Closed chamber enclosure advice please!

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Hey guys, after two weeks my closed chamber is finally finished. I ordered my Red Foot Tortoise from http://www.tortoisesupply.com

The enclosure is 4x2. I have a CHE on a temp controller with a UVA bulb on a timer from 8AM to 8PM. My hide is a plastic pot with a hole cut in the middle, I also have a spider plant that I separated into two pots. I have a food dish and a water bowl. Basking temp is in the mid 90s and the other side of the enclosure is mid/upper 70s. I am debating wether to put cypress mulch on top of the coco fiber I am using incase the coco is too damp which I'm told could cause she'll rot. Uvb strip light is above as seen in the pictures. Let me know what you guys think!:)

Anyone think it is necessary to add cypress mulch as a top layer above coco coir?

Please add any other advice:D

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442176265.429173.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442176244.815823.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442176256.384558.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Everything looks pretty good to me but we can't see the bulbs. you're using the coil ones, I assume.
how are you covering it to keep the humidity and heat in?

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
Everything looks pretty good to me but we can't see the bulbs. you're using the coil ones, I assume.
how are you covering it to keep the humidity and heat in?

I don't use coil bulbs I know they are bad for tortoises. There is a CHE and a 75 watt UVA heat bulb in the two light holders. I'm covering the viewing hole in the side and top of the enclosure with acrylic sheets.