Closed chamber cord exiting questions

Wright78

Location (City and/or State)
North Attleboro MA
There shouldn't be a problem with the temp and humidity. Mine is very stable. I have everything on times and thermostats. I also am using 4 sensor push temp and humidity sensors, 1 in each corner. You can set them up to whatever temp and humidity and it will send you alerts thru your phone, it also tracks and stores all the data.

These are the sensors.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This is the wifi gateway to link your phone.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N17RWWV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
There shouldn't be a problem with the temp and humidity. Mine is very stable. I have everything on times and thermostats. I also am using 4 sensor push temp and humidity sensors, 1 in each corner. You can set them up to whatever temp and humidity and it will send you alerts thru your phone, it also tracks and stores all the data.

These are the sensors.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AEQ9X9I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This is the wifi gateway to link your phone.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N17RWWV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I got one of the "Sensor Push" sensors, and am loving the graphing/charting function ... I put mine in the coolest part of the enclosure, but am now wondering about getting another one or two (for the warmest spot and for Darwin's preferred hide) ... how do the graphing/charting functions work/display with multiple sensors running?

Thanks,

Jamie

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
Each sensor is given a name and you view each sensor separately. I have not output any of the information I just view each one. They are very reactive I can see each time I open the enclosure and the changes in the temp and humidity. It's great the front one notifies me first then the rear on the same side, and if it is open long enough the others notify me.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
@Wright78 Are the wire clips you used on the ceiling of your closed chamber screwed into it or just adhesive? Could you provide a link to where you got them?

Wright78

North Attleboro MA

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
What is your method of heating the enclosure?

I will be using 2 mini 75 watt CHE’s. The closed chamber I have is 18” high, so the volume of air needed to heat is a lot less than 24” or 30” high chambers. I’m still tinkering with the setup but the CHE’s are exactly what I need with I fan I am running to circulate warm arm throughout the enclosure so far. I’m still waiting on my 4’ LED bars to arrive.

Attachments

• B4814294-26C0-432E-A1D5-1972EA1C4572.jpeg
    B4814294-26C0-432E-A1D5-1972EA1C4572.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • AFE79598-8220-4A2A-8908-880D2886537B.jpeg
    AFE79598-8220-4A2A-8908-880D2886537B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
So I made some progress with the lighting and heating. The 4' UVB, 2 4' LED bars, 2 75w CHE's, and the 35w halogen flood have been installed and the wiring cleaned up.

fNP0Zs8YRVuzV5KV%X8ybw.jpg

segCMUo0RVqSfUBkDhNWIQ.jpg

Next up is drilling my exit holes for the cords. I bought the following kit on Amazon, and am hopeful it will work. I am a bit concerned the PVC may start to melt while drilling and gunk up the hole saw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V987NM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

SEhcCEs2SHKs6nVG1CCrwg.jpg

Where/how are people are placing their temperature probes for regulating their heating? I will be using 2 auto temp controllers for each CHE I have, and each has a 4-5' probe cord.

1) Should I have the probe hang down from the ceiling 2 inches above the substrate surface?
2) Should I place the probes on the substrate surface?

I have a fan that will be blowing along the front of the tank to hopefully keep the sliding doors from fogging up and make sure the CHE's don't create an overly strong heat spot directly underneath them.

Thoughts/pictures of probe placement would be most appreciated.

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
So I made some progress with the lighting and heating. The 4' UVB, 2 4' LED bars, 2 75w CHE's, and the 35w halogen flood have been installed and the wiring cleaned up.

View attachment 267202

View attachment 267203

Next up is drilling my exit holes for the cords. I bought the following kit on Amazon, and am hopeful it will work. I am a bit concerned the PVC may start to melt while drilling and gunk up the hole saw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V987NM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

View attachment 267204

Where/how are people are placing their temperature probes for regulating their heating? I will be using 2 auto temp controllers for each CHE I have, and each has a 4-5' probe cord.

1) Should I have the probe hang down from the ceiling 2 inches above the substrate surface?
2) Should I place the probes on the substrate surface?

I have a fan that will be blowing along the front of the tank to hopefully keep the sliding doors from fogging up and make sure the CHE's don't create an overly strong heat spot directly underneath them.

Thoughts/pictures of probe placement would be most appreciated.

Great job!
IMG_1552507933.731279.jpg
I just installed my cameras today, and my fans just came in.

I have my CHE probes at about top of the shell height right under my CHE’s. This is also the reason why I slotted the back of the enclosure just enough for each cord to allow me to run each cord directly out the back to make the most of each cord length with no extensions.

As for drilling the hole I would go very slowly and it shouldn’t melt.

Last edited:

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
I would also seal all the bottom edges of the tank with a 100% silicone and let it air out. The smell gets very strong in the enclosure.

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
Do you also know the weight rating of that table that the enclosure is on?
Enclosure weight, wet substrate, plants, decorations, dishes, tortoise. It adds up fast. I calculated mine at close to 1000lbs.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I would also seal all the bottom edges of the tank with a 100% silicone and let it air out. The smell gets very strong in the enclosure.

Good to know. I have some leftover aquarium sealant from a previous project, so I'll work on that this weekend. The table should be good, it is a commercial grade folding table from Sam's Club, 2,000lb capacity.

The last big project is sourcing 2cuft orchid bark bags to create a 3" layer over a base of coco coir in Gainesville or nearby. I have another month or two before the occupants arrive but want at least 2 weeks with everything finished to get the temps/humidity dialed in.