatever humidity and heat you generate isn't floating up and into the room leaving your tortoise too cool and dry. It is a much better and much more efficient way to house any tortoise.

I would suggest contacting @Markw84 for your enclosure. He has the most perfect enclosures I've ever seen, and they are designed and built meticulously by him specifically to meet the specialized needs of tortoises. They are also ridiculously cheap for what you get, to the point that I tease him that he's taking a loss on each enclosure he sells. He does it because he loves it.

Here is some care info in case you haven't found this thread yet:

Thanks so much!!! I will absolutely reach out to him. Curious, what level of humidity would you recommend for a Hermann's, and also by chance do you happen to know of any breeders?

BTM

New York, NY

Mark's enclosure is a beauty. You see it below. Also, @Kapidolo Farms , where you can buy all the dried tort food you can think of.

Thanks, and i really appreciate the video......really beautiful enclosure.....exactly what I'm looking for!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much!!! I will absolutely reach out to him. Curious, what level of humidity would you recommend for a Hermann's, and also by chance do you happen to know of any breeders?
For a baby I'd shoot for 60-70%, but also have damp substrate it can dig into and a humid hide. Older larger tortoise can certainly handle drier conditions than that, but moderate humidity is good for them too.

I don't know of any breeders that start them the way I think they should be started.

BTM

New York, NY
For a baby I'd shoot for 60-70%, but also have damp substrate it can dig into and a humid hide. Older larger tortoise can certainly handle drier conditions than that, but moderate humidity is good for them too.

I don't know of any breeders that start them the way I think they should be started.

Thanks. Yeah, I've read a lot of your posts and agree, I'd like to have one that's started in the closed chamber system. Here's my dilemma....I'd actually really like to get a Burmese Star. Whatever I get will start out it's first couple of years indoors here with me in NYC then will be moving to my home in Hawaii. So, I've been thinking size-wise, I should maybe get the Hermann's, but am still wondering if it would be ok if I got the Burmese and it would be ok size to keep indoors for the first couple of years. How long does it take for them to reach full size? Apologies for all the questions! You are so knowledgeable, I figured since I've got you.....lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks. Yeah, I've read a lot of your posts and agree, I'd like to have one that's started in the closed chamber system. Here's my dilemma....I'd actually really like to get a Burmese Star. Whatever I get will start out it's first couple of years indoors here with me in NYC then will be moving to my home in Hawaii. So, I've been thinking size-wise, I should maybe get the Hermann's, but am still wondering if it would be ok if I got the Burmese and it would be ok size to keep indoors for the first couple of years. How long does it take for them to reach full size? Apologies for all the questions! You are so knowledgeable, I figured since I've got you.....lol
Both are great tortoises. A really large female Burmese star only gets to 11", and the males only about 9". This really isn't much bigger than a female hermanni at 9-10".

A Burmese star should be fine in a large indoor closed chamber enclosure for a couple of years. I won't have any until early 2021, but I think @Markw84 has some perfectly started larger sized babies right now.

Reactions: BTM

BTM

New York, NY
Both are great tortoises. A really large female Burmese star only gets to 11", and the males only about 9". This really isn't much bigger than a female hermanni at 9-10".

A Burmese star should be fine in a large indoor closed chamber enclosure for a couple of years. I won't have any until early 2021, but I think @Markw84 has some perfectly started larger sized babies right now.

Wow, that is great to hear.....Burmese Star is really what I covet the most. What size do you think the minimum would be to keep it in for the first couple of years?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, that is great to hear.....Burmese Star is really what I covet the most. What size do you think the minimum would be to keep it in for the first couple of years?
2x4' is good for a small one. When it gets big enough, you can easily do an add on from Mark. He makes his enclosures modular, so you can cheaply and easily double the tortoise living space when needed.

Reactions: BTM

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
2x4' is good for a small one. When it gets big enough, you can easily do an add on from Mark. He makes his enclosures modular, so you can cheaply and easily double the tortoise living space when needed.
Marks are the best ones out there by far! He has thought of everything! Saves so much money in the long run!

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Mark’s enclosures are really easy to put together as well. I am not very handy, I’m 60 years old, and I really didn’t have any trouble sliding it together and plugging in the cords.The hardest thing for me was opening the crate.

BTM

New York, NY

Thanks so much for all your help Tom, I truly appreciate it!! And, seriously, your posts are incredibly helpful. I have been doing my due diligence for a couple of years in deciding whether or not to get a tortoise, and not once did I come across anything mentioning "closed chamber" until I saw your posts. You should start a youtube channel because I haven't seen a single video on the subject and your knowledge is invaluable!!